Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Trades And Hardcovers You Got Recently

Re: Trades And Hardcovers You Got Recently

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett;8373022I got two small hardcover GN's: [URL="http://www.mary-talbot.co.uk/dotter.php"
    Dotter of Her Father's Eyes[/URL] by Mary and Bryan Talbot, and BB Wolf and the Three LP's. The Talbots' book was excellent. I haven't finished the BB Wolf one yet. It's a weird story loosely based on the Three Little Pigs story, set in the South in the 1920's with white people cast as pigs and black people as wolves. But the wolves are kept subjugated by the pigs. The title character is a wolf blues musician out for revenge. Like I said, it's a very odd concept and I'm not sure yet if it works or not. The art is good, and it comes with a bonus CD of blues music... three songs supposedly recorded by the title character. Haven't listened to it yet.
    Dotter of Her Father's Eyes is flat out excellent. I knew Bryan's end would be great, but Mary really impressed me as a first time comics writer. (Granted, it probably helps when you're married to a bonafide comics legend.) What's especially cool is that Bryan Talbot has managed to put out four original graphic novels in the past five years, plus that Metronome book he did under the alias Veronique Tanaka, which I guess actually makes five OGNs. That's really rare in the Anglophonic market.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Just order the new English edition of Corto Maltese: Ballad of the Salt Sea by Hugo Pratt. This is one of those seminal works that doesn't get mentioned much these days, but it's influence is massive. I've never read it, so I can't wait until it arrives.
    Cool -- I bought a few issues of the comics serialization some publisher put out a decade or so ago, and liked what I saw... but never got to the end of the story. (Either the serialization stopped, or my story stopped getting it.) I'll keep an eye out for this!

Been a while since I posted here. Tim to play catch up.

Wolverine by Greg Rucka Ultimate Collection - Sold the second I saw it. Rucka is one of those writers who has never disappointed me yet and I very much enjoyed this. A shame he couldn't have lasted longer. Very much considering biting the bullet and giving Mark Millar and JRJR another chance since Enemy of the State is the next volume in sequence.

The Boys: The Name of the Game - Okay this was... a Garth Ennis story. It's more bullshit about how superheroes would be dicks if they were real because the world is full of sadness, the kind of crap I'd expect from a whiny teenager than a grown man, but it was still a good read. Can tell where he was coming from when he said he wanted to outdo Preacher.

Siege: New Avengers - I remember on the forums a while back, when Siege was going on, there was a topic about a Marvel solicit saying all the Avengers titles were going to be cancelled, to which Bendis responded that this was the first he had heard of it. I don't think he was joking because, and I had this problem with Dark Avengers too, the ending of this series just felt a little too abrupt. I liked it, I did enjoy the whole run, but I couldn't help but feel that if Bendis had one more issue to work with he could have given us a much better ending.

Secret Six: The Darkest House - Why did you have to cancel this series, DC? This could have kept running instead of one of the four Batman titles.

Red Robin: Seven Days of Death - Liked it, but I wasn't fond of the implication that if the reboot hadn't happened, Tim would become a murderer. Was probably just something Nicieza threw in for the hell of it.

Spawn Origins Volume 14 - Getting sick of the filler introspective issues since they ultimately just tell us the same thing we already know, but I thought it was an interesting cliff hanger to end on. Can't wait for volume 15 to see what happened.

Deadpool: Operation Annihilation - I like Way as a writer, but to me he seems to be regressing Deadpool to his old ways rather than pushing the character forward. Looking forward to the insanity asylum story.
    Living With Insanity - Because why else would you try to make comics?

Gemini Storm - My first published work. Free Issue #3 to anyone who gets their local store to stock the title.
    Just Another Day - Rock stars get killed.

The only comic related book I've bought recently was Bunny In The Moon : The Art Of Tara McPherson Volume III, which is a book of artwork by Tara McPherson, who has done comic work for Vertiigo and some other publishers.

