BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FYE still buys used CDs

Bensalem - named after some dude named Ben

FYE still buys used CDs

I found this out last week and unloaded 48 CDs today for $109. I just don't see the point of holding onto disc-based digital music now that I have all that music on my Mac, backed up on an external hard drive, and readily available to listen to anywhere on my iPhone.

The CD is a dead format to me. I figured I might as well unload these dust collectors while they're still offering cash or store credit.

Re: FYE still buys used CDs

Technically, you're only supposed to keep those digital back-ups as long as you still own the CDs, the ownership of which is what grants you the right to have the back-ups. Now two people can own the same thing, even tho' the copyright owner only got paid once.

Yeah, but the RIAA's rules about this don't make sense anymore. iTunes files and Amazon MP3s are no longer rights restricted. You can copy them to iPods and share files among your own computers and playlists now, so what's the difference? I'm not sharing the files with others or making discs from the files and selling them.
    Last edited by Evan Wiener; 07-06-2009 at 03:00 AM.

GODFATHER

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Wiener View Post
    Yeah, but the RIAA's rules about this don't make sense anymore.
    The rule absolutely makes sense. Why should one person be able to buy an album and make copies for two people? I can think of no other product where it's justifiable for two people to retain ownership simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    The rule absolutely makes sense. Why should one person be able to buy an album and make copies for two people? I can think of no other product where it's justifiable for two people to retain ownership simultaneously.
    So if I download an Amazon MP3 oR iTunes album, I can't put that on my iPhone and my wife's iPod? Then why is Amazon selling files free of rights management and why are iTunes files now rights-free? Why did I pay .30 a track for iTunes Plus upgrades for the music I already paid for?!

What you're saying doesn't make sense when applied to rights management of digital files.

Will I share them with devices I don't own? No, I'm not that kind of person. But for equipment my family purchased? Yes.

Now, those rules don't apply to the CD format, which is why I think the CD as a format is dead to me. It's more legally restrictive, if you can't put that music on an iPod. And yet, a CD is often more expensive than a rights-free digital file? Not to mention the fact that many of these CDs were bought in the day when the record industry over-priced them.

Honestly, the RIAA has killed the industry with archaic rules. They're lucky I'm not one of the millions who use file sharing services to get music, I legally download all digital music because they finally found a price point and convenience system (iPhone purchases) that encourages me to buy more. I can't count the number of times i've heard a new song on Pandora or a stand-up comic on a local radio show and bought the album as an impulse buy on my phone.

GODFATHER

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Wiener View Post
    So if I download an Amazon MP3 oR iTunes album, I can't put that on my iPhone and my wife's iPod? Then why is Amazon selling files free of rights management and why are iTunes files now rights-free? Why did I pay .30 a track for iTunes Plus upgrades for the music I already paid for?!
    So you can put them on your iPhone and your iPod shuffle and burn them onto a CD to listen in your car CD. Theoretically, it's so that you can have copies of that song on as any device that you own. It's not intended to be a way for two people to be in possession of the same property simultaneously.

So if I sell all of my CDs I also, legally, have to delete all of my digital files of those songs?

Hmmph.
    Communications at Shadowline Comics // Read GREAT webcomics at ShadowlineOnline.com

Editor & Assistant Art Director at GrayHaven Comics // Submission Guidelines are here.

My Blog - THE SUBURBAN GEEK

GODFATHER

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline Pimp View Post
    So if I sell all of my CDs I also, legally, have to delete all of my digital files of those songs?

Hmmph.
    Yes. And I've yet to hear a compelling argument as to why you wouldn't. Would you like to try?

No. I was just curious as to how that works.

I do think that the simplest solution would be for the person who buys the CD "new" to be the only person legally allowed to own the rights to the digital version of the music. If that CD is then sold to a chain/used CD store, the person who then buys the "used" CD should not be allowed to make a digital copy. But I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons why that shouldn't be the case either.
    Communications at Shadowline Comics // Read GREAT webcomics at ShadowlineOnline.com

Editor & Assistant Art Director at GrayHaven Comics // Submission Guidelines are here.

My Blog - THE SUBURBAN GEEK

Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    So you can put them on your iPhone and your iPod shuffle and burn them onto a CD to listen in your car CD. Theoretically, it's so that you can have copies of that song on as any device that you own. It's not intended to be a way for two people to be in possession of the same property simultaneously.
    Ok but there's logic faults all over with that.

What if my wife and I carpool and we're listening to my iPhone, then she drops me off. If she continues to listen to the same song in the car on her iPod, or on a CD in the car, that's illegal?

These rules are unenforceable. If the RIAA had any sense, they would force iTunes would be unable to pull MP3 files from any CD. But then Kazaa would be used more than it is. Make buying and owning the content more convenient and higher quality than the black market version. I haven't illegally downloaded files since Napster went subscription-based, and I haven't bought more than 2 CDs since i bought an iPod.