BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Staying Single vs. Getting Married: Why?

Thumbs up Staying Single vs. Getting Married: Why?

I was inspired by lonesomefool's money/happiness thread to go ahead and pose this question to y'all. And I noticed a few people say their desire for happiness/money would be different if they were single versus being married. And I have had many arguments with my friends over this topic, so I might as well argue with mostly complete strangers as well!

So here we go:

For those of you who are married, why did you choose to get married?

For those of you who are single (by choice), why do you choose to stay single?

As for me: I'm 27 and a relatively successful guy (personal income of six figures, business income of more than that) who really sees no point nor need to getting married. At least, not for a long time.

There are several reasons for that, key among them being that there is no benefit to me at this time to get married. I am in a healthy dating situation, I have plenty of companionship, and with my business the way it is and the growth that it's been seeing the last few years, I couldn't see stalling any of my endeavors. I have no desire to have kids (I do have a dog though), I travel a lot, and with the average human lifespan in the mid-70s, I still have a lot of life ahead of me. I absolutely love my life as it is and couldn't imagine circumstances changing it.

If I were married, I couldn't travel like I'd want to, I couldn't make certain business decisions without needing to consider her, and if kids were a factor, I'd have a lot less time to spend on business. It'd be a complete departure from my life as it is now.

And let's be frank - 50% of marriages end in divorce, with the finances getting split along various lines (not to mention The Drama), and that's not an investment I'd be willing to make.

And yes, I know the word "love" falls in there somewhere, but you can be in love with someone and have everything that comes with a loving, long-lasting relationship without needing a legal document to prove you're together.

But that's just me.

What about you?

Re: Staying Single vs. Getting Married: Why?

I always get my ass kicked on this subject because I am waaaaay old fashioned when it comes to love and marriage. If I love someone, marriage is my goal. I never dated any girl that I had no intentions of marrying. Which means I didn't date a lot.

I married my wife because I loved her. There was no other reason needed, for me. I am certainly not trying to sound superior to anyone else's choices in life. That is strickly me.

Children on the other hand are a different story. While I have my sons now, and would never give them up, I would have totally been happy being childless our whole marriage. While I think love and marriage go hand in hand, children and marriage don't always go hand in hand.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson

Bettie Page 4/22/23 - 12/11/08

Spoiler:

I'm only single technically. In most other states I'd be common-law, but there is no common law in VA. That being said the reason I'm not married is becasue I grew up in a divorced family and in a situation where most of my friends parents were divorced. Grown up I've watched many of my close friends get divorced, including all 3 of the marriages that I personally was best man at (I may be a curse, I dunno). Anyway, my personal opinion is that Marriages can ruin a perfectly good relationship, and if it aint broke, dont fix it.
    Zork T. Cat 7/1994-10/2013 RIP

I was married for five years. It was hell.

I've dated some really great guys that I would have loved to have stayed with longer but they decided that they wanted to be married. I did not. I still do not. I'm all for commitment with the right person but after being divorced 16 years I don't foresee myself ever getting married again. I can't say I will never change my mind but I doubt I will.

Quote Originally Posted by chris page
    you're a little dork, a little NINJAPIRATE and the rest is equal mixture christian bale/johnny depp/angelina jolie lust.

MySpace /
    Comic Space of the RK gang

Large Hadron Collider Dreaded Anomaly's Avatar

One correction: the divorce rate is not, and has never been, 50%. http://www.divorcereform.org/nyt05.html

As to the question, my response: the possibility of sex. I'll let you figure out to which option I'm referring!

Quote Originally Posted by amy View Post
    I was married for five years. It was hell.

I've dated some really great guys that I would have loved to have stayed with longer but they decided that they wanted to be married. I did not. I still do not. I'm all for commitment with the right person but after being divorced 16 years I don't foresee myself ever getting married again. I can't say I will never change my mind but I doubt I will.
    So sorry to hear Ms Amy. I don't know the reason that it happened . . . well I'm just sorry. I always hurt a little bit when I hear divorce. I love my wife and hope it never comes to that with us. I mean it won't for me, I am really forgiving. But anyways . . . sorry.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson

Bettie Page 4/22/23 - 12/11/08

Spoiler:

I was married at 23, and I've been married for over 20 years. People get married in order to make a permanent commitment to each other. Today, our kids feel very secure, having two easy-going parents who are in love with each other. My own folks divorced but that was because of their choices and their own character issues, not because the institution of marriage itself is flawed. If you do it the right way, marriage can be the greatest experience of anyone's life.

Single: pragmatically because I prefer/crave peace and quiet, and because I don't see what the fuck anyone would want in me, anyway.

Furthermore, relationships are built on trust, and mine's been dead since the late 90's.

I got published. Order here: http://www.amazon.com/Greg-Burch/e/B...athr_dp_pel_12

The Zevad
    Re: Amanda Bynes Wants Her Vagina Murdered

Quote Originally Posted by Black Roman View Post
    Quelle surprise.
    Oh God. I have Roman's penis blood on my sledge hammer. Oh God.

Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    So sorry to hear Ms Amy. I don't know the reason that it happened . . . well I'm just sorry. I always hurt a little bit when I hear divorce. I love my wife and hope it never comes to that with us. I mean it won't for me, I am really forgiving. But anyways . . . sorry.
    Thanks. I am a stronger person for it so something good came of it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris page
    you're a little dork, a little NINJAPIRATE and the rest is equal mixture christian bale/johnny depp/angelina jolie lust.

MySpace /
    Comic Space of the RK gang

I was married for a little over 20 years.

I've been single now for 3.

I enjoyed being married...most of the time. And there are times that I miss it. I get terrible lonely, especially on the weekend, when I'm not working. But I don't want to be with just anyone to end the loneliness.

I find myself either being too picky about the women I date, too lazy to put a lot of work into a relationship now, and then I think that even though I do get lonely, being single is just where I'm supposed to be right now.

Don't know if I'll ever get married again. At this moment I don't know if I'll ever even have a serious relationship with anyone ever again.