BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

  1. #1
    GODFATHER Donal DeLay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida. Still.
    Posts
    20,851

    anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

    I found one place in Cali, but I'd like to know multiple sites in case this one stops selling it. You never know.

    And no, I don't want to do it on computer. I'll do it dot by dot with a micron pen if I have to, cause I want it ON the page.

    EDIT: Not that it's very possible since zip is barely mad anymore as it is, but I'm also looking for WHITE tones.
    Last edited by Donal DeLay; 09-27-2008 at 09:53 PM.
    Everyone's got one. Here's my Webcomic

  2. #2
    Charlie Browniest
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    17,263

    Re: anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

    Zipatone is for hacks.

    Spoiler:
    But you might try just printing out some dots and then cut and paste them onto the page.

  3. #3
    GODFATHER Donal DeLay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida. Still.
    Posts
    20,851

    Re: anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

    Quote Originally Posted by shoelaceless View Post
    Zipatone is for hacks.

    Spoiler:
    But you might try just printing out some dots and then cut and paste them onto the page.
    I'v thought about that, but the white tone might be a problem to accomplish that way.
    Everyone's got one. Here's my Webcomic

  4. #4
    Charlie Browniest
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    17,263

    Re: anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donal DeLay View Post
    I don't think it would work the same and would end up being more of a pain in the ass then I'd want it to be compared to doing it dot by dot with a pen.

    (cause i've tried. )
    Ah, gotcha. (I always wondered if that would work).

  5. #5
    GODFATHER Donal DeLay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida. Still.
    Posts
    20,851

    Re: anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

    Yeah, it does, but kinda badly for my tastes.

    you get a kinda compu-dot, if you know what I mean. Pixel-like if it's too big, or glumpy if it's too small if you have to adjust it to the size you want in your computer first. Plus, there's the annoying bit of trying to draw onto the cut/pasted part and having your pens bleed into the paper. Then the everlooming shadow edge when it's copied.
    Everyone's got one. Here's my Webcomic

  6. #6

    Re: anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

    i understand your interest in creating everything on the page, but i just don't think it's feasible. i mean, you could find them on some random japanese art store website, but doesn't that seem like such a hassle? we've gotten to the point where there are certain things you can only do on computers including, oddly enough, things so old that they've become so outdated that you can only do them on computers. i think that you should consider using computer tools if it is a look you want for your book. comics are about the finished, printed (or online) product, not the original art used to make that product. i understand where you're coming from, but i think you're holding yourself back unnecessarily if these are really things you want to do.

  7. #7
    GODFATHER Donal DeLay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida. Still.
    Posts
    20,851

    Re: anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rose View Post
    i understand your interest in creating everything on the page, but i just don't think it's feasible. i mean, you could find them on some random japanese art store website, but doesn't that seem like such a hassle? we've gotten to the point where there are certain things you can only do on computers including, oddly enough, things so old that they've become so outdated that you can only do them on computers. i think that you should consider using computer tools if it is a look you want for your book. comics are about the finished, printed (or online) product, not the original art used to make that product. i understand where you're coming from, but i think you're holding yourself back unnecessarily if these are really things you want to do.
    If it can't be done on the page, I'll find a way to do it on the page. That's the FUN of making comics to me. Getting messy.

    Someday I'll work digital. I'd love to get a Cintiq. But for what i'm doing, it's necessary that it's done on the page because in some cases it's PART of the art and story and not just used for shading purposes. Ever see Craig Thompson's Habibi pages? He could easilly do the fancy graphics and weave designs in photoshop, but i's part of the art and necessary to be on the page. I really can't explain why, but once you see some pages you'll probably understand.
    Everyone's got one. Here's my Webcomic

  8. #8

    Re: anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donal DeLay View Post
    If it can't be done on the page, I'll find a way to do it on the page. That's the FUN of making comics to me. Getting messy.

    Someday I'll work digital. I'd love to get a Cintiq. But for what i'm doing, it's necessary that it's done on the page because in some cases it's PART of the art and story and not just used for shading purposes. Ever see Craig Thompson's Habibi pages? He could easilly do the fancy graphics and weave designs in photoshop, but i's part of the art and necessary to be on the page. I really can't explain why, but once you see some pages you'll probably understand.
    i understand. i've seen plenty of comic art in person and it's always fascinating. but i think making comics is about telling a story and that story is the end product and you should do whatever you can to achieve your vision of that finished product. the original pages aren't important if you ask me.

  9. #9
    GODFATHER Donal DeLay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida. Still.
    Posts
    20,851

    Re: anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rose View Post
    i understand. i've seen plenty of comic art in person and it's always fascinating. but i think making comics is about telling a story and that story is the end product and you should do whatever you can to achieve your vision of that finished product. the original pages aren't important if you ask me.
    Believe me, I think the same way. If I cared that much aabout the original pages I wuldn't use sharpies on them.

    plus ... at 2.20 for a 6x7 sheet, it's cheaper than buying photoshop.

    Wish I could get it, because I'd love to tone out a story like Enrico Casarosa's Haiku 575 online comic. If I was doing it in large sections per page like that it'd most definitely be more cost effective to go digital.
    Everyone's got one. Here's my Webcomic

  10. #10
    Charlie Browniest
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    17,263

    Re: anyone know where to buy Zipatone/Screentone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donal DeLay View Post
    If it can't be done on the page, I'll find a way to do it on the page. That's the FUN of making comics to me. Getting messy.

    Someday I'll work digital. I'd love to get a Cintiq. But for what i'm doing, it's necessary that it's done on the page because in some cases it's PART of the art and story and not just used for shading purposes. Ever see Craig Thompson's Habibi pages? He could easilly do the fancy graphics and weave designs in photoshop, but i's part of the art and necessary to be on the page. I really can't explain why, but once you see some pages you'll probably understand.
    I think I understand where you're coming from. I'm the same way with animation; I generally can't stand any hint that computers were involved. But keep in mind that most people think I'm being irrational about that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •