Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 101 of 594 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 5932

Thread: Rick Olney: Still does not pay freelancers or anyone else.

Re: Rick Olney: Still does not pay freelancers or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone View Post
    If it TRULY is being put on by a Veteran's group, and Rick isn't handling the money or the arrangements...then it's not really Rick's convention, right?

A convention put on by a veteran's group sounds like a worthy idea.
    True, but having Rick involved in any facet of a convention will not be a boon but a hindrance.
    1. He's inept at every facet of putting on a convention 2. His name will keep anyone legit from appearing as a guest, vendor or publisher.

Putting on a convention to help vets is a no-brainer. Letting Rick be involved is an albatross they don't need.

I'm slammed today; can't really spend any time on this. Can somebody do a little digging and see if we can find the organizers? They need to know that Rick's reputation will keep a lot of pros and fans away, even if he doesn't try to rip anyone off.

According to what I'm told, Rick does a lot of volunteering for veterans' groups in his area and "has raised a ton of money for them." (And Hitler painted roses. We all have our good points.) As genuine as his interest may be (giving a huge benefit of the doubt) his reputation in comics circles will damage the convention's prospects. And there is nobody to blame for that but Rick. It's not libel if it's true.

I think Rick has more to do with it than that. He asked someone else to help him name it, and help organise it, after all.

The mentioning charity but not being specific thing smacks of him, too.
    "There seems to be something in the human condition that makes people dislike people that they think are different. If we could get rid of that, it'd be a better world" - Stan Lee

On a positive aspect: assuming the convention is legit, and they do cut ties with Olney, how can we help them? Who is local and can jump in to take up some of the slack?

Quote Originally Posted by MacQuarrie View Post
    I'm slammed today; can't really spend any time on this. Can somebody do a little digging and see if we can find the organizers? They need to know that Rick's reputation will keep a lot of pros and fans away, even if he doesn't try to rip anyone off.

According to what I'm told, Rick does a lot of volunteering for veterans' groups in his area and "has raised a ton of money for them." (And Hitler painted roses. We all have our good points.) As genuine as his interest may be (giving a huge benefit of the doubt) his reputation in comics circles will damage the convention's prospects. And there is nobody to blame for that but Rick. It's not libel if it's true.
    Not to mention the fact that Rick might be using this to try to get back in good graces.

If he's only "helping" and not "running" he could still be using this event to try to clean up his name in comic book circles.
    A.K.A. Lailoni Prime Vesta (courtesy of Tom Stillwell)

My blog of random and often geeky things -- Compound Geekery!

Riding the rollercoaster at Six Flags over Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by KJ! View Post
    I think Rick has more to do with it than that. He asked someone else to help him name it, and help organise it, after all.

The mentioning charity but not being specific thing smacks of him, too.
    Not to mention some of that looks like he was hiring artists to create a logo as well.

And Rick hiring artists is just..... yeah....
    A.K.A. Lailoni Prime Vesta (courtesy of Tom Stillwell)

My blog of random and often geeky things -- Compound Geekery!

Riding the rollercoaster at Six Flags over Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by MacQuarrie View Post
    On a positive aspect: assuming the convention is legit, and they do cut ties with Olney, how can we help them? Who is local and can jump in to take up some of the slack?
    If the convention really IS being put on by others, in support of veterans, I can talk to Chuck Dixon about maybe sending some special stuff. Plus, I'm sure Chuck knows a number of NY area comics folks who could help support. (I don't think Chuck would make the trip up from FL himself, as he isn't really keen on travel.) He's a big booster of veterans and those in the military. BUT I imagine such support would be contingent upon Olney NOT being involved in the project.
    There is always a place for storytellers.

Since I get done work earlier than most folks, I called Old Forge NY (they have a website) and spoke with a very nice woman.

She didn't know anything about it but after putting me on hold she said nothing has been confirmed. She took my information and will get back to me with the information regarding the organization behind the con. I told her about Rick's reputation, but by the time we got to that part of the conversation she had already googled Adirondack ComicFest and replied 'Yeah, I can see that!'

I'll post it here as soon as I hear from her. I'm hopeful she'll be able to supply the name of the person(s) actually organizing the con.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 06-29-2011 at 04:28 AM.

I wonder how big a gasket he's going to blow this time?

He wanted attention for his birthday and now he's getting it in the worst possible way from multiple directions.
    Anyone do a Google image search for Rick? The results now are quite hilarious

If this is a legitimate convention run by other people, to benefit veterans, it is not their fault if Rick got involved.