Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, Al

Re: Hey, Al

Quote Originally Posted by CrampedNuggets View Post
    dude sideshow rocks! bowen rocks! clay moore rocks! its all good!!!

who cares who likes what and who doesnt!

oh no gotta go my supervisor is coming! peaceeeeeee
    We all have our own tastes & that's why it's good to discuss what we do & don't like. Of course, all these companies are good or they wouldn't still be around.

Going out for a bit. Maybe I'll check back later. If not, good night all.

Rube

hey al i m pretty new over here but i do appreciate the things you say . it takes a lot of courage to apologize as you did and everyone should do so sometimes.

Start a Photography thread here, Al.

Heck I could use some pointers
    "Success should never be vilified. It should be celebrated."

Quote Originally Posted by HoldyourfireAl View Post
    There was a SS piece that I was looking forward to...their classic Iron Man, but once again, I was disappointed with the art direction. First off, Tony Stark never had a goatee during the era of that armor & the American flag pole thing just made no sense. Stark was actually at odds with the US government during that era. For one, he stopped producing munitions. That really pissed them off. Nick Fury was sent in to do a hostile take over of Stark by buying out all their shares. I don't think Tony was feeling very patriotic back then.

As far as the Abomination...it looks like a great sculpt & paint job, but it's just not the Abomination I've ever seen. It seems that the Frank Tieri scripted (awful) mini-series was the inspiration.

I just don't get it. They have years of comics to look through & they seem to only pic recent material to sort of be inspired by. Of course, some folks like that & that's why SS is such a success. I don't like what's been produced so far. I think the recent Thing & now this Abomination appear too "cartoony."

That being said, if they ever produce something that I like, I'll be proud to buy it, take pics of it, and praise it.

PS: The large Hulk was DEFINITELY inspired by Kirby. Bravo! I just don't like it's look. I feel the same way about the 1st Bowen Hulk. I just don't like the look.

Very well said Al.

These are exactly the same reasons why I won't be buying either of them as well.

I was anticipating the IM for awhile, but when the pics showed up, I was like WTF??? Abom, no matter how cool this design is...it just doesn't fit any comic or period I've ever seen (kinda looks like some movie's demon).

I do however keep my eyes peeled on any company that has a Marvel license...I'm always looking at everyones products to better further my growing collection.

Quote Originally Posted by lanjune View Post
    hey al i m pretty new over here but i do appreciate the things you say . it takes a lot of courage to apologize as you did and everyone should do so sometimes.
    Thank you. My apology was necessary. I was an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrace View Post
    Start a Photography thread here, Al.

Heck I could use some pointers
    Yeah, we'll have to do something over here...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Very well said Al.

These are exactly the same reasons why I won't be buying either of them as well.

I was anticipating the IM for awhile, but when the pics showed up, I was like WTF??? Abom, no matter how cool this design is...it just doesn't fit any comic or period I've ever seen (kinda looks like some movie's demon).

I do however keep my eyes peeled on any company that has a Marvel license...I'm always looking at everyones products to better further my growing collection.

As far as I'm concerned, any company has the chance to dazzle me with their stuff, but so few pull it off.

Al how can you say that SS's Abomination & Thing are "cartoony"? If anything they're trying to go for realistic interpretations of the characters. It's obvious they're creating Abomination to go with Hulk, which is an awesome piece by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
    Al how can you say that SS's Abomination & Thing are "cartoony"? If anything they're trying to go for realistic interpretations of the characters. It's obvious they're creating Abomination to go with Hulk, which is an awesome piece by the way.
    I have no problem with SS pieces except for the Quality Control. That and they seem to be changing some of their pieces (like Aragorn) and not letting the customers know.

Sideshow doesn't really sculpt to classic characters and thats fine. However, everyone can have an opinion even Al.

I remember on SF when I said I didn't like the purple Jean shorts on the SS hulk. I actually got hate and insulting PM's (not to mention some nasty regular posts).

So, while some think AL goes to far, he's not the only one and mild in comparison to some of what I experienced.

Now, if SS would keep to the QC and not change like with the Indiana Jones, I would buy more because the Indiana Jones is awesome.
    "Success should never be vilified. It should be celebrated."

Quote Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
    Hey Pat - How are you? Yeah, I DEFINITELY find SS's Thing & Abomination "cartoony." Is that a put down? Nah! It's just an opinion. Does that mean they are bad? Nope! They just aren't being done in a style I appreciate. Abomination, along with the Green Goblin, is my all-time favorite villain. I was a little kid when I first encountered the Abomination in "Bring on the Bad Guys", which featured his first two appearances in Tales to Astonish. I have followed him ever since. To me, SS's version looks about as close to the classic Abomination as the movie version. If anything, it looks inspired by a very bad Frank Tieri adaption of a Hulk video game. "My" Abomination is green (with maybe a tinge of blue). I don't go for brown Abominations.

Anyway, I look at Randy's Abomination & I'm in awe. It's a conglomeration of every major artist that drew the Abomination during the Silver and Bronze Ages, as well as the 80s. I see mostly John Romita Sr. in it as well as touches of Gil Kane, Herb Trimpe, and Sal Buscema. To me an Abomination not inspired by these guys is just an overgrown brown gremlin.

Again, that's not a slam against the sculptor, Tony Ciprano, who's 1st appearance Hulk is one of my most beloved statues. It's an art director decision & it's decisions like that, that have kept me from pursuing a Sideshow piece.

Again, my eyes are open & if SS ever produces a Marvel product that is faithful to their Silver/Bronze Age versions, I'll jump in line to get that item! I just don't think SS is interested in producing those types of pieces. They like to reinterpret characters. Apparently, a lot of folks like that, as SS has been very successful, but that's not what I want.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrace View Post
    I have no problem with SS pieces except for the Quality Control. That and they seem to be changing some of their pieces (like Aragorn) and not letting the customers know.

Sideshow doesn't really sculpt to classic characters and thats fine. However, everyone can have an opinion even Al.

I remember on SF when I said I didn't like the purple Jean shorts on the SS hulk. I actually got hate and insulting PM's (not to mention some nasty regular posts).

So, while some think AL goes to far, he's not the only one and mild in comparison to some of what I experienced.

Now, if SS would keep to the QC and not change like with the Indiana Jones, I would buy more because the Indiana Jones is awesome.
    Ha, ha! The SS Hulk is one that I will always remember! That's what kind of caused my very public Bowen stance. When I said that it didn't like the SS one at all as I think it's ugly, just like BD's original Hulk, I was bashed relentlessly! When I stated that Randy's Smackdown Hulk was my favorite version ever produced, I felt that I had been jumped by an lynch mob!

I sort of got the impression then that a lot of folks were very pro-SS & had some kind of beef with BD & if you didn't think that SS was better, you were considered a cast out, a pariah.

Personally, I don't get why you can't like what you want? So what if I'm a Bowen cheerleader? The defending of SS's "honor" by some folks seems way more protective than I've ever been towards BD.

They're just comic statues!

Weird....