BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the Brits on the board, how do you pronounce 'Slough' as in the town?

For the most part doing more important things.

For the Brits on the board, how do you pronounce 'Slough' as in the town?

I'm unsure. And when I wiki'd it, it gave some greek letter in the pronounciation. I'm reasonably sure it doesn't rhyme with Fluff. I was saying it as though it rhymed with Cow. Anyone know?

I feel remarkably unburdened with the need to explain, justify or defend anything I say, feel or do online to any self-entitled anonymous snarkwit who feels I owe their point of view a form of cogent argument or debate. Life is too short to stress myself arguing with strangers over minutiae. Ya don't like it, ignore me and go read something else. -WinterRose

Re: For the Brits on the board, how do you pronounce 'Slough' as in the town?

It rhymed with "cow" on the UK Office.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough, it's not fit for humans now.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    It rhymed with "cow" on the UK Office.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough, it's not fit for humans now.
    Cool. Then I was saying it right. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

I feel remarkably unburdened with the need to explain, justify or defend anything I say, feel or do online to any self-entitled anonymous snarkwit who feels I owe their point of view a form of cogent argument or debate. Life is too short to stress myself arguing with strangers over minutiae. Ya don't like it, ignore me and go read something else. -WinterRose

Chiseler

Albert speaks the truth, the vowel sound is the same as cow.
    Before you criticise a person, walk a mile in their shoes, then you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

Brittish are funny speakers.

They say "lewtenant" as "leftenant". It's adorable.
    Everyone's got one. Here's my Webcomic

It's like in the rockabye baby song-- "When the bough breaks.." I would imagine slough is pronounced the same as bough.

Quote Originally Posted by Donal View Post

Army Pronounciations have always confused me.

Corps= Core ?
    Colonel = Curnel?

Colonel-

Originally Latin colonella meaning "column" to designate the leader of a column of men. In French, coronel. Used in French form in English due to French influence in 15th century England and second syllable kept shortening. Eventually changed back to a latinate spelling with French pronunciation.

Kind of the same deal with corps. Comes to English through French.

Well... Now I just need to figure out rapidshare and I can start uploading episodes of Good Omens for you folks as I finish em.

Quote Originally Posted by Donal View Post

That one has always bothered me. Where the fuck did that come from?

I certainly don't say it anyway. I refuse to.