BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Stand Up Comedy Thread

  1. #1
    Hard Boiled Rod Nunley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX.
    Posts
    10,512

    Stand Up Comedy Thread

    I am going to do it. I am going to preform at an open mic here in Austin. And it all starts here. I've been a stand up comedy nerd for longer than I can remember. I used to stay up late and record An Evening at the Improv at 2am when I was in high school so I could watch it over and over. Every night when I go to bed I listen to stand up comedy on my ipod. I devour stand up comedy and have always had the dream of doing it. Being a stand up.

    Well now is that time.

    I am spending the next few months working on material and going to open mics to see what it's like and then I will preform.

    I know a few on the board (Evan Valentino and Michal O'Connell) have done this before (or all the time) and wanted to create a thread for discussion on the topic.

    I'm starting from scratch here. I'm trying to learn how to take a random funny thought and work it into a real joke with set up and punchline.

    My biggest problem is being unsure of joke construction and knowing if what I come up with is actually funny.

    And the fact that for all the stuff on the internet about stand up comedy looks like either a scam of some sort or written by totally unprofessional people.
    Last edited by Rod Nunley; 02-02-2010 at 08:27 AM.

  2. #2
    Made Rosemary's Baby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: Stand Up Comedy Thread

    Not a stand-up comic, but there's a pretty good interview with Louis CK over at ain't it cool.

    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43834

  3. #3
    Hard Boiled Rod Nunley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX.
    Posts
    10,512

    Re: Stand Up Comedy Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary's Baby View Post
    Not a stand-up comic, but there's a pretty good interview with Louis CK over at ain't it cool.

    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43834
    Louis CK is in fact a very good stand up comic. Thanks for the heads up.

  4. #4
    Made Rosemary's Baby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: Stand Up Comedy Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rodnunley View Post
    Louis CK is in fact a very good stand up comic. Thanks for the heads up.
    Oh yeah, I was saying that I'm not one.

  5. #5
    GODFATHER thatguyfromsyracuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Handsomeville, USA Population: Me!
    Posts
    40,679

    Re: Stand Up Comedy Thread

    Even Valentino!
    x7

    Quote Originally Posted by BriRedfern View Post
    I like you. You are one of the few people here that I think of by their real name. Assuming your name is Matt. You have spells where you are really funny and then spells where you try to hard to be funny and all I can think is "wow. He is really trying hard to be funny and it is not working. Maybe tomorrow will be better for him."

  6. #6
    GODFATHER Evan the Shaggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    28,370

    Re: Stand Up Comedy Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguyfromsyracuse View Post
    Even Valentino!
    Evon Valencio!

  7. #7
    Hard Boiled Rod Nunley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX.
    Posts
    10,512

    Re: Stand Up Comedy Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguyfromsyracuse View Post
    Even Valentino!
    Whoops.

  8. #8
    GODFATHER thatguyfromsyracuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Handsomeville, USA Population: Me!
    Posts
    40,679

    Re: Stand Up Comedy Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rodnunley View Post
    Whoops.
    It was unintentionally hilarious!
    x7

    Quote Originally Posted by BriRedfern View Post
    I like you. You are one of the few people here that I think of by their real name. Assuming your name is Matt. You have spells where you are really funny and then spells where you try to hard to be funny and all I can think is "wow. He is really trying hard to be funny and it is not working. Maybe tomorrow will be better for him."

  9. #9
    GODFATHER Greenville 90210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New FUCKING Orleans!
    Posts
    22,052

    Re: Stand Up Comedy Thread

    Awesome. Good luck, man.

    I'm the other guy on the board that does stand-up regularly. Here's my advice: Have fun and don't get too drunk.

  10. #10
    Hard Boiled Rod Nunley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX.
    Posts
    10,512

    Re: Stand Up Comedy Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotland Green View Post
    Awesome. Good luck, man.

    I'm the other guy on the board that does stand-up regularly. Here's my advice: Have fun and don't get too drunk.
    Well I don't drink so that part is easy. For those who have done stand up ... can you talk about the first joke you ever wrote and kept. The first time you finished a joke and said ... "this is going on stage with me."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •