When did Mario become a hypersaccharine exercise in cuteness? The older games teetered between surreal and psychedelic, whereas '[Super Mario] Galaxy' comes off like a sugar-dipped Care Bear. Let's compare:
- Classic Mario!
- Sounded like a gruff pro wrestler.
- '[Super Mario] World' was eerily alive yet appreciably silent.
- Turned into a take-no-names, badass hammer-flinging turtle.
- Stomped enemies in a giant wind-up shoe.
- Modern Mario!
- Sounds like a shrieking castrato.
- '[Super Mario] Galaxy' is obnoxiously alive and squeaky.
- Turns into a fuzzy-wuzzy, adorable bumblebee.
- Feeds candy-like star bits to cuddly baby stars.
Source. EGM. December 2007. Issue 224. Page 85.