BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: Obama's aunt makes second appeal for political asylum

Obama's aunt makes second appeal for political asylum

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8498658.stm

President Barack Obama's Kenyan aunt has appeared at a court in Boston in a second attempt to gain political asylum in the US.

But the immigration hearing for 57-year-old Zeituni Onyango ended without an immediate decision on asylum.

The half-sister of Mr Obama's father, Ms Onyango moved to the US in 2000.

After her first asylum application was rejected in 2004, she was ordered to be deported, but continued living in public housing in Boston.

Her immigration status became an issue during Mr Obama's election campaign.

He said at the time that he had not known his aunt had been living in the US illegally.

Lawyers for Ms Onyango and the government will have 30 days to make their cases, according to the Associated Press, although it is not clear when any ruling will be decided.

'Tribal violence fears'

Ms Onyango arrived at the court on Thursday in a wheelchair, and left on foot using a walking stick.

Her lawyer, Margaret Wong, said Ms Onyango was applying for asylum for medical reasons and because of fears of "tribal violence" in Kenya, according to the AFP news agency.

The lawyer told AFP that President Obama had not submitted any written support for Ms Onyango's application.

She testified for about two-and-a-half hours during the hearing, which was closed to the public, at the US Immigration Court.

Two doctors also gave evidence in support of her claim to remain in the US.

The US president first met his father's side of the family when he travelled to Africa more than 20 years ago.

Describing the visit in his memoir, he talks of Ms Onyango, whom he calls Auntie Zeituni, as a proud woman.

Ms Onyango visited the family in Chicago on a tourist visa at Mr Obama's invitation about 10 years ago, stopping to visit friends on the east coast before returning to Kenya.

In 2004 she attended Mr Obama's swearing-in to the US Senate, but campaign officials say he did not help get her a tourist visa.

Re: Obama's aunt makes second appeal for political asylum

Does anyone know what her claims of tribal violence are based on?

And she has been living here illegally on the tax payers dollar. Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason California View Post
    Does anyone know what her claims of tribal violence are based on?

And she has been living here illegally on the tax payers dollar. Yay.
    Not specifically.

Being related to Obama is a justifiable reason to be scared though. A relative of a US President might make a tempting kidnapping target.

Quote Originally Posted by Thudpucker View Post
    Not specifically.

Being related to Obama is a justifiable reason to be scared though. A relative of a US President might make a tempting kidnapping target.
    I can see that argument being made

If that was an acceptable reason do you think it would be safe to assume that many more people in his family might try to do the same? I wonder how many known relatives he has in Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason California View Post
    I can see that argument being made

If that was an acceptable reason do you think it would be safe to assume that many more people in his family might try to do the same? I wonder how many known relatives he has in Africa?
    If they wanted to come here then why not? They're innocents, what can they do about it?

If they wanted to come here then why not? They're innocents, what can they do about it?

Getting preferential treatment and possibly bumping others ahead in line of them. Plus he aunt has been here illegally since before he was president. Odds are most of them would also be getting state assistance to live. I am curious to see how many innocents we may be taking in because of it. As far as I know his brother has not been kidnapped and ransomed yet.

Now I am not saying that because of this they should be denied, but I do think they are worth considering.

People move to the head of the line depending on circumstances. It's like an ER, the person in most need is seen to first.

We're taking in thousands of Haiti refugee's right now. People who 'jumped in line' and, no doubt, will end up living on public assistance. Is there something wrong with that?

That's not what's going on here btw, she doesn't seem to be getting any special treatment. Obama hasn't involved himself at all in the matter.

I was just saying that her fear of being harmed if deported may have merit, more so than most.

People move to the head of the line depending on circumstances. It's like an ER, the person in most need is seen to first.

We're taking in thousands of Haiti refugee's right now. People who 'jumped in line' and, no doubt, will end up living on public assistance. Is there something wrong with that?

I was under the impression that the Haitian refugee status was only for those that had been here before the earthquake.

Also, the threat of being related to Obama is a hypothetical. None of Obamas other relatives have been endangered yet.

Again, she may have a valid reason and I will have to look for more details on this, but nothing presented in this article is a clear cut reason to say yes. It sure does sound nice and big hearted. She was trying to game the system before Obama took office though.