BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it ever seem to you that people don't consider a posters history when responding

Does it ever seem to you that people don't consider a posters history when responding

Very often when I am reading a thread I will see someone respond to a post from someone as if they have never seen that person on the board before and have no idea who they are. A quick example of this is in the fat kids military recruiting thread. DreadedAnomly made a joke about not lifting the Dont Ask Dont Tell. It was even completely lifted from a Jon Stewart bit, but for some reason a board member did not get it and it seemed to think he was serious. Honestly, if you have spent anytime reading any of his posts on the subject you know he was not serious. Now neither of these guys are new on the board, so I don't get how it happened.

I see this stuff happen a lot and it always surprises me. It is almost as if people for the most part respond to the post and not the poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLM View Post
    Is this where Jason becomes a dick about semantics?

Re: Does it ever seem to you that people don't consider a posters history when respon

I'm sure that happens, but there are a lot of people on this board. I could see some people not crossing "paths" often. I don't always read every post in a thread either. Sifting through 50+ pages of a thread is not something I always want to do or have time to do before posting, so I have probably missed a few people here and there.

Edit: I can't say that I recall reading a lot of Dreaded Anomaly's posts, but I did read the one in question and I thought the joke was pretty damn clear, but maybe that is just me.
    Last edited by Zac Goyette; 04-20-2010 at 01:16 PM.

"Brian Bendis is one of the most profane and potty-mouthed people I know. The saltiness of the language that comes out of his brain makes Scarface blush. I mean, you can't imagine the stuff he says. Stuff like "#$%^knuckle" or "Monkey #($*%&^%!" Oh and then there's "Your Mother's @#$%^% cystic #$%^%!" I mean who thinks of these things?"-Joe Quesada

Large Hadron Collider Dreaded Anomaly's Avatar

Re: Does it ever seem to you that people don't consider a posters history when respon

This reminds me of this thread a little while back in which someone suggested that everyone should have their political affiliations listed under their username.

I still say that adding a "Political Compass" line would be the best way do to that. I suppose we could just all put our coordinates under "Location," or something.

Edit: There, I'll start the trend!

Consiliere Lord Jermaine Retail's Avatar

I feel like I am seeing more quick discounting of people with low post counts lately. People like me with disturbingly high post counts all started off as some random new guy.

And conversely, I'm not exactly guy off the street. Not that it should afford me any kind of invincibility or anything, but still. I been around a while and what I'm about should be clear.
    carlgiannini: All I wanted to know is what trades have been released. Now I've committed to spend an extra hundred or two on comics. What happened here?
    The Lord Retail: I happened. Lord Retail happened to you. I'm sorry friend, but I simply can't turn it off..

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Anomaly View Post
    This reminds me of this thread a little while back in which someone suggested that everyone should have their political affiliations listed under their username.

I still say that adding a "Political Compass" line would be the best way do to that. I suppose we could just all put our coordinates under "Location," or something.

Just pay attention to who you are talking to and it should not be a problem.

Like getting pissed off at a WillieLee post. That seems like the sillies thing to do when 9 out of 10 times that is exactly what he wants.

I just think most people don't think they are talking to real people on the board so then never save personality characteristics about who they are responding to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Jermaine Retail View Post

And conversely, I'm not exactly guy off the street. Not that it should afford me any kind of invincibility or anything, but still. I been around a while and what I'm about should be clear.

exactly.

Large Hadron Collider Dreaded Anomaly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Jermaine Retail View Post
    I feel like I am seeing more quick discounting of people with low post counts lately. People like me with disturbingly high post counts all started off as some random new guy.

I know what you mean, but a fair amount of the new posters recently have just been trolls. It makes it seem like everyone with a low post count isn't a real user, which isn't nice but also doesn't seem to be that inaccurate.

You can't remember everyone's opinions on everything.

For the vast majority of the board I couldn't tell you anything about them other than what they just posted. There are a few who, through promoting whatever, have little bits of information stored, and of course the board personalities I've known since I started here. Beyond that, I couldn't say shit about 90% of you.

Just out of curiosity, what would be considered a low post count.

"Brian Bendis is one of the most profane and potty-mouthed people I know. The saltiness of the language that comes out of his brain makes Scarface blush. I mean, you can't imagine the stuff he says. Stuff like "#$%^knuckle" or "Monkey #($*%&^%!" Oh and then there's "Your Mother's @#$%^% cystic #$%^%!" I mean who thinks of these things?"-Joe Quesada