BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, the vet put one of these 'cone' things around my cat's head..

So, the vet put one of these 'cone' things around my cat's head..

...and he just won't let it go, man. He has been home for about 4 hours, and he has already ripped the thing in half (we did a quick staple job), untied the gauze holding it around his neck (we retied it w/a double knot), and he has quite literally not stopped trying to get this thing off.

He is smacking into everything in an attempt to get it off his head, not to mention the fact that he is uncoordinated and groggy due to his pain meds (which are now wearing off).

He keeps trying to clean his (now) non-existent balls, he has sutures all over his tail. He won't be getting the sutures out for 2 weeks....do I really need to keep this cone on his head the entire time?

He will surely go mad. And I feel like such a horrible owner when he flashes me that pathetic cone-head look.

Re: So, the vet put one of these 'cone' things around my cat's head..

On the positive side, you can use him as a basketball hoop-style thing for a way to pass the time

Seriously, why does it have one?

It sucks, but I would keep it on until the vet says it is ok to do so. The little fella may hate it now, but it is for his own good.

Plus, he will likely forget it after a few days of being off, so you won't need to fear for your ankles and check your shoes every morning.

Nova!

Johnny C:

Girl in a Coma:

MAK15

Supajoe

Quote Originally Posted by Shwicaz View Post
    ...and he just won't let it go, man. He has been home for about 4 hours, and he has already ripped the thing in half (we did a quick staple job), untied the gauze holding it around his neck (we retied it w/a double knot), and he has quite literally not stopped trying to get this thing off.

He is smacking into everything in an attempt to get it off his head, not to mention the fact that he is uncoordinated and groggy due to his pain meds (which are now wearing off).

He keeps trying to clean his (now) non-existent balls, he has sutures all over his tail. He won't be getting the sutures out for 2 weeks....do I really need to keep this cone on his head the entire time?

He will surely go mad. And I feel like such a horrible owner when he flashes me that pathetic cone-head look.
    There is always the unfortunate possibility that your cat could open up its stitches. My dog did this and it was not pretty. We eventually had to go back to the vet and get him stapled shut instead (which the dog took rather well, considering).

So, there. You're being a GOOD owner by having him wear the cone.

Quote Originally Posted by NickT View Post
    On the positive side, you can use him as a basketball hoop-style thing for a way to pass the time

Seriously, why does it have one?

see the bolded part above

Thanks, LordK--

I just feel so guilty watching him bang into shit and keep trying to rip it off. But yeah, there are lots of blood vessels in the tail, and the vet said if he rips out his sutures, there would be a 'blood spray'.

so yeah, i guess you are right

see the bolded part above
    I did read that part, I just didn't assume it was the reason. My bad.

Thanks, LordK--

I just feel so guilty watching him bang into shit and keep trying to rip it off. But yeah, there are lots of blood vessels in the tail, and the vet said if he rips out his sutures, there would be a 'blood spray'.

That is most certainly one thing that you would not want. Most cats are hyper-sensitive to having anything on their back or neck, which is most likely why he is freaking out.

In theory, he should calm down after a day or so once he gets more used to it.

Nova!

Johnny C:

Girl in a Coma:

MAK15

Supajoe

Quote Originally Posted by NickT View Post
    I did read that part, I just didn't assume it was the reason. My bad.
    what happened was, it was a stray. when it arrived at our house, it's tail was all crusty and scabbed over. When the vet washed it's tail, she said the skin came right off, exposing some bone, so it had to get the end of it's tale chopped off. She said there was nothing but puss under the scab, and that they pulled the sin over, and sewed it up. Kitty had a bunch of sutures in its tail, and if he pulls them out, blood city.

So, he now looks like he has a megaphone on his head.

Thanks, LordK--

We didn't get a spray, but there was definitely blood leakage.

My dog absolutely loves people. LOVES people...maybe the friendliest dog I've ever seen. He's a Newfoundland, and was probably 100 pounds when he was neutered. When we took him to the vet to get him stapled, they were very worried about how he'd react, because you don't fuck with a 100 pound dog, friendly or not. So they got everyone in the office to hold him down and lie on top of him at the same time when they put the staples in. The dog was just so happy to have so many people touching him at once, that he didn't even flinch when he was stapled.