BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question For Anyone Who's Worked With A Temp Agency

Question For Anyone Who's Worked With A Temp Agency

I interviewed with a temp agency last Monday, they accepted me, and told me to call back this Monday, which I did. Now my name is on a list of people available to work.

So... how long does this sort of thing normally take before you go from list person to working person? Can I expect work within the week? The month? Should I still be looking for something else until I get something solid from the temp agency? Should I be asking them these questions the next time I talk to them?
    Read 4+ Issues of Eternal Knights™ FREE! | Follow: @tibbittz | Blog! | "Like" it on Facebook | Patreon Rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of the Ban Age View Post
    I... asked... to do... an extremely broad... dick. The length... will get longer and longer.

Re: Question For Anyone Who's Worked With A Temp Agency

Quote Originally Posted by NaughTibbittz View Post
    I interviewed with a temp agency last Monday, they accepted me, and told me to call back this Monday, which I did. Now my name is on a list of people available to work.

So... how long does this sort of thing normally take before you go from list person to working person? Can I expect work within the week? The month? Should I still be looking for something else until I get something solid from the temp agency? Should I be asking them these questions the next time I talk to them?
    You should ask them those questions, but here's my experience. When I worked with one I got jobs at random - I'd spend a few days without anything and then get told at the last minute to report to such and such business for a day. I had a few jobs that lasted a day, a couple that lasted about 3 days, and one that lasted about 2 months. After that I got one that lasted about 2 months and then that company hired me permanently.

Yes, look for a permanent job. It can't hurt, and its probably a bad idea to just kick back and hope the agency does the work for you. Also, it might not be a bad idea to apply to other agencies, too - you might get work from one one day and another the next.

Gunsel

It depends on the place. Around this time of year you will probably get a call fairly shortly.

I'm doing the same thing right now, but the place I'm going through has a listing of jobs that is emailed to everyone with the pay scale and the type of position being offered. It also lists them according to what the employer is looking for. Some of the positions are for defined periods of time but others are temp to hire where they are looking to hire someone if it works out. My wife a few years ago started out with a temp agency and was given a position at the college for a defined period but she made a couple connections there and when a position opened up it was hers. So even a defined position can lead to something positive.

All of that being said, don't sit back either. Its best to have a fallback if the temp agency doesn't work out, so hit the road and put your name in a few places. It can't hurt. You'd rather be turning jobs down than not having one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Briomega View Post
    So, Mark was right.

Depends on the place. Just keep in pretty frequent contact with them and you should have something shortly--especially around this time of year, as Ed pointed out above.

I always made a point of stopping by the office for some reason or another--to drop off something or to say thanks to someone or whatever. That way you're always on their minds.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAK15 View Post
    Len, I gotta be honest here:
    I don't think a Juggolo MODOK has the same house that the other patriots have...
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    congratsa on becoming the most annoying person on the board. no small feat!
    Quote Originally Posted by bradical View Post
    you're a freak, snark.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravis! View Post
    What the fuck is wrong with Len Snark right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    You jerk!
    Quote Originally Posted by capntightpants View Post
    You're evil, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum V.I. View Post
    You just made the list Len Snark: Penis Destroyer!
    Quote Originally Posted by nihilance View Post
    You're awful pious for someone with the last name Snark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Catclops! View Post
    Dammit LEN!
    I hate you, Len.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sasha View Post
    *judges Len*

Quote Originally Posted by Len Snark View Post
    I always made a point of stopping by the office for some reason or another--to drop off something or to say thanks to someone or whatever. That way you're always on their minds.
    Also - sexual favors.

I'd call them every morning you want to work and let them know you are available. You may be towards the bottom of a list somewhere. So being proactive and calling may just put you in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ArttyG12 View Post
    Also - sexual favors.
    I have to say that never occurred to me. Yeah, do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAK15 View Post
    Len, I gotta be honest here:
    I don't think a Juggolo MODOK has the same house that the other patriots have...
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    congratsa on becoming the most annoying person on the board. no small feat!
    Quote Originally Posted by bradical View Post
    you're a freak, snark.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravis! View Post
    What the fuck is wrong with Len Snark right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    You jerk!
    Quote Originally Posted by capntightpants View Post
    You're evil, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum V.I. View Post
    You just made the list Len Snark: Penis Destroyer!
    Quote Originally Posted by nihilance View Post
    You're awful pious for someone with the last name Snark.
    Dammit LEN!
    I hate you, Len.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sasha View Post
    *judges Len*

No. You should not expect work right away, especially given the economy right now.

As already said, you should call and check in at least once a day, and stop by as often as possible. Get on their good side, show them you want to work. When they get you something, say thank you.

And yes, most jobs will only last a day or two, though if you do well you will start to get the longer gigs. When I first moved to New York, I did temping. The first month they really string you along (I think in that month I worked like 5 days), but once a couple of the jobs said good things about me, my recruiter started treating me great and I worked pretty much every day for the next two months.

I feel like it is an ugly, tough time for temps. Good luck!