BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: LITG: John Byrne redoes a Bendis MA panel

Re: LITG: John Byrne redoes a Bendis MA panel

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Nelson (his Action Comics inker) was taking it upon himself to redraw some things. Byrne was understandly not happy, but I never heard him raise hell about it or anything.

Gail would know better than I.
    The sad thing about that, is I actually thought his "work" with Nelson was the best his artwork had looked in years. I understand why he wasnt happy, but his run on that book with Gail is about the only thing he has done since I have started reading comics again that I really enjoyed looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBelandTSSTG View Post
    Anyone who wrote the dialogue, let alone the plot to this:

needs to shut the hell up and draw. I mean... really.
    Those were the first words out of my mouth, my parents say. How could you be so cruel, Tom Beland??

I just don't know why John had to do this so publicly. He could've done the panel, done the dialogue and send it to Brian with a note saying what issues he had with the dialogue. Doing it the way he did was just so ridiculous.

My first reaction was this one. He so never got what Spidey was about and Brian could've easily ripped John's work on this book just as publicly. But he hasn't done so, which shows more class. And I've been a HUGE Byrne fan for most of his career. But to throw stones at someone else's writing, with THIS on their resume is a pretty daring thing to do.
    "Chicacabra"
    "True Story, Swear to God"
    PO BOX 9020278
    San Juan, Puerto Rico, 00902

tom@tombeland.com

B.'s probably gonna cry if he ever sees this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBelandTSSTG View Post
    I just don't know why John had to do this so publicly. He could've done the panel, done the dialogue and send it to Brian with a note saying what issues he had with the dialogue. Doing it the way he did was just so ridiculous.
    I can't seem to find the thread where Byrne originally did it (Rich's link just goes to the thread where the Byrne board discovered it had "gone public"), but my sense is that Byrne didn't do this as some shot across the bow. I think someone on Byrne's board just posted the Bendis panel, which as Rich himself noted has already been the subject of plenty of internet joking, and Byrne posted a recent Doom pin-up he'd done with added dialogue showing how he'd have conveyed the same meaning. It seems more like a lark to me, though perhaps destined to blow up because everyone watches Byrne's board like a hawk for the latest outrage. I know, at least, that the Doom image was a commission from a few months ago, which makes the whole thing seem far less premeditated.

My first reaction was this one. He so never got what Spidey was about and Brian could've easily ripped John's work on this book just as publicly. But he hasn't done so, which shows more class. And I've been a HUGE Byrne fan for most of his career. But to throw stones at someone else's writing, with THIS on their resume is a pretty daring thing to do.
    You know Bendis spoofed Byrne in an Oni press special way back when, right? I think he portrayed him as Ego the Living Planet. I also seem to remember a jab in Fortune and Glory. And here and there elsewhere. Now...I wouldn't be shocked if Byrne fired the first shot, and he's hardly ever the "good guy", but neither of these dudes has exactly shown a lot of class where the other is concerned.

There was a time when I loathed John Byrne. I placed him in the same leaky lifeboat as Todd McFarlane. But as the years pass and I look back on the thousands of hours of storytelling entertainment his run on Fantastic Four gave me when I was growing up, I find it harder and harder to harbor such feelings for the man. Nowadays, I put in him in the same sturdy-with-a-working-engine lifeboat as Steve Ditko. And thus, I can look at the Dr. Doom picture and (a) appreciate it for the work of art it is, and (b) give a little chuckle. After all, he kind of has a point (no offense intended there B-Man).
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS!
    that is the darkest, coldest shit i have ever seen on this board. wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
    There was a time when I loathed John Byrne. I placed him in the same leaky lifeboat as Todd McFarlane. But as the years pass and I look back on the thousands of hours of storytelling entertainment his run on Fantastic Four gave me when I was growing up, I find it harder and harder to harbor such feelings for the man. Nowadays, I put in him in the same sturdy-with-a-working-engine lifeboat as Steve Ditko. And thus, I can look at the Dr. Doom picture and (a) appreciate it for the work of art it is, and (b) give a little chuckle. After all, he kind of has a point (no offense intended there B-Man).
    He's certainly not the first amazing creator to turn into a cranky ol' bastard in his later years. C.C. Beck, the creator of Captain Marvel and one of the true greats of his era, even had a column in the Comics Journal called "The Crusty Curmudgeon."

I half think the Journal should revive that column with Byrne at the helm...

Quote Originally Posted by JABSEN View Post
    Redrawing a panel kinda is. Maybe he does it all the time and I missed it.
    pretty sure there was a time when he drew the ideal Cyclops because his drones were bickering about "how 'slim' should "Slim" Summers be?" after someone drew him quite beefy...
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Parker View Post
    Dan, you're a Steve McQueen-level badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABSEN View Post
    I like to say Dan Lombardo's name in a TV game show announcer voice.

Daaaaaaan LOMBARDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by markgrayson View Post
    Wow, special appearance by Daaaaaaan LOMBARDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverWanderer View Post
    And Lombardo slides home with the TRUTH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mylazycat View Post
    Danlomb gets it.

The sad thing is that Byrne won't be man enough to admit his own douchebaggery when it's revealed that "Doom" is a Skrull, hence the non-Doomy dialogue.

Sign up for 2GB of free cloud storage with DropBox! Earn more space with referrals and through other simple tasks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade Lady View Post
    Speech patterns change with the times but there needs to be some effort to remain true to the characters as well. I don't think Bendis' version is how a 21st century Doctor Doom would speak. It just seems plain out of character. Might as well have Aunt May saying "'Sup my nigga?".
    Wow, talk about a non sequitor arguement.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Ethan Van Sciver View Post
    I agree with David the Mighty.
    I agree with Johan the Mighty.
    I agree with Eclipso The Mighty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Van Sciver View Post
    I agree with America Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by buk was right View Post
    I hate you most of all America Dave.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LuckyLeftyArt
    Sports and Music Pop Art by me
    http://daveloves90scomics.tumblr.com/