PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica Pre-Season 3 Questions (Spoilers)...

yeamon
01-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Just finished Season 2. And I have a couple questions...

1) After two seasons of waiting for an explanation, I still don't know how the Number Six model, who exists only in the mind of Gaius, made herself known to the folks on the CIC of Galactica in Season One (when she accused Balthar of treason). Anyone have an explanation for this?

2) So, we have a half-breed kid among the population of New Caprica whose blood can cure cancer. Yet Starbuck's husband is suffering from pneumonia and the Doctor "has been out of antibiotics for months"? Are you frakkin' kiddin' me? Would the doctor not feel compelled to store a supply of Hera's blood, if for nothing else than to make his job much easier? Would Roslin not feel a little guilty watching others get sick or die around her, knowing she was cured by the "magic snake oil machine" sleeping comfortably in the crib at the back of her classroom?

Other than that, I love this series and have an unhealthy crush on Boomer.

Thudpucker
01-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't remember much about #1 but as far as question #2 I believe it's because the doctor does not want to harvest a baby as a medical resource. Baltar may have convinced him to do it the once (or went around him, don't remember which) but I doubt he is the type to hook a baby up to tubes and milk it's blood.

yeamon
01-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't remember much about #1 but as far as question #2 I believe it's because the doctor does not want to harvest a baby as a medical resource. Baltar may have convinced him to do it the once (or went around him, don't remember which) but I doubt he is the type to hook a baby up to tubes and milk it's blood.

Can he just hook up the half that is Cylon?

charlie
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
With regards to #1, real models of Six exist, and I assume she got on board the way other Cylons did that season -- they were hiding amongst the fleet. The moment when Gaius realized others could see Six was one of the funniest of Season 1. Wasn't that also the episode where Gaius and Gayda were talking in adjacent bathroom stalls? Funny, funny stuff...

Have not actually watched Season 2 yet...

Ben Weldon
01-08-2007, 12:12 PM
As for 1) wasnt there a scene in that episode (set in a bathroom I think) that established that while the "solid" Six showing up coincided with "Head Six" disappearing they were not in fact the same?

xyzzy
01-08-2007, 12:15 PM

1) After two seasons of waiting for an explanation, I still don't know how the Number Six model, who exists only in the mind of Gaius, made herself known to the folks on the CIC of Galactica in Season One (when she accused Balthar of treason). Anyone have an explanation for this?

That was a real life six model. Not the same thing as what's going on in his head.

2) So, we have a half-breed kid among the population of New Caprica whose blood can cure cancer. Yet Starbuck's husband is suffering from pneumonia and the Doctor "has been out of antibiotics for months"? Are you frakkin' kiddin' me? Would the doctor not feel compelled to store a supply of Hera's blood, if for nothing else than to make his job much easier? Would Roslin not feel a little guilty watching others get sick or die around her, knowing she was cured by the "magic snake oil machine" sleeping comfortably in the crib at the back of her classroom?.

Since the baby's mere existence is a Priority One super-confidential secret, I can't see how they could do that even assuming that it would work.

yeamon
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
With regards to #1, real models of Six exist, and I assume she got on board the way other Cylons did that season -- they were hiding amongst the fleet. The moment when Gaius realized others could see Six was one of the funniest of Season 1. Wasn't that also the episode where Gaius and Gayda were talking in adjacent bathroom stalls? Funny, funny stuff...

Have not actually watched Season 2 yet...

I dunno, that seems real thin to me. When you watch Season 2 they actually do more to confirm that the imaginary Number Six exists only in his mind, until she is dowloaded, resurrected, and returned to Caprica. So it would seem impossible for the imaginary Number Six to threaten Gaius and suddenly disappear, and another completely different Number Six appear on the deck, all within the span of seconds.

It only frustrates me to the point that the relationship between Gaius and the imaginary Number Six was my favorite part of Season One, and when they actually bothered to revisit these characters in Season Two, the whole story got messy (I can handle complicated, but I won't tolerate mess).

DrMachine
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM

2) So, we have a half-breed kid among the population of New Caprica whose blood can cure cancer. Yet Starbuck's husband is suffering from pneumonia and the Doctor "has been out of antibiotics for months"? Are you frakkin' kiddin' me? Would the doctor not feel compelled to store a supply of Hera's blood, if for nothing else than to make his job much easier? Would Roslin not feel a little guilty watching others get sick or die around her, knowing she was cured by the "magic snake oil machine" sleeping comfortably in the crib at the back of her classroom?

Other than that, I love this series and have an unhealthy crush on Boomer.

1. that was a "real" one

2. curing cancer and curing pneumonia aren't the same thing...not even close to the same thing

xyzzy
01-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I dunno, that seems real thin to me. When you watch Season 2 they actually do more to confirm that the imaginary Number Six exists only in his mind, until she is dowloaded, resurrected, and returned to Caprica. So it would seem impossible for the imaginary Number Six to threaten Gaius and suddenly disappear, and another completely different Number Six appear on the deck, all within the span of seconds.

I don't understand what you think happened. The imaginary six didn't get downloaded anywhere. Gina, Caprica Six, the one who accused him on the bridge and the one in his head are all different characters.

yeamon
01-08-2007, 12:21 PM
2. curing cancer and curing pneumonia aren't the same thing...not even close to the same thing

So an "antigen" is not just an "antigen"? (Disclaimer: I don't know what an antigen is).

yeamon
01-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't understand what you think happened. The imaginary six didn't get downloaded anywhere.

Sorry I'll try to explain. Imaginary Six represents the Six Gaius knew on Caprica, who went kaboom with a nuke. So she was the one downloaded and resurrected. She is the one who loves Gaius.

