BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batman pre and post crisis continuity question

Batman pre and post crisis continuity question

I had a customer tell me that in either the pre or post crisis DC that Joe Chill, the thug that killed Batmans parents ended up turning into the Joker... I have NO recollection of that...

In the continuity that I thought was current, Chill killed his parents... and in Year Two and the follow up, was murdered by the Reaper.

Any idea which one is current? Or if the guy was just nuts and thinking about the sucky ass first movie with the first bit about the Joker?

Anyone?
    Jeffery

Quote Originally Posted by Your pal, Jim
    ... (Jeffery) is insane. It was like being in the presence of The Joker, without all the murdering!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickT
    Have you COMPLETELY given up pretending to be straight?

Consiliere Lord Jermaine Retail's Avatar

Re: Batman pre and post crisis continuity question

Quote Originally Posted by justjeffery
    I had a customer tell me that in either the pre or post crisis DC that Joe Chill, the thug that killed Batmans parents ended up turning into the Joker... I have NO recollection of that...

In the continuity that I thought was current, Chill killed his parents... and in Year Two and the follow up, was murdered by the Reaper.

Any idea which one is current? Or if the guy was just nuts and thinking about the sucky ass first movie with the first bit about the Joker?

Anyone?
    This is all very abridged.
    Joe Chill was a crook in the golden age story, but was not in the debut Batman story. There was a story where Batman found him and revealed himself to Chill as being the boy whose parents he killed. Batman haunted Chill personally to the point where he went to other thugs and explained that he's created Batman and was under heavy attack. The shocked thugs shot and killed Chill for creating Batman before he could tell them who Batman was. So Batman's secret was safe and the guy who killed his parents was finished.

In the modern age (post-crisis), the story of Joe Chill is found in Batman Year Two. Batman is forced to work with some crooks to catch worse crooks and finds out the guy he's working with, Joe Chill, is the man who killed his parents. You find out there that Bruce Wayne somehow has the gun that killed his parents. Shortly after realizing who and why Batman is, Chill is killed by another villain of the story so Batman is prevented from crossing that line himself.

Later during the Zero Hour story, Batman is back in time. Not far enough to save his parents, but slightly after so he goes straight to Chill's home to fond him. Chill's wife or girlfriend basically says that Chill has been stoned or drunk all weekend and never left the house. I think editorial wanted to return some ambiguity to exactly who shot Bruce's parents. The thinking was if he did finally deal with that one guy, maybe he'd not fight crime quite as hard as he would knowing the faceless killer is still out there somewhere. But it was a Zero Hour story so its debatable for the reader and Batman as to how certain it is.

Due to the first Batman movie, people still believe that Joker or Jack Napier killed Batman's parents. Its not like the information isn't out there if someone wanted to research Batman. People in the theater were like "its Joker" when Chill robbed the Waynes. And some guy in my shop was like "I dunno about this new Batman. They're changing it up so my man Napier didn't kill Batman's parents." *Sigh* I love the general public at large.

I was asked recently if Batman Year Two was still actively in continuity and while I don't think its ever referenced anymore, there's nothing in there that really couldn't have happened in the storyline. I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Retail
    I was asked recently if Batman Year Two was still actively in continuity and while I don't think its ever referenced anymore, there's nothing in there that really couldn't have happened in the storyline. I guess.
    I think it isn't anymore, there was a Didio interview about this some weeks ago on newsarama.

Found it :

Asked about the official DC stance on the killer of Batman’s parents, whether it was Joe Chill or, as it has become in later years, an unknown killer, Beatty and Didio took two approaches. Beatty took the stance that the killer of Bruce Wayne’s parents should remain the nameless, faceless criminal that Batman hunts every night. If Batman knew the identity of his parent’s killer, he would eventually bring the killer to justice, and then, lose his reason for being Batman.

Conversely, Didio said that in his opinion, Batman is the world’s greatest detective, so there would be no way for his parent’s killer to remain “nameless and faceless” if he wanted to find him. Obviously, it’s something that won’t be dealt with in a definitive story soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The beggar
    Found it :
    Its an editorial thing and that changes with time. I'm saying that I don't recall anything in the content of the story that can not have happened thanks to some current storyline. With comics its so hard to tell what's part of the sotry and what's not.

Its an editorial thing and that changes with time. I'm saying that I don't recall anything in the content of the story that can not have happened thanks to some current storyline. With comics its so hard to tell what's part of the sotry and what's not.
    true, maybe some changes will come in All Star batman

true, maybe some changes will come in All Star batman
    Now All Star is supposed to be a side deal right? Its own storyline not bound by anything on the shelves or previously out as far as I understood it. Not in the way that Superman Batman was advertised to be, but like Ultimate Marvels are. Is that right?

Now All Star is supposed to be a side deal right? Its own storyline not bound by anything on the shelves or previously out as far as I understood it. Not in the way that Superman Batman was advertised to be, but like Ultimate Marvels are. Is that right?
    they said it wasn't bound to previous continuity, a standalone story, but it isn't an Elseworld story, so the possibility exists that Miller is going to use some elements from Year One.

they said it wasn't bound to previous continuity, a standalone story, but it isn't an Elseworld story, so the possibility exists that Miller is going to use some elements from Year One.
    Soooooooo, its a completely new thing. Not bound to previous continuity + not and elseworlds= a new status quo aside from the regular Bat titles. Including LOTDK. I wish they'd just be clear sometimes. Especially to those of us who have to sell the stuff.