BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Early For Bought/Thought (5/14/08) Lazy Bitches?

Too Early For Bought/Thought (5/14/08) Lazy Bitches?

well too bad. hurry up and read them shits.

cause here it goes.

Batman #676: hmm, try as i might i just can't seem to get what morrison is going for with this character. i keep reading but the majority of his issues i haven't felt were home runs, just a bunch of singles. oooh, didn't even get my own pun there. perhaps it will read better as a full arc/trade.

The Walking Dead #49: my only complaint with this book is that recently it seems like every issue reads in five minutes or less, and that's taking time to appreciate the art throughout. interesting possibilities with the ending. and image is doing a directors cut issue of #1 next week so my initial thoughts are a changing of the guard so to speak. not with kirkman but storywise.

Death Grub #1: the 24 hour comic by Ryan Ottley, invincible artist extraordinaire. eh, i dunno that it was worth 2.99 but a fun little, mostly dialogue-less, book. i lol'd at a couple of parts. i'd recommend ONLY to those who are art fans and like to get anything certain artists produce.

Superman #676: done in one book titled "memorial day" detailing Supes first meeting with Alan Scott back in the day. eh, i decided to pick this up because someone on the board said their good buddy was writing it and because of the alex ross cover. while it didn't exactly tickle my fancy, it was a solid read that would be ok for all ages to read. in that regard, bravo to the writer.

newuniversal:shockfront #1: compared to the first mini this def. lacked. but it was also the first issue so we'll see where it goes. i debated hardcore on whether to get this monthly or wait for the trade because i got the first issue of the last mini and realized i should just trade wait because it's ONLY a mini. might help in those on the fence.

Thunderbolts #120: now this was an ellis book i could really get behind this week. although the story is running waaay long, i'm guessing because of deodato, and not synching up with SI at all but it's still a fun read and i hope they omniboo ellis' issues at the end.

Captain Britain... #1: uh, yea, i seem to be the only one who didn't really dig this issue and feel it's only a marketing ploy to get more money off of SI. but i haven't read the wisdom mini either so maybe that's my fault and failing here.

Project:Superpowers #3: i'm a bit baffled by lack of characterization in this book. i started a thread about it. http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...d.php?t=151328

Wolverine #65: a solid arc by jason aaron but didn't blow my skirt up too much. i'm looking forward to the millar/mcniven run starting next, although recently i went back and reread the first millar run with romita jr. and it did not hold up well at all.

Booster Gold #9: this is the first time on this book i've not been interested in finishing the issue or the arc. i dunno if it's because johns is jumping ship soon or what but i dunno a bit let down with this one.

Titans #2: when i first flipped through this the other day after buying it i felt the art was just horendeous. but after reading the issue and absorbing it i didn't mind so much. i def. don't worship at the alter of wolfman/perez titans but so far this has been a more than decent read and i'll stick around for a few more issues.
    also bought a butt-ton of other books cause i'm a tool for all this marketing crossover crap. more to come.
    Last edited by JimmyF1982; 05-16-2008 at 06:51 AM.

Re: Too Early For Bought/Thought (5/14/08) Lazy Bitches?

oh, i love your bought/thought. no spoilers, just vague-as-hell teases. well done.

as for me:

captain britain and MI-13: good, fun read. i like that's it's essentially a sequel to cornell's wisdom mini. the use of unusual skrulls is pretty awesome herein. i wondered if it would end the way it did, decided it couldn't possibly, and then was happily surprised when it did anyway. this should make for a really interesting and compelling ongoing. i hope it's marvel's version of queen and country. oh, and kirk's art is beautiful here. 8/10

secret invasion: ff: great stuff. kitson's work here is superb. aguire-sacasa hasn't lost a beat since his marvel knights ff work, of which i was a pretty big fan. the ending i sort of saw coming based on solicits, but it was still very cool. also, there was a skrull mindfuck attempt partway through that was really fun and interesting to watch unfold both in and of itself and in terms of its aftermath. 8/10

It's not from this week, but last night I read the Action Comics Annual that finishes the Donner/Johns/Kubert Phantom Zone invaders arc.

For an arc that started kind of "meh" it ended with a huge bang.

I loved the Anti-Krypton Squad led by Luthor. Metallo was great with his use of the kryptonite.

