Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning For Indie Creators! - Shocker Toys/Comics, GBJR Toys

Warning For Indie Creators! - Shocker Toys/Comics, GBJR Toys

I've been avoiding posting some stuff on this for a while now, because I know some didn't feel it fit with the Olney thread, which is fair enough, but it wasn't really enough for its own thread.

Now it is.

As of this date, people are STILL waiting for toys pre-ordered from Shocker Toys......the SDCC 2010 exclusives!

That's right, FIVE MONTHS since the convention, and customers STILL don't have their toys. They ordered them to pick up at the con, or be shipped out the day after. They paid upfront.

Still nothing.

Shocker has given a barrage of 'excuses', all time-tested Shocker Toys. Originally they were made, but were 'taken by customs'. Well, it'd still be easy to post photos of the final products right? No. Nothing. No proof, nothing. Not the first time, far from it.

A week or two ago, they actually added to the story, that it was also due to 'toolings not being received from the factory they were with, which closed down'. Now, while small runs like Shockers aren't a high priority for factories, this has supposedly happened MULTIPLE times, at least 4, IIRC.

Then people were told that 'if they couldn't wait', to email for a refund, but that 'they wouldn't be allowed to buy from Shocker again', blaming the customers for the company's inability to make good, AFTER money was taken starting from June 2. So we're looking at 6 months + from the date of payment for these customers! STILL no word on when they'll be available.

See this thread at their forum for details. http://www.shockertoys.com/forum/vie...hp?f=59&t=3619

It's pretty self-explanatory.

Now, the second part, and the reason behind this post. This was posted on Shocker's forum yesterday. I'm quoting it here, and sharing the link. This is really typical of the company, they have a grand idea, make a heap of announcements, then nothing. Rinse, repeat.

Well, now they stated they are setting up a comics company, the 'Indieverse' (I kinda think the name alone warrants a warning )

''Looking to put your Independent Characters in the spotlight?

Postby ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:24 pm
    Let’s face it with Marvel and DC cornering the market on comics everyone big and small needs an upper hand. Diamond Distributors is making less room for Indy Comics in Previews and there doesn’t seem to be an avenue for Indy Comic creators to take... Until Now! We here at Shocker Toys in conjunction with our popular Indy Comic Toyline “Indie Spotlight” have created a new Universe for Indy Comics called “Indieverse”.

Indieverse is a new comic universe like Marvel and DC which will feature ongoing story arcs with a diverse number of Indy Comic characters who will fight to destroy evil or become evil themselves. This new comic universe will take back Indy Comics and put them where they belong into the Spotlight and into the hands of the many customers looking for new and unique comic stories, characters and comic toys.

Whether your characters are big or small, powerful or powerless they will all get the same treatment and fill out the universe we have created. Now you ask “what does it involve?” It is very simple to be part of this new and growing universe. Once you have signed your characters into the Indieverse they are signed for the life of Indieverse. Your characters are featured throughout on ongoing story plot and subplots followed with promotion everywhere Indieverse is promoted. You will still publish your own non-indieverse books on your own and own all the rights to your characters. But for the Indieverse books and story you will be featured when called upon to be part of the Universal story and you will have full control over art and your characters along with having your character turned into a 6” action figure part of the Indie Spotlight/Indieverse toyline which will support the Indieverse featuring many of the Indy cast from within the books. As an added bonus you will get advertising space for your books in our Indieverse books that you are featured in.

The Indieverse has already started to grow and we will be releasing a new story set in the 1940’s, present and future linking with our Golden Age comic book heroes toys (The Heap, The Blue Beetle, The Arrow, The DareDevil and The Black Terror), Phaser and other indy characters in the next few months. If you are interested in becoming part of this universe and taking back the comic industry please email us at info@shockertoys.com

Feel free to discuss, ask questions and show your characters here.''

http://www.shockertoys.com/forum/vie...hp?f=78&t=3685

Yep. You agree to give them your creations 'for the life of the Indyverse'. Well, what is that?

