Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Community

Re: Community

Quote Originally Posted by scout1279 View Post
    I wish I were named Kevin.
    Ya, I need to find a way to get it onto my phone. Straight recording it from my computer speakers didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Favourite characters on the show?
    Troy, for sure.

The Troy and Abed dynamic is so excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwing263 View Post
    Troy, for sure.

The Troy and Abed dynamic is so excellent.
    Yeah, they are great.

Usually Abed, but it can change depending on the episode. They're all great characters.

One problem I do have with the characters is that, in one episode they might learn something and grow as characters but in the very next episode, they are right back to where they started. Its a bit distracting, to me at least.
    Last edited by Gryphon; 10-29-2010 at 11:42 AM.

One problem I do have with the characters is that, in one episode they might learn something and grow as characters but in the very next episode, they are right back to where they started. Its a bit distracting, to me at least.
    Or is it just me who feels that way?

Or is it just me who feels that way?
    No. Though I think it's a limitation of sitcoms in general. I can't think of a single one that doesn't have that problem.

Abed and Chang. Jeff is also pretty funny. The other characters definitely have their moments (particularly Annie).

Actually that's one the the strengths of the series in my opinion. Each character functions on two levels, one a multi-faceted dynamic character and one a broad stereotype. This way each individual episode can focus on any particular character's journey, with the rest playing supporting roles. That way across the season each character gets a few episodes about them, rather than the show being strictly Jeff's story of dealing with zany friends.

Shirley can play a hot-headed stereotypical black woman, or a offensive, evangelical Christian. However she can also support an episode about how she is a gossip and an instigator but struggles against those qualities in order to keep her friends.

Peirce can be a befuddled old man desperately wanting to seem cool, but he can also be a man who is lonely and secretly deeply wishes he can get the respect of the group.

While they experience long term character growth it doesn't effect their basic personalities. And they do demonstrate long term character growth. Such as last season's Christmas episode featured Shirley learning the value of ecumenicalism, the rest of the group learned to respect Shirley's religion. Cut to the Abed movie where Britta participates in Shirley's film because Shirley asks her to. Shirley makes no attempts to convert Abed, she's merely upset at the portrayal of Jesus in his movie. And it ends with both Abed and Shirley sharing a moment of bonding over religious principals.

Certainly you can not make the claim that Jeff has remained a static character.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Y View Post
    No. Though I think it's a limitation of sitcoms in general. I can't think of a single one that doesn't have that problem.
    Scrubs, maybe.