BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Dog Nightmare...

Ethan Van Sciver

Three Dog Nightmare...

My wife volunteers for Mastiff rescue, she's a state coordinator. I was wary of this because I knew she'd probably want to personally rescue a dog herself...it's impossible not to get involved personally in these abuse cases and want to provide a home for one of them.

So there's a mastiff that was cruelly beaten by it's male owner. She was turned in, and we fostered her for one night before delivering her to a temporary home in Virginia, where she'll hopefully be adopted out.

My wife hasn't been able to stop thinking about this dog. We already have two, but seriously, it's been a week, and she was just really taken with this dog.

I have allergies, but I take medications for them. I can survive another large dog in the house, even though I don't particularly love the idea. Is three dogs too many? I want my wife to be happy, but I don't want the neighbors to think we're nuts. What do you think?

Re: Three Dog Nightmare...

Depends on the size of your house and the space for the three dogs to roam.

My grandfather had 7 dogs at one point but they were mostly taken care of by servants and assistants he had. He also had a huge house with a large open space in front of it for them to roam in.

It also depends on your ability to care for them. If you think you can give them the care and attention then go for it, I guess.
    AIM ID : ashpcomics | Website |Blog | Twitter |

If I was you Id do whatever it takes to keep her around. Your wife not the dog...
    Originally Posted by TheTravis!
    It's not rape if you wear a Darth Vader mask.
    http://www.frb3.net/

Ethan Van Sciver

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Depends on the size of your house and the space for the three dogs to roam.

My grandfather had 7 dogs at one point but they were mostly taken care of by servants and assistants he had. He also had a huge house with a large open space in front of it for them to roam in.

It also depends on your ability to care for them. If you think you can give them the care and attention then go for it, I guess.
    I refuse to care for any of them. I don't like the dogs, and I'm allergic to them. My wife cares for them, and she's the dog person. She does fine with the two, our house could accommodate another. It's just...I don't know if I want to be a family that has three dogs. It's a lot.

Ethan Van Sciver

Quote Originally Posted by DaGetHighKnight View Post
    If I was you Id do whatever it takes to keep her around. Your wife not the dog...
    Well that's idiotic.

My friend's wife was with the local Humane Society and got an abused mastiff. This dog was fucked up. It finally ended up attacking my friend and had to be put down.
    These dogs are huge and bred to not let up when they attack. Not a dog you want to have "issues" with.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Ethan Van Sciver View Post
    Well that's idiotic.
    Im just trying to help, you really don't seem like the Casanova type..
    Originally Posted by TheTravis!
    It's not rape if you wear a Darth Vader mask.
    http://www.frb3.net/

Ethan Van Sciver

Quote Originally Posted by GlamourCorpse View Post
    My friend's wife was with the local Humane Society and got an abused mastiff. This dog was fucked up. It finally ended up attacking my friend and had to be put down.
    These dogs are huge and bred to not let up when they attack. Not a dog you want to have "issues" with.
    I've never seen that side of a mastiff. This poor girl is really shy around men, so it would be a project to get her to not piss submissively whenever I enter the same room. It's heartbreaking. Again, I'm not a dog person, but I can see why she's so interested in helping this animal.

Ethan Van Sciver

Quote Originally Posted by DaGetHighKnight View Post
    Im just trying to help, you really don't seem like the Casanova type..
    And yet, here I am, and there you are. It must be the size of my penis.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Ethan Van Sciver View Post
    I refuse to care for any of them. I don't like the dogs, and I'm allergic to them. My wife cares for them, and she's the dog person. She does fine with the two, our house could accommodate another. It's just...I don't know if I want to be a family that has three dogs. It's a lot.
    I know a guy who with his wife adopts rescue dogs. They're big into puppy mill rescue and they walk dogs for the SPCA. They have at least seven dogs, though they're little cat-sized things. They also have at least 2 cats.

So the thing is, there'll always be another dog to rescue, and there'll never be a good reason to say no to not hosting one. It sounds like you have a problem with another dog to me, but you don't want to be the bad guy. Only you can decide what to do, but know yourself and know that it may not end with three. Draw a firm line in the sand somewhere - at three, or at four, or at two, and hold to the number of dogs you're prepared to have in the house.

Or learn to love and live with many, many dogs. Those are your choices as I see them.