BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Krull

Consiliere Lord Jermaine Retail's Avatar

Krull

I love 80s sci fi as much as the next guy. I grew up on stuff like Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Wore those vhs tapes out. I was Neverending Story on my birthday when it was new. But I have to tell you right now that the movie Krull is the absolute worst. I think I might hate it.

On paper, this movie should work, right? They clearly spent money on this thing. The production value is there. The concept is kind of sound and unique. You have a typical fantasy world, but the place is invaded by alien space monsters. And that's different. But total package? Not good. And before you say what about the Cyclops, well what about him? Cool but he gets squished. I recall that being pretty disturbing back in the day. I liked the enemy's creepy soldier things, they made that crazy sound when you killed them.

The reason I make this thread is that Krull seems to have made its way back into the collective unconsciousness. Bendis was making fun of Hickman by saying that he prefered Krull to Empire Strikes Back. Thursday, I had a guy try to sell me some comics and there was a Krull magazine adaptation in it. And on the way into work there was a hip hop song on the college radio station where the guy said "something-something like the weapon from Krull." I mean come on. What is this?
    carlgiannini: All I wanted to know is what trades have been released. Now I've committed to spend an extra hundred or two on comics. What happened here?
    The Lord Retail: I happened. Lord Retail happened to you. I'm sorry friend, but I simply can't turn it off..

Re: Krull

"Babylon 5's a big pile of shit"

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Foolish Mortal's Avatar

For the trivia buffs, the weapon was called the Glaive. Which is just an archaic word for a 'bladed weapon'.

Sites that may or may not interest you..

I've told you this already, but I actually enjoyed Krull. Need to give it a re-watch to see if it holds up (it's on the instant queue on Netflix), but it was just a fun fantasy action movie.
    -Ryan S.

Quote Originally Posted by MabusRex View Post
    I've told you this already, but I actually enjoyed Krull. Need to give it a re-watch to see if it holds up (it's on the instant queue on Netflix), but it was just a fun fantasy action movie.
    I knew there was something about you and now I know what it is.
    carlgiannini: All I wanted to know is what trades have been released. Now I've committed to spend an extra hundred or two on comics. What happened here?
    The Lord Retail: I happened. Lord Retail happened to you. I'm sorry friend, but I simply can't turn it off..

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Mortal View Post
    For the trivia buffs, the weapon was called the Glaive. Which is just an archaic word for a 'bladed weapon'.

GLAIVEN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Jermaine Retail View Post
    I love 80s sci fi as much as the next guy. I grew up on stuff like Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Wore those vhs tapes out. I was Neverending Story on my birthday when it was new. But I have to tell you right now that the movie Krull is the absolute worst. I think I might hate it.

On paper, this movie should work, right? They clearly spent money on this thing. The production value is there. The concept is kind of sound and unique. You have a typical fantasy world, but the place is invaded by alien space monsters. And that's different. But total package? Not good. And before you say what about the Cyclops, well what about him? Cool but he gets squished. I recall that being pretty disturbing back in the day. I liked the enemy's creepy soldier things, they made that crazy sound when you killed them.

The reason I make this thread is that Krull seems to have made its way back into the collective unconsciousness. Bendis was making fun of Hickman by saying that he prefered Krull to Empire Strikes Back. Thursday, I had a guy try to sell me some comics and there was a Krull magazine adaptation in it. And on the way into work there was a hip hop song on the college radio station where the guy said "something-something like the weapon from Krull." I mean come on. What is this?

The Krull reference in the Hip-hop song is more than likely from MF Doom, I forgot which song it was, but he referenced that in one of his songs. Not sure if was the ones he did as Doom or the ones he did as "Viktor Vaughan"

Aw, c'mon Jermaine. What's wrong with Krull? I seem to recall the movie not being all that bad. It's not really as bad as you make it out to be. It has been coming up in conversation a lot recently with many people. If we were gonna talk terrible though, we'd be talking along these lines here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJgAeGUD2FU
    http://www.majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/TheMiceTemplar01_2ndPrint/picon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    I like you Pick. Your cool beans.

Krull
    Yor
    Beastmaster

and so on
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy-Klone View Post
    First draft of TIP's eulogy:
    "And so we commit this hairy man to the ground. Like his beloved Cerebus, TIP passed from this mortal coil two issues sooner than we'd have preferred. We were never promised those final two issues. Life, like Sim, can be utterly indecipherable."

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Foolish Mortal's Avatar

Visually and conceptually, it's an interesting film, but I agree that the execution is lackluster.
    Sites that may or may not interest you..