PDA

View Full Version : Israel denies report it plans to use nukes against Iran

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
01-07-2007, 12:30 PM
from www.cnn.com

LONDON, England (AP) -- A British newspaper reported Sunday that Israel has drafted plans to strike as many as three targets in Iran with low-yield nuclear weapons, aiming to halt Tehran's uranium enrichment program. The Israeli Foreign Ministry denied the report.

Citing multiple unidentified Israeli military sources, The Sunday Times said the proposals involved using so-called "bunker-buster" nuclear weapons to attack nuclear facilities at three sites south of the Iranian capital.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's office said it would not respond to the claim. "We don't respond to publications in the Sunday Times," said Miri Eisin, Olmert's spokeswoman.

Israeli Minister of Strategic Threats Avigdor Lieberman also declined to comment on the report.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev denied the report and said that "the focus of the Israeli activity today is to give full support to diplomatic actions" and the implementation of a U.N. Security Council resolution imposing sanctions on Iran for refusing to halt enrichment.

The United States and its allies accuse Tehran of secretly trying to produce atomic weapons, but Iran claims its nuclear program is solely for peaceful purposes, including generating electricity.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has condemned the U.N. resolution as invalid and illegal.

Though Olmert has not explicitly ruled out a military strike against Iran's nuclear program, he has repeatedly said the issue should be dealt with diplomatically.

Because an Iranian nuclear bomb would affect the entire world, Olmert has said, the problem must be solved by the international community.

The Sunday Times reported that Mossad, the Israeli spy agency, believes Iran could produce enough enriched uranium to build nuclear weapons within two years. It also reported the top three targets for the Israelis were Natanz, where thousands of centrifuges are being installed, a heavy water reactor at Arak and a uranium conversion facility near Isfahan.

Israeli pilots, the newspaper reported, have made flights to the British colony of Gibraltar to train for the 2,000-mile round trip to the Iranian targets.

The Israeli army declined to comment when asked by The Associated Press on Sunday whether the Israeli air force was training for an attack against Iranian nuclear facilities.

"I refuse to believe that anyone here would consider using nuclear weapons against Iran," Reuven Pedatzur, a prominent defense analyst and columnist for the daily Haaretz, told the AP. "It is possible that this was a leak done on purpose, as deterrence, to say 'someone better hold us back, before we do something crazy."'

Ephraim Kam, a strategic expert at Tel Aviv University's Institute for National Strategic Studies and a former senior army intelligence officer, also dismissed the report.

"No reliable source would ever speak about this, certainly not to the Sunday Times," Kam said.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Of course they're going to deny it now. What else can they do?

And they're not "nukes" per se, they're tactical bunker-busters, which sadly, may be the only way to keep Iran from building real nukes.

Taxman
01-07-2007, 12:48 PM

And they're not "nukes" per se, they're tactical bunker-busters, which sadly, may be the only way to keep Iran from building real nukes.If it uses some sort of nuclear reaction and hasn't been used in warfare in 60 years, it is a "nuke".

Artie Pink
01-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Can't happen soon enough!

Brad N.
01-07-2007, 01:09 PM

And they're not "nukes" per se, they're tactical bunker-busters, which sadly, may be the only way to keep Iran from building real nukes.

Yeah, you can call them what you want to Ray. Like our military renaming shit smart bombs and tactical bunker busters or whatever buzzword sounds less scary this week. The fact is they are still nukes.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah, you can call them what you want to Ray. Like our military renaming shit smart bombs and tactical bunker busters or whatever buzzword sounds less scary this week. The fact is they are still nukes.

True, but I think they should be referring to them as "tactical nukes". This heading gives the visual of turning Tehran into Hiroshima, and that's not what's happening here. These tactical nukes are nowhere near as powerful as those kind of nukes, and they may be the only way to create localized massive destruction that takes out weapons labs deep below ground.

Mr. E!
01-07-2007, 01:12 PM
True, but I think they should be referring to them as "tactical nukes". This heading gives the visual of turning Tehran into Hiroshima, and that's not what's happening here. These tactical nukes are nowhere near as powerful as those kind of nukes, and they may be the only way to create localized massive destruction that takes out weapons labs deep below ground.

A nuke is a nuke is a nuke.

The Craig
01-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I read the original newspaper report and it was as creaky as Jack Sparrow's boat at the start of the first Pirates of the Caribbean, with so little sourcing and actual, you know, fact, that it's not much more than an attention grabbing headline.

I'm as much against a strike on Iran as anyone, but it would be stupid for Israel not to have a piece of paper in a drawer somewhere with a plan for this scenario on it.

OMAC

WillieLee
01-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I've always loved the term 'tactical nuke'.

WinterRose
01-07-2007, 01:56 PM
I suppose you could call em Surgical Nukes, but that's not as sexy is it?

Amos Moses
01-07-2007, 02:21 PM

That reminds me of a quote in Deus Ex.

"UNATCO calls it "stopping force"."
"Yeah they're good at coming up with names". (Refering to killing power of a firearm)

Anywho, how come Evangelical Christians aren't going batshit insane about things like this? Doesn't this signal the Apocolypse?

the last ronin
01-07-2007, 05:03 PM
sounds about right for a terrorist state.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 05:05 PM
sounds about right for a terrorist state.

People like you are the reason Israel needs nukes.

King of Mars
01-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I find the idea of Iran having nuclear arms as scary as everyone else...but I still wonder where the justification is for the U.S. and Israel to tell other sovereign nations that they can't have them.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 05:28 PM
I find the idea of Iran having nuclear arms as scary as everyone else...but I still wonder where the justification is for the U.S. and Israel to tell other sovereign nations that they can't have them.