They've been talking about Indy Spotlight for 3+ years now, and only produced one wave of figures and a few exclusives, and are struggling with the 'latest' exclusives, as mentioned above. Now, this could well mean that your characters could be in their control for this time, with nothing done with them, and you won't be able to do anything about it.

PLEASE do your research on this. If you wish to sign up for it, fine. Good luck to you.

BUT PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH ON THESE PEOPLE BEFORE AGREEING TO ANYTHING.

I'd expect they'll start posting on comic boards and sending emails to creators anytime now.

Please, be careful. Look out for your interests, and be SURE of what you're agreeing to!

EDIT 25/6/12. Please check page 12 for latest update. Namechange to GBJR Toys in the works.
    Last edited by KJ!; 06-25-2012 at 03:39 AM.
    "There seems to be something in the human condition that makes people dislike people that they think are different. If we could get rid of that, it'd be a better world" - Stan Lee

Re: Warning For Indie Creators! PLEASE Do Your OWN Research - Shocker Toys/Comics

Wow. That's amazing. I'm really stunned. Thanks for this post KJ - this is definitely the kind of info that needs to be shared.

Re: Warning For Indie Creators! PLEASE Do Your OWN Research - Shocker Toys/Comics

Good advice. Thanks for posting this.
    Follow me @Marcdachamp on Twitter

Yeah, sounds like I wouldn't trust these people with a ten foot pole. And what exactly does "You control the art" mean? Would that mean that you do all the art yourself? If that's the case, at least from me, they would get a bunch of flashy panel layouts....and shit poor anatomy.

Nope, I'll keep trying for something else myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Shel Silverstein
    Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    My Mind's Eye

Well, they mention 'the universe we have created'.

WHAT have they ACTUALLY created?

A world with no notable characters.

Everyone BUT them will create those. They'll just own and control them. Yeah, nothing big there.

I'll give you a blank piece of paper. That doesn't mean I created whatever you decide to draw on it.

And oh yeah, Shocker is blacklisted with Diamond after their attempted scam. So you're being asked to do comics with no chance of success, and that's BEFORE anything's even been really done. You have the largest primary source for comics UNAVAILABLE to you. You're literally better off without them. That's before you've even written a single word, or drawn a single line.
    "There seems to be something in the human condition that makes people dislike people that they think are different. If we could get rid of that, it'd be a better world" - Stan Lee

Well technically the Big Two tend to own any new characters that are created for their universes. So I think that's the model they're going with. It's also archaic, there's been numerous battles about it over the years (including the Siegle and Shuster lawsuit and the creation of Image), and really infuriating when you have to watch someone else kill off your characters.

Ain't that right Gail?
    Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    My Mind's Eye

Shocker is actually e-mailing creators directly with this. I received mine on Monday.

When I replied to the e-mail telling them Indie Verse is an existing online radio station they didn't seem to understand the implications of possible branding issues.

Unfortunately there are creators out there that will accept this offer just to be published.

I'm smart enough to not be one of them. See, I may not be the smartest businessman, but I can smell a rat from time to time.
    My Mind's Eye

I wouldn't want to breathe the same air at a con as these assclowns, and I will warn everybody I talk to. They're either incompetent poseurs, or crooks, or both. In either case, they're dumber than the proverbial bag of doorknobs. Like you suggested KJ, researching trademarks and copyright info ain't that hard--for anyone with internet access. Having gone through all of that for my own Golden Age shit, I gotta say that was the easiest part. Dealing with a publisher with perhaps a narrow view of what comics should be, who hates what you do--THAT was the hard part.

Do they even have the licensing for Tick, Grendel and Blue Beetle? DC owns every version of the Beetle--and have since 1982, when they bought him from Charleton.

Yeah, doing your research is key. Also, be sure to READ any contract thoroughly before signing, have a contract lawyer look it over if needs be to make sure that you know what you are getting yourself into.

Being able to "control" a character (as they are promising) is a damn site different from owning a character, especially since the latter at least lets you profit.

Plus, reading that your character will be pulled into company events suggests to me that "control" isn't exactly there, anyway.