BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now that I've got your attention -- a question for you Jinxworlders

Grifter

Now that I've got your attention -- a question for you Jinxworlders

Okay, guys, we've had our great debate about creators "spamming" message boards with self-promotional threads, and it was and fun and all, but I've got a serious question for you that falls in the comics promotional/marketing category.

At IDW, we've been making an effort recently to have promotional video trailers made for some of our upcoming and existing titles (and, yeah, I wrote a few of 'em being promoted... SHUDDUP!).

My question is, how many of you find these trailers to be influential to whether or not you buy a comic/graphic novel or not? And I'm talking about trailers from all comic book companies, not just the ones I'll link to below from us. Personally, I love the trailers and find that they get me interested in the book they are promoting -- when done correctly and professionally. What say you?

Here are some of the trailers we've had created (by Hazmat Studios):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbHsuPUVgo0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXbg-5__jFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ploWij_i7Pc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAr-dQY7HzU

(Oh, and a side question -- that last trailer is a low-res version, which I accidentaly uploaded instead of the high-res to youtube. Anyone know a way I can replace the low-res on youtube with the high-res without having to change the URL?)

Thanks, everyone!

Tom Waltz
    Tom Waltz

Editor: IDW Publishing

www.idwpublishing.com

Re: Now that I've got your attention -- a question for you Jinxworlders

pretty decent trailers. i think the last one works best, to be honest. it can sometimes be hard to read a lot of the text in the time given, and if you could replace the text in the first and third with audio, it might help.

i honestly think a decent trailer shown to the right people would help get non readers into comics more. these looked quite good.

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by c. page View Post
    pretty decent trailers. i think the last one works best, to be honest. it can sometimes be hard to read a lot of the text in the time given, and if you could replace the text in the first and third with audio, it might help.

i honestly think a decent trailer shown to the right people would help get non readers into comics more. these looked quite good.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Tom Waltz

www.idwpublishing.com

I don't really like comic trailers. They don't seem to add much compared to the other kinds of advertising. IMO

I LOVE trailers. Love 'em at movies, and as soon as I read the script to my first issue of X-23 I made a trailer for it.

But 99% of the time, trailers for comics don't work. The experience from the trailer is SO different from the experience of reading a comic that it doesn't translate. Like having music. Any motion whatsoever.

The only trailer that I think would work is something that has nothing to with the experience of reading the book itself.

Hey Tom,

Nice trailers you got there.

I tend to get more interested about books through word of mouth than any promo material.

There's just such a glut of new info hammering us daily in the comics world, that even if I dig a trailer or promo art, there's such a long gap between when I've seen it and when its available that I forget about it.

But if friends recommend something or I read opinions from the folks on this board whose opinions I respect, then I make sure to pick it up.

Which reminds me...a deal's a deal...guess I'll be buying a shitload of IDW books Wednesday.

Hi Tom. Not a big fan of the trailers. I like em for movies, but I've always found them a bit cheezy when done for comics. Either way, the strength (or lack thereof) of the trailer really doesn't impact my buying habits.

I know you got a lot of grief (unjustly, I believe) for the last post about the trade paperback, but I always thought those types of posts were the way to go. I've found out about a lot of books from people self promoting their work (especially indie stuff) that I would have passed over in any other instance. And usually, I pick up the books.

One other thing that's cool are those little ads people post in their signatures. It's sort of like a little billboard advertising your product with every post.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom420 View Post
    I don't really like comic trailers. They don't seem to add much compared to the other kinds of advertising. IMO
    That is pretty much my thoughts. Trailers make sense with movies since they are pieces of the finished product. Same with the video game ones recently, but parts of comics are more or less just preview pages or images. I find that comic trailers are just kind of lame to me and I would not waste bandwidth on them for the most part. The older Marvel ones were the epitome of lame in my book. You know, the ones with that deep voiced actor. LAME.
    Check out my reviews and suggestions for pre-orders at my LCS - The Table's Edge

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by The Haven View Post
    Hi Tom. Not a big fan of the trailers. I like em for movies, but I've always found them a bit cheezy when done for comics. Either way, the strength (or lack thereof) of the trailer really doesn't impact my buying habits.

I know you got a lot of grief (unjustly, I believe) for the last post about the trade paperback, but I always thought those types of posts were the way to go. I've found out about a lot of books from people self promoting their work (especially indie stuff) that I would have passed over in any other instance. And usually, I pick up the books.

One other thing that's cool are those little ads people post in their signatures. It's sort of like a little billboard advertising your product with every post.

Good luck.
    Thanks! Actually, the grief was worth it -- made some new friends and actually had a lot of fun on Jinxworld this last weekend. I've got a better idea how to approach things now, so that's good, too. And, I'm happy to hear you found the info helpful -- I've been VERY lucky to work with some talented artists on some books and I really want to do what I can to get them noticed. And, hell, if folks dig my stories, too, then all the better!

Take care,

Tom Waltz
    Tom Waltz

www.idwpublishing.com

Grifter

Quote Originally Posted by Thommy Melanson View Post
    Hey Tom,

Nice trailers you got there.

I tend to get more interested about books through word of mouth than any promo material.

There's just such a glut of new info hammering us daily in the comics world, that even if I dig a trailer or promo art, there's such a long gap between when I've seen it and when its available that I forget about it.

But if friends recommend something or I read opinions from the folks on this board whose opinions I respect, then I make sure to pick it up.

Which reminds me...a deal's a deal...guess I'll be buying a shitload of IDW books Wednesday.
    Just think, you're helping me keep my wife and kid's fed. And me drinking beer (when my wife lets me).

Thanks, man!
    Tom Waltz

www.idwpublishing.com