BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: So I just twittered some Bullshit that doesn't belong on Twitter :-)

Re: So I just twittered some Bullshit that doesn't belong on Twitter :-)

and quite a few writers complained to me today that they would write better but they aren't getting paid to do it.

having lived the first 10 years of my career making no money and having lived with artists and writers who have done the same... I don't care about that.

you either work really hard and really try to make something worthwhile or you don't. money has nothing to do with it. if you find a way to make money doing it fantastic. that I lived for many years under the impression that I was never ever ever going to make a dime. and so did a great many of my peers. money and the quality of your work should have nothing to do with each other. it just an excuse to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    and quite a few writers complained to me today that they would write better but they aren't getting paid to do it.

having lived the first 10 years of my career making no money and having lived with artists and writers who have done the same... I don't care about that.

you either work really hard and really try to make something worthwhile or you don't. money has nothing to do with it. if you find a way to make money doing it fantastic. that I lived for many years under the impression that I was never ever ever going to make a dime. and so did a great many of my peers. money and the quality of your work should have nothing to do with each other. it just an excuse to fail.
    I was honored to sit with you at the Harvey Awards, 2009, where it took 18 years of ploughing away in utter obscurity to ultimately win the "Best New Talent" category.

It isn't about fame, money, etc.
    It's about those who are driven to do what they do.

We just can't help it.

We do. And then we're fortunate, or blessed, when what we do is recognized enough to pay us for what we were compelled to do in the first place.

I am honored to call you colleague and friend.

Quote Originally Posted by En Sabah Poo View Post
    Its hard to write an in depth thoughtful review of something that takes five minutes to read. Comics almost demand short blurb like reviews.
    It doesn't take 5 minutes to write the script or draw the book. You can write a good amount of stuff about anything if you take a good close look at it and also if you step back a bit. If you're reading comics in 5 minutes, then you're missing a lot of the effort being put into it.
    ERNIE E.
    Associate Editor/Community Manager
    BUZZFOCUS.COM

ALSO FIND ME ON TWITTER & FACEBOOK

& IF YOU WANT TO READ MY FANTASY FOOTBALL WORK, PLEASE VISIT ME AT BRUNOBOYS.NET

!
    Last edited by Patch; 09-27-2010 at 07:43 PM.

That reasoning makes absolutely no sense to me.

How will you ever hope to get paid if you're writing crap?

First you write well, then you get paid. Not vice versa.

you’ll forgive me but I think that a snarky pseudo-hip attitude towards mainstream comics is uninteresting.
    I've been saying this for a long time.

I've taken a lot of shots from people who assume I can't take criticism (I once went on iFanboy for a "special discussion" about comics reviewers), but I'm generally reviewed pretty favorably, even if I don't always think those reviews "got" the books in question.

I get so sick of offhanded snark aimed at people who are really dumping heart and soul into their work. It fosters a negative environment that really does no one any good.

-BCM
    --------------------------------------------------
    The NEW BCM Blog (opinions and whimsy)
    Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by BClayMoore View Post
    I get so sick of offhanded snark aimed at people who are really dumping heart and soul into their work. It fosters a negative environment that really does no one any good.

-BCM
    I agree wholeheartedly, and find it ten times more frustrating when I see it coming from other comic creators.

RECKSTAR - a webcomic in space! Updates Tuesdays | GATEWALKER - an urban fantasy serial novel from JukePopSerials.com! Updates...?
    Words of wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by Mylazycat View Post
    Seriously, you should be writing comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by dasNdanger View Post
    Can you please write all my comic books from now on??
    treat others the way you want to be treated, you dicks.
    "Don't be cool. Like everything." - Shaky Kane

Quote Originally Posted by NeverWanderer View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly, and find it ten times more frustrating when I see it coming from other comic creators.
    I don't hear much of that in public. Obviously in private you hear all kinds of things, but it strikes me that most creators I know seem to work not to blast their peers in public forums.

What purpose does it serve?

-BCM
    The NEW BCM Blog (opinions and whimsy)
    Twitter!

I remember being at the Comics and Criticism panel at San Diego, the panelists were really disappointed in the amount of people that were there.

In short, I don't think there is much of a market for it. Personally I have no desire to read a long text piece taking apart and critically examining a work. I do think it would be of value, especially to creators and editors who are in the business of making comics. But are they willing to pay for it? As others in the thread have mentioned, there is a lot of brain power work that goes into doing this and writers with that ability aren't likely to do it for free. Or at least not for very long.
    Regards,
    Jamie Coville
    CollectorTimes.com
    TheComicBooks.com

I think I'm using my English and theory background to write decent articles on subjects I have access to:

http://man-size.livejournal.com/475787.html

http://www.nycgraphicnovelists.com/2...aphically.html

http://www.nycgraphicnovelists.com/2...lution-is.html

Spoiler:
    Click on AM/UK Banner for Rock n' Comix: