BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thoughts and opinions on Fun Home?

thoughts and opinions on Fun Home?

finally got around to picking it up, and i know that it was the number one book of last year on almost every "best of list" out there in the real world, but i was wondering everyone here's opinion before i dive in

and there are any spoilers, please keep them to yourselves

Re: thoughts and opinions on Fun Home?

I got halfway through the book and I haven't finished it yet. It's pretty god damn depressing, but again, only half way through. I'll let you know when I sit down to finish it. I really like the art, though. Very expressive.

i only checked it out from my library, and didn't get very far. my girlfriend, who isn't so much into comics, enjoyed it well enough.

it didn't really click with me... something felt off to me? but, i'll try it again someday.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew french View Post
    i only checked it out from my library, and didn't get very far. my girlfriend, who isn't so much into comics, enjoyed it well enough.

it didn't really click with me... something felt off to me? but, i'll try it again someday.
    I know what you mean...I read half way through in a car ride, and I've chosen re-reading other things over picking it up and finishing it...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew french View Post

I have to agree. I didn't care for how she told the story, came off cold, like she was telling me about the story instead of utilizing the medium to tell the story. I don't think I'm saying it well, it was just a very distant approach. I'm not smart enough to know about the first and third person narrative and all that, but I think the type of story she was telling should have been told differently for me personally to connect.

i get the impression it wasn't made for the general comic reading public

Quote Originally Posted by dEnny! View Post
    I have to agree. I didn't care for how she told the story, came off cold, like she was telling me about the story instead of utilizing the medium to tell the story. I don't think I'm saying it well, it was just a very distant approach. I'm not smart enough to know about the first and third person narrative and all that, but I think the type of story she was telling should have been told differently for me personally to connect.
    I thought that was the point. You know parallel with the cold and distant relationship with her father.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bang View Post
    I thought that was the point. You know parallel with the cold and distant relationship with her father.
    Good point. I'll have to go reread now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Lyon Goddard View Post
    i get the impression it wasn't made for the general comic reading public
    So then it's perfect for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dEnny! View Post
    So then it's perfect for you.
    in that i mean it seemed aimed more at the literary crowds

jerk face