BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Three Dog Nightmare...

Re: Three Dog Nightmare...

As much as everyone here, including Ethan, wants you to be happy, Sharis, you do realize that as long as you do this Mastiff rescue, there will continue to be dogs you fall in love with, right? What happens the next time?

Gunsel

I'm a dog person in a similar situation. My wife and I currently have 3 dogs. Two medium sized dogs (lab mixes) and a small dog (daucshund/beagle mix). All 3 dogs are rescues and we just can't take any more dogs in. We love them to death and as much as I would love more dogs, it just isn't feasable. That being said, neither my wife nor I could ever work at a shelter or rescue orginization because we would end up with more dogs...we just get attached. That is why my wife and I can't help abused dogs...well, that and I tend to get upset around dog abusers...

and all that being said, if my wife came home with another dog...we would have another dog. He/she would be sleeping in the bed with us and screw all rational thought. Make a deal. I don't know about giving up the rescue, as it is something I wish I could do...but cannot for the before mentioned reasons. Giving that up would be difficult, because it is something that she is apparently good at and enjoys...but 3 big dogs...that would definitely be the limit. Do what your wife wants...it's what you are going to end up doing anyway, so get as much mileage out of it as you can.

I think three is reasonable, especially since they're being rescued. It's not like you're going out and buying purebreeds and stuff like that for your collection. But I would definitely stop at three. Ethan's got a point that this keep going, especially with how emotional and heartbreaking these situations can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade
    I think Boris kicks ass... that's not a question... hell, that's not even an opinion. It's a statement of fact...

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
    Just out of curiosity is the current foster family treating Chrissy well? I'll assume that if they are then it's only a temporary situation until they either can't care for her anymore or they find a family to adopt her permanently.
    She is doing very well in foster care, but we like to have them "bouncing around" as little as possible, it only stresses and confuses them more. And with dogs who are very fragile, emotionally, it makes it much harder on the dog, every time she has to be placed in a new home. The foster can take her SO FAR for 90 days, possibly more, but he is in danger of losing his job after 90 days, and wouldn't be able to keep her after that IF it happens. If he keeps his job, she can stay indefinitely until we can place her.

Quote Originally Posted by AAlgar View Post
    Maybe if you ditch the horse you could accommodate more dogs?
    They're boarded at a barn 9 miles from here And *I* am not the one who BOUGHT A HORSE ON AN IMPULSE BUY! *looks at Ethan*

Quote Originally Posted by GlamourCorpse View Post
    Have you given any thought to getting the dog, continuing to work for the rescue and telling Ethan he can fuck himself if he doesn't like it?
    Nah, I'd never say that to my husband, just as I know he'd never say anything like that to me. I think that's why we've managed to stay happily married for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hays View Post
    As much as everyone here, including Ethan, wants you to be happy, Sharis, you do realize that as long as you do this Mastiff rescue, there will continue to be dogs you fall in love with, right? What happens the next time?
    Okay, Hays. Number one, you're officially disowned for taking Ethan's side.
    Number two: THREE DOGS IS MY OWN PERSONAL LIMIT. Always has been, That's why we OWN two and occasionally foster ONE. I do not have the resources, or the personal werewithall to deal with more than three. That is my absolute limit. I've had 4 in the house for two hours, and it's reinforced my decision. If we took in Chrissy, we would no longer be able to foster, even for an hour, even in an emergency situation.

And telling me it's either rescue or the dog just plain stinks. Sorry. I love you, Ethan, and I think that 99% of the time, you're a wise man, and I listen to what you say, but I think that ultimatum is cruel and unreasonable. Period.

Just a side note: we got an application in on Chrissy this afternoon. If this is truly the perfect home for her, I will be satisfied that Chrissy will live out the remainder of her days (remember, she's 7, and that's the expected lifespan of an English Mastiff) in love and security, that will be enough for me. But she needs a permanent home of her own SOON. Why not us?
    The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~Arabian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by ClintP View Post
    It almost sounds like a real band from back in the day.
    That's what makes it so great. It's not just a play on words it's a play on a band name everyone knows. Some one should use it...
    --Dewey

Chiseler

As a dog lover, I would side with you, S. But, also as a dog-lover who has 2 dogs (one is a rescued greyhound) already, I won't get involved in rescue or fostering for the liklihood of attachment. I KNOW me, and I would want to save as many as I could. Watching those poor mistreated or abandoned dogs would greak my heart.

My wife loves our dogs, but didn't always have the patience for them when they were in their "bad years". And ours were failry well-behaved. She REALLY wants a rottie (cause she had one before and hindsight has convinced her that it was perfect from the day it was born), but everytime she goes goo-goo over a puppy, I remind her that *I* would be fine with another and SHE would freak out because it would not be PERFECT. She agrees and we both decide our NEXT dog would be a rottie, but only after one of the others has gone.

Also, Ethan, it's pretty bad IMHO to say you can keep it, then back out.

One more thing for both to consider is that this dog will not likely be with you very long. Most large dogs don't live that long (as S said). On the one hand, this may be some consolation to E. It may be a bad thing for S, though, knowing that you will care for this dog, and have to let it go, or make the decision to put it down should it come to that.

So I am not really taking a side. Just sharing mine and my wife's experience with a similar issue.

And you got a HORSE on impulse? Waddayu, NUTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharis the Bunny View Post
    Okay, Hays. Number one, you're officially disowned for taking Ethan's side.
    Number two: THREE DOGS IS MY OWN PERSONAL LIMIT. Always has been, That's why we OWN two and occasionally foster ONE. I do not have the resources, or the personal werewithall to deal with more than three. That is my absolute limit. I've had 4 in the house for two hours, and it's reinforced my decision. If we took in Chrissy, we would no longer be able to foster, even for an hour, even in an emergency situation.
    Woah, woah. I didn't say you shouldn't have the dog! I just wanted to make sure you'd thought about future scenarios of this happening again!

Woah, woah. I didn't say you shouldn't have the dog! I just wanted to make sure you'd thought about future scenarios of this happening again!
    Ok then...you're back in the family!
    The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~Arabian Proverb

The Effing President TheTravis!'s Avatar

If she shitcanned Ethan, that would make space for three or four dogs EASY.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    the travis is a sweety.

Travis M. Holyfield
    http://www.travismholyfield.blogspot.com/

Keep it.

What the hell. Might as well.