We are led to believe the Six on the Galactica shares the same consciousness as Imaginary Six, when she accuses Gaius of treason. But we know that Cylons don't share the same consciousness, right? Especially, they would not share consciousness with an imaginary cylon.

charlie
01-08-2007, 12:26 PM

This can't be the case, as Six was seen on Caprica at (presumably) the same time, while Helo was stranded there. Of course, I haven't seen Season 2 yet (still have the 2-part finale of Season 1 to watch, actually...)

xyzzy
01-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Sorry I'll try to explain. Imaginary Six represents the Six Gaius knew on Caprica, who went kaboom with a nuke. So she was the one downloaded and resurrected. She is the one who loves Gaius.

We are led to believe the Six on the Galactica shares the same consciousness as Imaginary Six, when she accuses Gaius of treason. But we know that Cylons don't share the same consciousness, right? Especially, they would not share consciousness with an imaginary cylon.

That's what Gaius thought, initially, but if you've seen season 2, you know that's not the case. The Six in his head and Caprica six are not the same entity.

Further, the one who accuses Gaius of treason isn't either one of them. I don't know why you'd think that.

Thudpucker
01-08-2007, 12:45 PM
We don't know what the Six in Gaius' head is. It may be a figment of his imagiation, he may be a split personality. It may be a projection from an outside source into his mind, or a program implanted into his brain. Or maybe Gaius himself is a cylon and he recieving transmissions. We don' t know.

It is not, however, the same Six that Gaius knew on Caprica. That one was killed and resurrected, you will see more of her in season 3.

yeamon
01-08-2007, 12:50 PM
That's what Gaius thought, initially, but if you've seen season 2, you know that's not the case. The Six in his head and Caprica six are not the same entity.

Well then I've clearly missed something in Season 2. What about the scene where Gaius and Imaginary Six are in their imaginary beach house and she is explaining how she misses sports on Caprica and always used to buy him a ticket? Isn't she describing memories she had on Caprica?

Further, the one who accuses Gaius of treason isn't either one of them. I don't know why you'd think that.

Again, I may have missed something, but the scene shows Imaginary Six threatening to blow the whistle on Gaius' treasonous acts, and then two seconds later there is Galactica Six blowing the whistle on Gaius' treasonous acts. Is this coincidence? Because the story sure made it seem like Imaginary Six took real-life form, or was somehow linked with Galactica Six. But in Season 2 they make it clear the Cylons aren't linked.

I'm sure this is all clear as mud.

xyzzy
01-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Well then I've clearly missed something in Season 2. What about the scene where Gaius and Imaginary Six are in their imaginary beach house and she is explaining how she misses sports on Caprica and always used to buy him a ticket? Isn't she describing memories she had on Caprica?

She may represent herself as that person, but she's clearly not that person. Imagine if she was just a delusion. She'd be an aspect of Gaius' mind, and therefore would have access to his memories of that time. Or even if she's real, she may still have access to his brain, since she seems to live there.

Again, I may have missed something, but the scene shows Imaginary Six threatening to blow the whistle on Gaius' treasonous acts, and then two seconds later there is Galactica Six blowing the whistle on Gaius' treasonous acts. Is this coincidence? Because the story sure made it seem like Imaginary Six took real-life form, or was somehow linked with Galactica Six. But in Season 2 they make it clear the Cylons aren't linked.

Well, imaginary Six appears to be somewhat prescient, so she probably just played that.

yeamon
01-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks for your help. I guess it makes more sense if you accept the fact that Imaginary Six is a figment of Gaius' imagination that somehow has real-world clairvoyance.

Personally, I think the writers may be cheating a bit along the way.

Brewtown Andy
01-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Well, imaginary Six appears to be somewhat prescient, so she probably just played that.I like to think of Imaginary Six as the tiny devil on Baltar's shoulder.

DrMachine
01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
So an "antigen" is not just an "antigen"? (Disclaimer: I don't know what an antigen is).

An antigen is just an antigen in the same way a car is just a car.

Technically an antigen is usually a molecule (or piece of one) that illicits an immune response. This can vary from a full lipopolysaccharide to just a small piece of a protein.

yeamon
01-08-2007, 02:20 PM
An antigen is just an antigen in the same way a car is just a car.

Technically an antigen is usually a molecule (or piece of one) that illicits an immune response. This can vary from a full lipopolysaccharide to just a small piece of a protein.

I had just assumed that Hera's antigen-infused blood that somehow cured Roslin's cancer within minutes, would somehow be a cure-all. I assumed the Cylon blood was developed to resist most sickness affecting humans, as a mode of defense, and would not be restricted to just cancer.

DrMachine
01-08-2007, 02:26 PM
I had just assumed that Hera's antigen-infused blood that somehow cured Roslin's cancer within minutes, would somehow be a cure-all. I assumed the Cylon blood was developed to resist most sickness affecting humans, as a mode of defense, and would not be restricted to just cancer.

Have you seen all of season 3 yet (what has aired anyway)? I don't want to spoil anything, if you have already I'll elaborate in another post.

Different disseases are all different in their pathology and etiology. Pneumonia a condition that is more of a symptom than a disease is completely different from cancer. Cancer originates within the individual cells, with the activaiton or destruction of certain genes or metabolic pathways. I say that in a general way because again, all cancers are themselves different from one another. Something in the cylon blood worked to repair whatever defect was causing Roslin's particular cancer.

One of the many reasons I love Battlestar GAlactica is because the writers are aware of these things. They ground the series in science fact, rather than just use push button star trek science.