BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: Great Interview with Frank Lucas & Nicky Barnes

All things being equal, I'd rather be in Philadelphia

Great Interview with Frank Lucas & Nicky Barnes

The NYC drug kingpins of the late 60-70s. Both are portrayed in American Gangster. Lucas by Denzel Washington and Barnes by Cuba Gooding Jr. This is a facinating interview between the two that documents the first time they've spoken to each other in over 30 years. A great companion piece to the movie.

http://nymag.com/guides/money/2007/39948/

Re: Great Interview with Frank Lucas & Nicky Barnes

Stern mentioned this morning that because this all pre-dates NY's "Son of Sam" laws, Lucas is making a mint off of this movie
    Originally Posted by Glixy:
    I'm not sure if you're middle aged, but the only things I know about you are your avatar picture, and that you are a lawyer, so I picture you as some kind of cross between K. Richards, and L. Hutz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
    Stern mentioned this morning that because this all pre-dates NY's "Son of Sam" laws, Lucas is making a mint off of this movie
    Really? So it's the crime itself and not the publication of the work? That's really odd. Does this mean Manson could make a killing (no pun intended) if he releaced an autobiography?

edit

Actually it looks like the original Son of Sam laws were different than the newly revised ones
    In 1987, lawyers for Simon and Schuster sued the New York authorities to enjoin enforcement of the Son of Sam law. Their case involved the book Wiseguy, written by Nicholas Pileggi about ex-mobster Henry Hill and used as the basis for the film Goodfellas. The case reached the Supreme Court in 1991. In an 8-0 ruling, the court ruled the law unconstitutional. Simon & Schuster v. Crime Victims Board 502 U.S. 105 (1991). The majority opinion was that the law was overinclusive, and would have prevented the publication of such works as The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Thoreau's Civil Disobedience, and even The Confessions of Saint Augustine.

The Supreme Court ruling actually stated that Son of Sam laws could conceivably be constitutional, but only if written very carefully with regard to First Amendment concerns. Though this original New York law was struck down, various states (including New York) have laws to prevent felons from capitalizing on their crimes written with an eye towards adhering to the First Amendment ruling laid out by the Supreme Court.

New York, after numerous revisions, adopted a law in 2001 again known as the "Son of Sam" law.[1] This law requires that victims of crimes be notified whenever a person convicted of a crime received $10,000 (US) or more--from virtually any source.[2] The law then attaches a springing statute of limitations, giving victims an extended period of time to sue the perperator of the crime for the crimes of which they were the victim.[3] This law also authorizes a state agency, the Crime Victims' Board, to act of the victims' behalf in some limited circumstances.[4] Thus far, the current New York law has survived constitutional scrutiny.
    But I would imagine that since
    American Gangster Ending spoiler
    Lucas turned States Evidence, that he's immune to civil procecution too

That was a fascinating interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Little View Post
    That was a fascinating interview.
    Truly. Both are facinating characters. And that section about them becoming folk heroes in many circles is very true. I never heard of Frank Lucas before I saw American Gangster, but I had heard of Nicky Barnes in passing, both in popular culture (music, movies etc) and in conversations that older family members had.

Land of the 27-Time World Series Champions.

Awesome.