While there is no storyline in the book, it will appeal to comic fans who love fantasy and sci-finart. Tara uses an unusual colour palette with lots of black, green, pale blue and pink. She also has a wicked sense of humour in her work and more than a dose of feminism and female empowerment.

One strange thing about Tara's art is that she can jump between cuddly, Hello Kitty type characters to puking demonic priestess in one jump. There is also a lot of mild female nudity in the book, none of which seems gratuitous.

It came out a couple of weeks ago and was published by Black Horse Books. The US price is $23.99, although I paid £17.99 in ye olde Pounds Sterling.
    I am a spaceship.

MOO!

Going to check my soon-to-be-defunct LCS and see if any of Gail's stuff is in stock so I can get more for cheap.

I Kill Giants - This is a really good surreal drama that I wish I picked up ages ago.

Li'l Depressed Boy - Not bad. Will probably pick up volume two.

DMZ: On The Ground - Very interesting. I like the whole premise of a warzone story being told through a reporter rather than a soldier like it normally is.

Preacher: All Hell's A-Coming - Poor Arseface. I hope Jene gets stabbed in the dick. Also, the Tulip and Jesse reunion seemed really out of character for Ennis as a writer, so I can only dread what he has planned for the finale. A shame I'm nearly done with this series, I really loved it.

Gotham City Sirens: Division - Didn't realise that they accidentally skipped a volume with this series. Feels like I'm missing something, but it wasn't bad enough that I felt lost. An okay end to an okay series.

Gemini Storm - My first published work. Free Issue #3 to anyone who gets their local store to stock the title.

Huh, wow, no one has posted since my last one. Oh well.

Punisher MAX: Frank - Damn it, only one more volume to go. Bullseye is still my favourite of the series, but Frank was very well done. An exploration into what Castle was really like when he got home rather than what thirty years of hatred and nostalgia filter have made him think happened.

Preacher: Alamo - Okay, I know last time I said I was expecting a big downer, and there was, somewhat, but this was really well done. It wasn't a bad ending, the protagonists won and everything turned out okay.

DMZ: Body of a Journalist - This is very different to what I normally read, which is why I love Vertigo books. Enjoyed this too and will definitely pick up the rest of this series.

Wolverine: Enemy of the State - Have been avoiding this for years since Mark Millar, to me, is a weak writer, and JRJR's artwork has always bugged me. But this wasn't too bad. Not great, but an enjoyable read. And it might have been because of Klaus Janson on inks, but the artwork actually reminded me of Frank Miller's when he was on Daredevil. Might end up giving Kickass a look.

The Boys: Get Some - This series is supposed to be more offensive than Preacher, according to an interview with Ennis. Honestly, it kind of hinders the story. While Preacher had a lot of elements that made it clear Ennis loved what he was doing, hell it was basically a love letter to westerns and the US, particularly New York, The Boys has none of it. In his introduction to Enemy of the State, Ennis makes it clear he hates most Super Hero comics and that's what this series seems to be about. Just one bitter, hate-filled tirade against a genre that doesn't appeal to him. It's not bad enough to make me want to stop reading the series, but this is clearly Ennis' weakest work.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 4: Death of Spider-Man - Everything I hoped it would be. Peter goes down swinging. He wins. He makes his snarky comments while he does it. Sure his friends help him out but ultimately it is Peter Parker who saves the day. He took a bullet for Captain America for Christ's sake. This my friends is how you kill a hero off.

Makes me realise how long it is since I've bought any trades in non-digital form. Most recent thing I have was the Miss Fury collection I was given for Christmas (still haven't read it yet).
    Life's an elevator. It goes up and down.

Picked up 27 by Charles Soule and Renzo Podesta. I'm going in to this blind as I know nothing about the book. Looking forward to it.

Also picked up Flex Mentallo because of course I did! and The New Brighton Archeological Society.

Just ordered Eyes of the Cat by Alejandro Jodorowsky and Moebius. http://www.stuartngbooks.com/ is having a 20% off sale. So I was able to get it for close to cover price. Which is way cheaper than anywhere I've ever seen on the secondary market.