BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roger Ebert - "I was a fool for mentioning video games in the first place."

Roger Ebert - "I was a fool for mentioning video games in the first place."

This is the follow up to his article where he claimed video games are not and never will be art.
    LINKY

He is a very classy fellow for basically conceding his point. I always enjoy his articles.

Re: Roger Ebert - "I was a fool for mentioning video games in the first place."

That's pretty cool of him to give a follow up on the issue. He at least admits he doesn't actually want to play video games to form an opinion.

Great overview of it all.

And it's funny, I still generally agree that video games haven't been art...at least so far.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hodag View Post

And it's funny, I still generally agree that video games haven't been art...at least so far.
    Hideo Kojima thinks the same thing and his games are ones that people use as an example of why video game ARE art.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Pal View Post
    Hideo Kojima thinks the same thing and his games are ones that people use as an example of why video game ARE art.
    That's interesting, never heard that before.

Of course, I've played enough MGS games to know he's clearly an insane person, but it's a good kind of insane.

"I was a fool..."

Yup. Just should have stopped there in general Rog.

And yeah Video Games are a form of art. duh.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hodag View Post

Why? They are written, they are designed and they provide an experience nothing else can.

Why can we look at a comic panel and say that's great art and not think the same way about a 2d sprite or a 3d model?

Quote Originally Posted by Hate_Prime View Post
    Why? They are written, they are designed and they provide an experience nothing else can.

Why can we look at a comic panel and say that's great art and not think the same way about a 2d sprite or a 3d model?
    This thread's inevitably going to rehash all the same arguments that've already been made, and I already went these rounds in another Benbo thread. So I don't want to really throw myself into this, but the short version for me is that while games have sometimes provided emotional experiences for me, I can't divorce those experiences from the game-y elements which ultimately mitigate them.

I love Shadow of the Colossus, but beyond its story it's a reflex-based running and jumping and stabbing game. I can't bring myself to call a story wrapped around that core, however interesting, art. I wouldn't call a football game art either.

I do think video games have artistry to them, of course - no one could deny that.

Good for him. Guy's a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Brubaker View Post
    DoctorSpaceman, you made me laugh out loud. So fuck you. Don't ruin my cool exterior, jerk.

Buh! Mealy-mouthed bullshit! Interspersing the article with stereotypically gruesome screenshots is completely snide. Where are the shots from Braid, Ico, Flower etc.? Did anyone refer him to the screenshots used as evidence of "art"? (Not that his point is even valid - are films suddenly not art due to bad horror films?)

Even in the text all he "concedes" is that he "might" be wrong, but "won't find out 'cause I ain't playing no games". Classy! Fuck off, granddad.