The two page spread at the end that is the side of a building showing the damage from the battle with Superman standing on the truck was probably the best page of art I've seen in a long time. It took Kubert forever to finish this book, but that page alone almost made it worth the wait. While I didn't care for Kubert's Bizzaro, that is probably because I preffered Powell's take.

My one complaint is some of Christopher's dialoge. I get that they were making it look like time has passed between the begining of the arc and the end (the part about Chris meeting Robin), but how could Superman have let the Kryptonians wonder the Earth while he dealt with other problems over in Busiek's Superman book (where Chris did meet Robin)? Shouldn't Zod and crew be Supes' # 1 priority? The time line was a bit screwy is all.

All in all I'd give it an 8/10.
    Facebook ID: Doug Hahner

The new issue of Thunderbolts may be one of my favorite things Ellis has written. The opening monologue was absolutely brilliant, and I was laughing and enjoying the issue throughout. Great book.

The finale to BPRD: 1946 was bigger and more exciting than I expected it to be, and I had high hopes for it based on the first four issues. I hope we get to see more BPRD early years; this one one of the best miniseries of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander Boune View Post
    The new issue of Thunderbolts may be one of my favorite things Ellis has written. The opening monologue was absolutely brilliant, and I was laughing and enjoying the issue throughout. Great book.
    Is this issue a tie-in?

Quote Originally Posted by MicahO View Post
    Is this issue a tie-in?
    I don't think so, I'm pretty sure Ellis's twelve issues are unconnected to the Secret Invasion stuff... this issue is the part five of the second six-issue arc. And it's wonderful.

Walking Dead
    Still a great, quiet issue. I like where Kirkman is going with this. I like the fact that we're catching our breath with Rick. Nothing but despair on the horizon.

Batman
    I still can't figure out where Morrison is going with this. The stories leading up to this haven't really flowed that well. But I'll see what happens. Great, great Joker scene though.

Amazing Spider-Man
    Ugh. I'm really getting tired of the stories always being the same. Pete needs money, his camera doesn't work, Jameson in rehab. And I don't like the look of this new villain. I'd just like something different to happen.

Thunderbolts
    Funny and creepy. The way the team is being picked apart is a lot of fun to see.

The Twelve
    I really liked the Witness scene. Great character. But this story just seems to not be moving anywhere for me. I want the characters to move the readjusment period. It seems like that's the only thing that's happened.

From the reviews, I'm not yet really motivated to go to buy my comics (although I will probably later today)
    Dropping more science than a Kansas school board!

My Facebook - My Google+ - My Twitter - AIM: Bean2999 - GTalk: 19bernardo87@gmail.com

Right Guy The Goddamn Schweitz!'s Avatar

Amazing Spider-Man - AWESOME! I fucking loved it. Especially the Parkour Luck joke. Great fun issue all around. I really wasn't a huge fan of last weeks issue, but this one delivered all the goods. When I read issues like this I get a little upset that Slott doesn't have the sole writing chore on Spidey cause this was great! And I really loved the art. Really really loved this issue all around.
    I made a movie! Here is the trailer! Help us spread the word! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qkoKhPmGa4

And LIKE us on facebook! This Time Tomorrow!!! http://www.facebook.com/pages/This-T...093554?sk=wall

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...39&ref=profile <= my facebook. Feel free to friend me, just let me know you're from the board.

FF: Secret Invasion #1: Awesome. I really really enjoyed it and have a feeling this might be one of my favorite parts of the crossover. It took the characters from where we left them in SI #1 and while it's not integral to the plot of the overall book it definitely works and answers a lot of questions about the Fantastic Four. I liked the attempt to fool Johnny, I liked the cliffhanger, even if it's been more or less spoiled by solicts. It just worked for me. 9/10

Batman: RIP - Good. I liked it. But it was very much the set-up issue. I'm curious to see where it's going, though and it'll read better in trade, I bet. 7/10

Captain Britian and the MI-13 - Good. I liked i... yeah it was set-up, but nice 'I'll buy the next one' set-up!' I'll talk more in the review thread.

I still have a shit load to read, though. It was a crazy week for fringe books: Wolverine one shot by Lapham, speaking of Lapham: Young Liars 3, X-Men Origins: Colossus, Final Crisis sketchbook, Huntress: Year One #1

And then there were a bunch of good books I've not gotten to yet: Booster Gold! Thunderbolts! Guardians of the Galaxy! Slott and Martin of 'Amazing'! Aaron and Garney end their 'Wolverine' story!

I'm looking forward to the rest of my stack...