BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bands to Record Labels: NO to twittering

Bands to Record Labels: NO to twittering

NEW YORK--The music industry is in a major state of crisis and some up and coming acts are reluctant to dirty their hands with social networking.

Some new artists signing at both major and indie labels are telling execs there that they'll make music, but don't expect them to do Facebook or Twitter. The labels are saying back that the days when performers--even mega-superstar performers--can keep fans at arms length are over.

Cameo Carlson, an exec with Universal Music Group, said she was shocked about how many twentysomething musicians aren't interested in social networking.

(Credit: Universal Music Group) "I was shocked to find out how many twentysomethings aren't interested in social networking," said Cameo Carlson, a former iTunes executive who is now executive vice president at Universal Motown Republic Group.

Carlson, who has risen to become one of Universal Music Group's highest-ranking female digital executives since moving over from iTunes three years ago, participated in a panel discussion this week at the Digital Music East Forum in New York. This was the same conference where the NPD Group announced that the music industry has lost 24 million music buyers over the past two years. Of those, a million were buyers of digital downloads, NPD said.

Later, Carlson said she understood many musicians would prefer to focus exclusively on their music. But she noted that in the digital age, acts must connect with fans.

Daniel Glass, who three years ago founded indie label Glassnote, couldn't agree more. He was on the same panel with Carlson and he said that he chose not to sign a promising new group after they expressed apathy about social networking.

link

Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Re: Bands to Record Labels: NO to twittering

I'm shocked that it's the bands saying no to this. Honestly, I really am.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV View Post
    I'm shocked that it's the bands saying no to this. Honestly, I really am.
    I'm not. The companies have no reason to be against this. Hell, isn't the success of bands like Vampire Weekend almost entirely based on this kind of social networking? It just seems like a win-win situation from the label's perspective.

GODFATHER

Quote Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
    I'm not. The companies have no reason to be against this. Hell, isn't the success of bands like Vampire Weekend almost entirely based on this kind of social networking? It just seems like a win-win situation from the label's perspective.
    The labels are for it. The surprising part is that bands aren't interested in doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
    I know the labels have no reason to be against it, I'm saying I'm shocked that bands would turn down a way to self promote themselves and connect with fans.

It seems like turning down the digital equivalent of a street team. You make one tweet about "new tour schedule" and your followers retweet it for you.

I know the labels have no reason to be against it, I'm saying I'm shocked that bands would turn down a way to self promote themselves and connect with fans.

It seems like turning down the digital equivalent of a street team. You make one tweet about "new tour schedule" and your followers retweet it for you.
    The only real way to make money in music is touring, and a lot of artists have abstained from that over the years, too. Shockingly, some people do it for the art.
    --Dewey

I'm also a little baffled by any band's reluctance to do this. I mean, it's one thing to not want to drop an awkward "and don't forget to become a fan on facebook" in between songs - but to wholly dismiss facebook and twitter really seems like trying too hard not to sell out or whatever.
    Funnybook of the Week - I read 'em, I rank 'em. Based on nothing more than my personal enjoyment.

Twitter Feed - Just as inane as a blog, but shorter.

GODFATHER

Quote Originally Posted by SidekicksRevenge View Post
    but to wholly dismiss facebook and twitter really seems like trying too hard not to sell out or whatever.
    Which is odd, because really it almost seems like the exact opposite of selling out. Social media allows bands to interact directly with fans without the buffer of a record label.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKraken View Post
    The only real way to make money in music is touring, and a lot of artists have abstained from that over the years, too. Shockingly, some people do it for the art.
    If you're signed to a record label, you at least want to make a living doing it and have people enjoy your art.

There is nothing wrong with promoting your art and having a place where fans of yours can talk with you or each other, though.

And honestly what's the point of music if you aren't sharing it with people who love and appreciate it?

This is probably more mainstream bands saying that they don't want to do it, but a majority of indie bands do have twitter accounts and facebook accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by TIP View Post
    Ryan Zoouche Turner!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by (akaRyanHoffman) View Post
    In 2012 they'll rename the program "Zoom Time" and spend all fifty weeks talking about his amazing voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaughTibbittz View Post
    Smirnoff Ice is so fucking good. Even my mom likes it. So fuck you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_ZOOM_Turner View Post
    What if your whole life is a work..man?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian B AWESOME View Post
    You guys are just mad I'm so witty.