Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3D Movies...Great Or Sucky?

3D Movies...Great Or Sucky?

I'm not sure I care about 3d at all. I though Avatar was an asspain and part of it was the 3d.

What do you guys think?

Re: 3D Movies...Great Or Sucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone View Post
    I'm not sure I care about 3d at all. I though Avatar was an asspain and part of it was the 3d.

What do you guys think?
    Wasn't all that crazy about Avatar's story but I liked the effects...but you want to talk sucky 3D??

Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans!

...'nuff said

You want good 3D? Toy Story 3

I just don't feel vested enough in 3d to buy a 3D HDTV and all the extras.

Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

I never cared for 3D, the idea is quite pointless

Im not a fan of 3D movies.

3D Movies...Great Or Sucky?
    The answer to that is YES.

It really depends on the movie. It seems 3D works and looks a LOT better with computer generated cartoons than live action. I loved Avatar and though it looked very good in 3D, but the strongest 3D aspects of it were computer generated.
    The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous

Cheap sucky gimmick. If Hollywood wanted to put a gimmick back in to theaters they should have bet on Smell O Vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent G View Post
    Cheap sucky gimmick. If Hollywood wanted to put a gimmick back in to theaters they should have bet on Smell O Vision.
    Nah, Feel Around is a much better option....
    The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous

So far, 3D has been irrelevant to my experience of movies. The depth effects haven't really wowed me that much to a point where I think it's a new step forward in cinematography--in fact, I think the ingenuity of lens choice in 2D manipulates depth more expertly and subtly--nor have I seen a movie where I've thought 3D was integral to the experience. And since it's estimated that up to 10% of the population cannot even experience stereoscopic 3D, its appeal and supposed benefits are lost on a lot of people.

I still believe that if filmmakers want to give audiences an immersive and unforgettable experience, then it will involve a compelling story, characters you care about, and a unique vision rather than the use of stereoscopic glasses.

EDIT:
    One movie that I was glad to see balk at the trend of 3D-ification was Inception.
    Last edited by Infra-Man; 09-02-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: wrong percentage, more blah blah-ing
    Movie news, features, reviews, and miscellany: My work at Flixist
    Movie reviews and criticism: My stuff on CriticWire

Join us. Resistance is futile.
    Change your default settings.

Depends on the film. Avatar looked pretty good, but I heard a lot of people stating that the 3D effects in the Last Airbender (unsurprisingly. It was an M Night Shamylan movie after all.) sucked.

I saw Avatar in 3D and in 2D (Mom can't do 3D) and I found it much more enjoyable in 3D.

However, other movies like Clash of the Titans and Alice in Wonderland didn't improve any with the 3D.

I think my favorite 3D movies are the ones where they use it on a more subtle level. I saw the animated movie Bolt in 3D and was blown away just by the opening shot - a very simple 'push' through the window from the street to see the puppy in the shop. It was very well done.

In general, I don't think movies benefit that much from the process, though I heard Pirhana was a lot of gimmicky fun (so was Brendan Fraser's Journey to the Center of the Earth a few years back - bad movie but the 3D there was kinda fun in places)