johnwordballoon Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boxing Thread -yes Boxing

Re: The Boxing Thread -yes Boxing

Quote Originally Posted by sonnylarue View Post
    OH! WOW! COOL!

Sorry, sometimes i miss attemps at board humor...

like when some boarder was trying to be funny, saying the beatles ripped david bowie off from Young americans when it was obviously their day in the life coming first...

I still don't think that's funny

but abe simon? hell the guy went 19 total rounds with Louis, he was a giant of a man.

is he the fighter who claimed to have a cosmic punch?
    Y'know... I dunno! I was actually hoping you'd have some fun facts like that to throw out about him. My wife didn't even know he fought Lewis until she found a few You Tube videos of it.

He was huge.

RECKSTAR - a webcomic in space! Updates Tuesdays | GATEWALKER - an urban fantasy serial novel from JukePopSerials.com! Updates...?
    Words of wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by Mylazycat View Post
    Seriously, you should be writing comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by dasNdanger View Post
    Can you please write all my comic books from now on??
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    treat others the way you want to be treated, you dicks.
    "Don't be cool. Like everything." - Shaky Kane

Lou Nova had the Cosmic Punch ,

but i believe the abe simon rematch was scheduled to go 20 rounds (which was 5 more than the championship limit back then of 15) , but Louis Knocked him out in 6 .

Hey John, any recent fights that you'd recommend seeking out and watching? And any upcoming fights that you're anticipating?
    "There's a great play called 'Humulus The Mute' written by these two French authors, and it's about a dumb boy who is granted a wish that he can say one word every year -- and he falls in love with a girl he sees riding a bicycle. At the end of the play, he saves up his words for years not saying anything at all, then blurts out 'I love you, will you marry me?' and the punch-line is that she's deaf, which I find quite funny."
    -- Nick Cave

tonight's lightweight bout juan diaz vs michael katsidis on hbo is a good crossroads contender match.

actually there's a few good fights this month

September 13

At Las Vegas (HBO PPV)

Sergio Mora vs. Vernon Forrest, rematch, 12 rounds

WBC junior middleweight title

Nate Campbell vs. Joan Guzman, 12 rounds

WBO/IBF/WBA lightweight title
    then these
    Junior Middleweight (154 pounds): Shane Mosley (44-5, 37 KOs) vs. Ricardo Mayorgo (29-6-1, 23 KOs) on Sept. 27, 2008 in Carson, Calif. -- HBO

Light Heavyweight (175 pounds): Antonio Tarver (26-4, 19 KOs) vs. Chad Dawson (26-0, 17 KOs) on Oct. 10 in Las Vegas, Nev. -- SHOWTIME

Heavyweight: Samuel Peter (30-1, 23 KOs) vs. Vitali Klitschko (35-2, 34 KOs) on Oct. 11 in Berlin, Germany

Middleweight (160 pounds): Kelly Pavlik (34-0, 30 KOs) vs. Bernard Hopkins (48-5-1, 32 KOs) on Oct. 18 in Atlantic City, N.J. -- PPV

Light Heavyweight (175 pounds): Roy Jones Jr. (52-4, 38 KOs), vs. Joe Calzaghe (45-0, 32 KOs) on Nov. 8 in New York City. -- PPV

Junior Welterweight (140 pounds): Paulie Malignaggi (25-1, 5 KOs) vs. Ricky Hatton (44-1, 31 KOs) on Nov. 22 in Las Vegas, Nev. -- HBO

Possible Welterweight (147 pounds): Oscar De La Hoya (39-5, 30 KOs) vs. Manny Pacquiao (47-3-2, 35 KOs) on Dec. 6 in Las Vegas, Nev.
    Last edited by sonnylarue; 09-06-2008 at 10:13 AM.

I ran across a special or something on the Julio Caesar Chavez/Meldrick Taylor fight on one of the ESPNs (sadly, not the Ocho) and wondered what your take on it was. Awesome fight, but do you think Steele was in the right calling it like he did?

Quote Originally Posted by GMatias View Post
    I ran across a special or something on the Julio Caesar Chavez/Meldrick Taylor fight on one of the ESPNs (sadly, not the Ocho) and wondered what your take on it was. Awesome fight, but do you think Steele was in the right calling it like he did?
    one of my all time favs...and yes i do think steele made the right call

taylor was out on his feet, steele asked him twice ARE YOU OK? right in his face and taylor could barley nod.

when he went to the hospital after the fight it turned out he was ingesting blood for a few rounds before the stoppage. plus his orbital bone near his eye socket was fractured. chavez was quietly busting him up of the 12 rounds.

taylor was winning the fight on points but chavez made an amazing comeback in that last minute with over a dozen unanswered punches resulting in the knockdown.

it's sad how punchy taylor is today, he was an amazing fighter who got hit way too much.

Roy Jones and Joe Calzaghe had their press conference today annoucing their fight.

I sure hope Calzaghe wins.

Roy was a talented untouchable middleweight, but frankly the man squandered his prime, when he could've run the board fighting everyone (including a younger Calzaghe)

instead, the guy was content to fight bs "1 contenders and let hopkins,fmr undefeated 175 lb king Dariusz Michalczewski, tommy hearns, slip by.

meanwhile calzaghe just beat bernared hopkins in their amazing lt hvy match , and has never ducked a worthy opponent.

roy never uses his jab and thinks he's still as fast as he was in his prime, which is why his hands are always held low, making him wide open fo knockdowns.

If I'm posting, tell me to go answer Alysha as to why I have three active accounts.

How do you feel about Wii boxing, John? :]

Quote Originally Posted by maverick-99 View Post
    How do you feel about Wii boxing, John? :]
    it's a blast! wish i owned a wii

John -

Did you see John McCain's recent sports center interview where he talks about boxing and ppv's effects on the popularity of the sport?

I was thinking about this recently. I was never super into boxing, but I'd always watch fights on tv with my dad. Now I have basic cable and I can pretty much never see boxing, but there's no less than 4 mma leagues I can see on a regular basis.