PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to just delete individual songs from an iPod mini?

Afny
01-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I cannot figure this out, or find information on it anywhere. I suck at macs.

GelfXIII
01-09-2007, 11:24 AM
I've never had a mini, but with most iPods you have to do your file management through a desktop computer with iTunes. You usually load by making a songlist, and if you want to delete individual songs aor add, you do it throught the list.

Ryudo
01-09-2007, 11:25 AM
If you don't want them to sync to your iPod, uncheck it in your library.

But you have to use a computer. If you're talking the iPod itself, you're effing hosed.

Jim T.
01-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I just got an iPod shuffle. I'm fairly sure that when it's connected to my PC and I have iTunes opened, I can click on the iPod and it will list out the music on the iPod. I'm pretty sure that that I could then delete individual songs (although I haven't actually tried).

Ryudo
01-09-2007, 11:35 AM
I just got an iPod shuffle. I'm fairly sure that when it's connected to my PC and I have iTunes opened, I can click on the iPod and it will list out the music on the iPod.

Yes.

I'm pretty sure that that I could then delete individual songs (although I haven't actually tried).

You can remove them from your iPod but not your actual iTunes library. All deleting has to be done from the "Music" (version 7+) or "Library" portion of iTunes. Dragging and dropping always works.

Afny
01-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Hmm, well, yeah, I meant on iTunes, but even then, I cant seem to delete songs. When I open the iPod directory, there are two folders (Music and Podcasts), and say I just wanted to delete the podcasts and add new ones. Well, all the text on the screen with the podcasts is greyed out (signifying I cant drag them onto my desktop) obviously to prevent music sharing. But it also doesn't let me SELECT anything.

Ryudo
01-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Hmm, well, yeah, I meant on iTunes, but even then, I cant seem to delete songs. When I open the iPod directory, there are two folders (Music and Podcasts), and say I just wanted to delete the podcasts and add new ones. Well, all the text on the screen with the podcasts is greyed out (signifying I cant drag them onto my desktop) obviously to prevent music sharing. But it also doesn't let me SELECT anything.

It has to take place in the main library.

Anything you want off the iPod HAS to be unchecked in your library. Songs, podcasts, whatever.

Although if you have your settings on correctly, you should be able to just update your podcasts, and as a new one is downloaded the old one should be deleted.

GelfXIII
01-09-2007, 12:03 PM
You can manually manage the songs in your ipod (by checking the "Manually manage songs" box) but then you have to tell it what to sync off your librabry.
It will un-grey the list of songs though.

Afny
01-09-2007, 12:05 PM
It has to take place in the main library.

Anything you want off the iPod HAS to be unchecked in your library. Songs, podcasts, whatever.

Although if you have your settings on correctly, you should be able to just update your podcasts, and as a new one is downloaded the old one should be deleted.

I had it doing that, but every time it would sync podcasts, it would erase all my music.

Okay, I unchecked the podcasts in the podcast library, but they're still greyed out on the ipod screen.

Jef UK
01-09-2007, 12:06 PM
You can manually manage the songs in your ipod (by checking the "Manually manage songs" box) but then you have to tell it what to sync off your librabry.
It will un-grey the list of songs though.

You don't have to do that either. In the main Itunes Library, simply right click on the song or podcast in question, then delete. You'll then be asked if you want to just delete it from your library or from your hard drive. Or you can just uncheck it as Ryudo suggested.

Afny
01-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Restarting iTunes seemed to fix it. Even though I checked manually manage my music, it didn't let me. Now it does. Thanks guys.

Ryudo
01-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah, Jef got it too, and I forgot about it because I don't do it, when your iPod is synced and it gives you the "iPod status screen" on version 7+, you can check the "manually manage songs and playlists" box, and take care of things yourself.

I find it much easier, personally, to do it through iTunes. But to each their own.