BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlestar Galactica Backlash Thread.

Hard Boiled Natty P, Scientific Adventurer's Avatar

Battlestar Galactica Backlash Thread.

Bleh. It's good, but it's not the best show on television. Not even close. It abandons plot lines, never kills any major characters (which is excusable in certain shows, but inexcusable in a war drama where the major players are warriors. Tonight's episode for instance wasted a good opportunity to kill somebody.)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show quite a bit, but I'm tired of the superlative praise.

Am I alone?

Made

Re: Battlestar Galactica Backlash Thread.

I think Adama's wife was the civilian auditor from Shield season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew j View Post
    I think Adama's wife was the civilian auditor from Shield season 2.
    Good call. Was that really season 2?

(The Shield is another show that I like that I also resent the superlative praise.)

What about Billy? He was pretty major.

When it kicked off...surprisingly good. So, so much better than it had to be, and occasionally truly exceptional. Even at its peak, though, probably not the best show on TV (that'd be The Shield), and certainly not now.

In fact, I've become a "trade-waiter" on Galactica. If word's still good come the DVD set, I'll pick it up, but I really got thrown off by the meandering Cyclon backstory and how the Cyclons went from scary to bickering lamers. I don't want to be a hater. I want the show to succeed, 'cause I still like a lot of the characters and the general tone and...well, a lot of it. It just no longer feels "must-see."

Funny thing: I think the series peaked with its first episode, "33." That episode knocked me on my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
    What about Billy? He was pretty major.
    He was more of a sacrificial lamb. He was fairly major, but not major. When you don't kill characters then it takes away from the sense of danger. It's not my only criticism of the show, but it's a major one. Major, heh.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the best show on television. It delivers everything I want in a television drama.

Is it perfect? Of course not.
    Are there weak episodes? Sure. Last week's episode was particularly weak, and I'm not shy about saying so.

But on the whole, I enjoy it a heck of a lot more than any other drama on television, and I've sampled The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Lost, Studio 60, Veronica Mars, and the other "big" dramas.

What works for me may not work as well for others. For example, I don't mind that they haven't killed off "major" characters. I think killing off major characters can be a bold move, but if its overused, you dilute the show with needless cast changes that only end up weakening the show. I've seen that happen with too many shows I've loved in the past.

I don't think it's superlative praise. I've been vocal about praising the show as the best show on television because it delivers everything I want from a television drama in a compelling way. To me, it's the best show on television. For others, maybe "the best show on television" would be The Shield or Studio 60 or Veronica Mars or Deadwood or The Sopranos or The Wire.

It's not without its flaws. But when it's good, it's incredibly good. And when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

And tonight's episode was very good, by the way. Not the best episode ever, but definitely above average.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_F View Post
    When it kicked off...surprisingly good. So, so much better than it had to be, and occasionally truly exceptional. Even at its peak, though, probably not the best show on TV (that'd be The Shield), and certainly not now.

In fact, I've become a "trade-waiter" on Galactica. If word's still good come the DVD set, I'll pick it up, but I really got thrown off by the meandering Cyclon backstory and how the Cyclons went from scary to bickering lamers. I don't want to be a hater. I want the show to succeed, 'cause I still like a lot of the characters and the general tone and...well, a lot of it. It just no longer feels "must-see."

Funny thing: I think the series peaked with its first episode, "33." That episode knocked me on my ass.
    I...think I love you.

Ron Moore's been saying that one of the main characters will be dying soon (i.e. someone who has their name in the opening credits, not one of the "also starring" crowd.) So keep watching and you'll get your wish.
    You fuckers think just because a guy reads comics he can't start some shit?
    My LJ MySpace?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    The Candy Man wants his fucking money.

Made

My only problem with people telling me it's the best show on television is that I have trouble not basing my opinion on that. I judge it by a higher standard and most of the time I'm disappointed. I was lucky with both BSG and the Shield in that I found both of them on my own (shield with the first ep and BSG as a random buy not knowing even the premise).