BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thieves & Kings

Thieves & Kings

If you haven't read this series yet, you are missing out.

MISSING.

OUT!

It's like Bone... except better? I like it way better.

And believe it or not, I think this one might have been a Goddard recommendation. Scary.
    Jim Clark
    Writer of stuff

Eisner nominated "Best Digital Comic" 2010
    Harvey nominated "Best Online Comics Work" 2011

Re: Thieves & Kings

I've been a huge fan from the beginning, love this book! Mark Oakley used to attend the Motor City comic con with a bunch of other Canadian creators years ago, they used to all come down together.

Such a cool guy! He would bring an extra chair with him and ask people to have a seat who stopped by his table, that way you could be comfortable while talking to him. He'd do really involved free sketches for everyone who stopped by. One year I sat with him for about a half hour while he talked about the inspiration for the book (Nausicaa is the main influence btw) and his desire to do absolutely everything he could himself. He was very proud of self publishing.

It's a genuine labor of love book, he poured everything he had into it. It is a fantastic story.

Chiseler

I tried out the first two volumes but I couldn't get into it. The art was alright, and it's normally the type of story I'd enjoy, but the writing just seemed a bit clunky.

Mark Oakley is a super nice guy though, he talked to me for a good 15-20 minutes and gave me a nice sketch. Definately one of the nicest/friendliest creators I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post
    I tried out the first two volumes but I couldn't get into it. The art was alright, and it's normally the type of story I'd enjoy, but the writing just seemed a bit clunky.

Mark Oakley is a super nice guy though, he talked to me for a good 15-20 minutes and gave me a nice sketch. Definately one of the nicest/friendliest creators I've ever met.
    The story finds a really good pace in the middle (it's 5 trades plus a little one-shot trade) and ends well. The first two trades are more establishing the characters and world, but once that is set it takes off. If you were enjoying it at all you might want to give it another shot.

I've talked Thieves & Kings thing up since forever on the internet, usually posting scans and links and such, but either I'm describing it shittily or the premise isn't an immediate hook and you have to read the book to really "get" it - 'cause I almost never see anyone expressing interest. I do know that every single person I've lent copies to or otherwise convinced to read it has become a believer.

Anyway, I agree with the assessment: better than Bone. Maybe that's the confrontational tactic to take when promoting it. Blow peoples' minds a bit first.

Great to see someone discovering the book, whatever the case.

Brent Yellow Thunder

I've always been meaning to look into this title but never have. I'll have to amend that.

I saw that at the comic shop I went to years ago and I saw the first few issues and I thought it looked like an interesting read. I bought a few issues of Akira instead.
    I'll probably start reading Thieves and Kings after Y and Strangers in Paradise are done.

thanks for posting links, pics and info online guys. that really gets people like me into a book i've never heard of

for the lazy:

http://www.glasswings.com.au/comics/t+k/

this is a fun book. i've only read the first 6 issues or so, but i have the trades and i'm going to read them all the way through soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Howdeshell View Post
    for the lazy:

http://www.glasswings.com.au/comics/t+k/

this is a fun book. i've only read the first 6 issues or so, but i have the trades and i'm going to read them all the way through soon.
    thanks!