63 23.08%

22 8.06%

5 1.83%
  • Zero Stars

0 0%
  • Not going to watch

9 3.30%
Page 1 of 96 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bendis saw watchmen!! THE OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD FOR EVERYONE!!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!

Bendis saw watchmen!! THE OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD FOR EVERYONE!!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!

its not the disaster the trades are making it out to be, but it is a fascinating failure.

it has some truly great parts to it. all the rorshach and niteowl stuff, moloch... it's all great.

but when it slavishly holds to the book it falls flat on it's ass. humorless, flat, passionateless. when it decides to be a movie, it sings.

but it is the victim of some truly bad choices made in pre production. as seen on the movie posters and trailers, dr. manhattan does not work. it looks like a rejected character from soul caliber circa ps2. it's a distractingly bad effect that hurts what looks like a pretty great turn by billy crudup.

same with some of the costumes, or at least how they were lit. every ten minutes or so it veers into sci fi channel original programming bad. only to be saved a few minutes later by some visual kick assery.

i was not bored. not even for a second. but as we walked out of the movie the words: too long, too long, too long echoes through the theatre. i didn't care. it only points out that the movie shouldn't have been a movie, maybe a longer mini series.

maybe the director should have gone with his first instinct and not even bothered.

like chinatown 2 and godfather 3, this movie was inevitable. none of those movies are bad btw, just judged by thier weakest parts.

alan moore's name is not to be found, and that is truth in advertising.

at least we'll get an end ot the alan moore: i don't read comics or go see movies because i know they all suck interviews. they make me feel bad for him.

i will now take these lessons and apply them to the powers pilot.

i'm not dc bashing, loved dark knight.

and i really hope you guys go and see it. it's very much worth your time and money. its a hell of a conversation piece.

Re: Bendis saw watchmen...

Thanks for the review, it's appreciated.

I disagree. Not perfect, but damn fine film. I don't think they could have done any better.
    Follow me @Marcdachamp on Twitter

nice

What did Flonk think?

honestly, (just got back from the screening here) i thought it was probably the best adaptation movie wise that we could hope for. i think it'll be confusing to people that haven't read the book, but for the most part i enjoyed it.

the changes made were ones that i thought served the story well. i don't think it'll be a blockbuster, and it's certainly not the "watchmen of superhero movies". i also think the good outweighs the bad with it.

Quote Originally Posted by c. page View Post
    honestly, (just got back from the screening here) i thought it was probably the best adaptation movie wise that we could hope for. i think it'll be confusing to people that haven't read the book, but for the most part i enjoyed it.

the changes made were ones that i thought served the story well. i don't think it'll be a blockbuster, and it's certainly not the "watchmen of superhero movies". i also think the good outweighs the bad with it.
    Agreed! I really loved it.
    Follow me @Marcdachamp on Twitter

strange. i read in the AICN talkbacks you saw it a while ago, twittered about it, and caused a bit of a stir there.

I think I'm looking forward to the all-encompassing super-director's cut that's coming out next Fall more than I'm looking forward to seeing this movie on Friday. And I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by James Patrick View Post
    strange. i read in the AICN talkbacks you saw it a while ago, twittered about it, and caused a bit of a stir there.
    ?? i have no idea what you're talking about.

and don't go to that site, they are studio bought and paid for. it serves the same purpose as E!.