We're bigger/stronger, and we get to smack down lunatics who want to hurt us.

Nice? No. But it's pretty much what's gone on throughout history.

WillieLee
01-07-2007, 05:29 PM

They have no real justification.

Amos Moses
01-07-2007, 05:52 PM
People like you are the reason Israel needs nukes.

People like you are why Muslims needs nukes.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 06:02 PM
People like you are why Muslims needs nukes.

So they can kill millions of Jews? Because that's what Iran plans to do.

Amos Moses
01-07-2007, 06:04 PM
So they can kill millions of Jews? Because that's what Iran plans to do.
If you say so. It's not like there are any Jews in Iran.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 06:07 PM
If you say so. It's not like there are any Jews in Iran.

There's a few thousand. They're able to live in relative peace, as long as they don't stick their neck out too much. But I'm not willing to trust my family's safety to a guy who thinks the holocaust didn't happen.

Kirblar
01-07-2007, 06:08 PM
If Israel were to do that, they would deserve to be wiped off the map.

Iran wants a nuclear power plant to help with legitimate energy problems. The best way to keep that from turning into nukes is to help them build it and get international involvement.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 06:11 PM

Iran wants a nuclear power plant to help with legitimate energy problems. The best way to keep that from turning into nukes is to help them build it and get international involvement.

Iran has vowed to wipe Israel off the map with their "nuclear power plant to help with legitimate energy problems".

Do you also disapprove of Israel's action against the Iraqi nuclear reactor twenty years ago?

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
01-07-2007, 06:11 PM

That is just crazy talk.

;-)

Kirblar
01-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Iran has vowed to wipe Israel off the map with their "nuclear power plant to help with legitimate energy problems".

Do you also disapprove of Israel's action against the Iraqi nuclear reactor twenty years ago?
Don't actually know enough about it to comment, but they didn't use nukes.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Don't actually know enough about it to comment, but they didn't use nukes.

They didn't, but that was above ground. They didn't have to.

Again, though, these aren't the kind of nukes that level cities. That's not what's on the table, nor should it be.

Amos Moses
01-07-2007, 08:02 PM
There's a few thousand. They're able to live in relative peace, as long as they don't stick their neck out too much. But I'm not willing to trust my family's safety to a guy who thinks the holocaust didn't happen.

I'm sure Israeli Arabs have a similair experience.

NATE!
01-07-2007, 08:06 PM
It's some of the responses in threads like this that truly show how warped some of the self-styled "intellectuals" actually are on this board.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 08:07 PM
It's some of the responses in threads like this that truly show how warped some of the self-styled "intellectuals" actually are on this board.

Why do you hate Arabs? :blah:

NATE!
01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Why do you hate Arabs? :blah:

Ah. Flashback humor.

Amos Moses
01-07-2007, 08:09 PM

It's possible.

Bill?
01-07-2007, 08:09 PM
well, all silly arguments aside, I sure hope they're telling the truth and it's crap. the last thing anybody needs is for Israel to start a war with Iran (or the other way around).

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Ah. Flashback humor.

It's gotten to the point where I would be close to considering several members of the board anti-semites for their rabid rhetoric against Israel, until I remember that they're just as crazy with self-hate towards America.

NATE!
01-07-2007, 08:10 PM
I sure hope they're telling the truth and it's crap.

That's a little contradictory there.

Taxman
01-07-2007, 08:13 PM
I think we'd do well to leave Pat Robertson out of this discussion entirely.

Bill?
01-07-2007, 08:14 PM
That's a little contradictory there.

I mean I hope they're being truthful when they say they aren't planning anything like that. I hope the British newspaper has it wrong.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I think we'd do well to leave Pat Robertson out of this discussion entirely.

Link? You're not the kind of guy whose comments I discount, and I've never heard of this. But frankly, it wouldn't surprise me coming from ol' crazy Pat. :?

Taxman
01-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Link? You're not the kind of guy whose comments I discount, and I've never heard of this. But frankly, it wouldn't surprise me coming from ol' crazy Pat. :?
No, just trying to lighten things up a bit.

NATE!
01-07-2007, 08:17 PM
I mean I hope they're being truthful when they say they aren't planning anything like that. I hope the British newspaper has it wrong.

I saw the story linked from drudge at the very top, and I nearly hit the floor. Not from the impending threat of nuclear conflict, but how shit like this gets leaked if it's legit, and if it's not, how big the balls of the publisher must be to publish such tripe.

Ray G.
01-07-2007, 08:17 PM
No, just trying to lighten things up a bit.

With Robertson, you can never be too sure. :)

Amos Moses
01-07-2007, 08:21 PM
It's gotten to the point where I would be close to considering several members of the board anti-semites for their rabid rhetoric against Israel, until I remember that they're just as crazy with self-hate towards America.

Criticising Israel doesn't make you an anti-semites. That's one of the biggest things that pisses me off.

"You're critical of Israel! You must hate the Jews! Nazi! Holocaust denier! Honda owner!"

Besides, Semite doesn't always mean Jew/Israeli.

Bill?
01-07-2007, 08:22 PM
I saw the story linked from drudge at the very top, and I nearly hit the floor. Not from the impending threat of nuclear conflict, but how shit like this gets leaked if it's legit, and if it's not, how big the balls of the publisher must be to publish such tripe.

so guy on TV speculated that the story could have been put out there either to scare Israel out of doing it, or (more likely) to scare Iran into thinking they would. that all sounds a little... 'John Le Carre' to me. but who knows.

Doc Randy
01-07-2007, 08:25 PM

These things are often purposely "leaked" as a tool of diplomacy. It is sabre rattling and posturing.

King of Mars
01-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Ehh. Forget it.