BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wizard announces Anaheim Comic-Con

Wizard announces Anaheim Comic-Con

Thanks to Bendis for the Twitter mention. Here's the full url from CBR:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=22072

Official Press Release
    Gareb Shamus, CEO of New [COLOR=blue! important]York[/color] based Wizard Entertainment, announced today the launch of the first-ever Anaheim Comic-Con, to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center from April 16-18, 2010.
    Richard McWilliam, Upper Deck Chairman/CEO said, “Gareb and I have been friends for many years now, and I'm happy to see him once again back in Southern California. On behalf of myself and Upper Deck, we congratulate Gareb for bringing the fans here another great Comic-Con.”
    Upper Deck recently announced a licensing agreement with Marvel Entertainment to create products based on Marvel characters, including Trading Cards, TCGs and Miniatures Games.
    Anaheim will be the fifth Comic-Con city for shows produced by Gareb, joining Chicago, Philadelphia, New York and the recently-purchased Toronto event. Attendees can anticipate the strong caliber lineup of stars and exhibitors that fans across the nation have come to expect.
    “We had an outpouring of requests by fans and partners to return to Southern California, and felt that Anaheim was the best place to come back to,” said Shamus. “There is a real desire here for a comic based pop-culture experience, and I feel privileged to get back [COLOR=blue! important]in [/color][COLOR=blue! important]touch[/color] with our west coast fans in this way. This will truly be an event for families and people of all ages."
    Ahmet Zappa, Publisher of Disney's Kingdom Comics said, “All of us at Kingdom Comics are thrilled to be working with our friends from Wizard, as they get ready to add the Anaheim Comic-Con to their line-up of spectacular fan events. They have a reputation in the industry for putting on great shows in Chicago, Philadelphia, and New York, and the Anaheim Comic-Con will bring exciting entertainment to our own backyard."
    Kingdom Comics is developing entertaining new graphic novels, and re-imagining [COLOR=blue! important]motion [/color][COLOR=blue! important]pictures[/color] from the Disney live-action vaults, and plans to use the Anaheim convention to showcase new projects to the fan community.
    ANAHEIM COMIC-CON tickets are on sale now.
    About Us:
    Gareb Shamus founded Wizard Entertainment in 1991. Gareb publishes Wizard, ToyFare, FunFare and numerous books and magazines about today's top talent, [COLOR=blue! important]comic [/color][COLOR=blue! important]books[/color] and toys. In addition, he produces Chicago Comic-Con at the Rosemont Convention center, August 6-9; Big Apple Comic-Con at Pier 94, October 16 -18, Wizard World Philadelphia at the Philadelphia Convention Center June 11-13, 2010 and Toronto Comic Con , dates TBD.
    Guess I better raise the prices on the rental house that week.

lwk
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy
    I feel the need to visit your site...now! You have freaky brain powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateQuintessa
    That is by far the most bad ass post I've ever read on this board, in my much maligned time spent here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ellis
    Dude, you just won the internet!

Re: Wizard announces Anaheim Comic-Con

fuck wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DrMachine View Post
    fuck wizard
    Agreed

This is the same weekend as WWLA would have been scheduled for. The name change may be just a way of avoiding some sort of obligations to the LA Convention Center. They never should have moved their show there in the first place.
    Taxman

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    There is absolutely no way that The Avengers makes more than The Dark Knight Rises. None.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad N. View Post
    I think GotG will do quite higher than $200 million. In fact, I'm going to be bold and say it might be the one to hit $300 million.
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    is not going to outgross Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Certainly not with an August opening. You can count on that.

I hope the one in Long Beach is awesome, and this one blows.

Yeah, it'll be hard for me to put my support behind this show. Wizard does not treat their guests well.

Sure, I'll go.

This is the same weekend as the new Chicago Con!

I wonder if Wizard or Kingdom Comics will still be a going concern by next April.

This strikes me as an attempt to hurt the new C2E2 Chicago con. More than likely, Wizard will pull some of the Hollywood representation away from Chicago and probably some of the west coast comics talent as well. I can't imagine Marvel or DC will show up. They're probably already committed to C2E2 and seem to have a good working relationship with them from New York whereas their relationship with Wizard seems to have deteriorated over the years.

This is just another big old douche move from Shamus.

Regardless of who is putting on the show, does any con in California hold to San Diego?

"Brian Bendis is one of the most profane and potty-mouthed people I know. The saltiness of the language that comes out of his brain makes Scarface blush. I mean, you can't imagine the stuff he says. Stuff like "#$%^knuckle" or "Monkey #($*%&^%!" Oh and then there's "Your Mother's @#$%^% cystic #$%^%!" I mean who thinks of these things?"-Joe Quesada

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Goyette View Post
    Regardless of who is putting on the show, does any con in California hold to San Diego?
    It doesn't have to. SD is 3 hours away from LA and too big of a con for it's own good. It's not even really about comics anymore.

LA has been in need of a good con for ages (the past 3 WWLA shows I attended were pretty bad), and I predict Long Beach will be that show. I have to real interest in dealing with Wizard's over-inflated table prices or traveling to Anaheim.

Wizard is obviously trying to compete with these other shows. But from where I'm sitting, Heroes Con did just fine; and so will the Reed Chicago show.