PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a job sucks.

arthurloewenkamp
01-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Hertz laid off hundreds of people across their US operations friday including 100 at my building. I think the guy that works with me is getting cut but we don't know because he was gone on bereavement. If he is, I will be doing a job that three people were doing, expected to do the same work and have a pager and be on call 24/7 for the same money. That doesn't sound good to me. So I'm looking, but job sites are filled with those crappy fresh out of college get into sales fake jobs, and my mass comm degree is effectively dick. This is lame.

WillieLee
01-07-2007, 11:22 AM
What is a mass comm degree? Communicating to the masses?

Brad N.
01-07-2007, 11:24 AM
What is a mass comm degree? Communicating to the masses?

si.

WillieLee
01-07-2007, 11:26 AM
si.

Then shouldn't he start a cult or something?

Brad N.
01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Then shouldn't he start a cult or something?

It would make things easier. I for one would proudly join the cult of the Loewenkamp. I'd nail so many crazy chicks it would be awesome!

WillieLee
01-07-2007, 11:51 AM
It would make things easier. I for one would proudly join the cult of the Loewenkamp. I'd nail so many crazy chicks it would be awesome!

The problem with cults is you're going to have to nail a few fatties just to keep everyone happy.

Beep Beep!
01-07-2007, 12:08 PM
So I'm looking, but job sites are filled with those crappy fresh out of college get into sales fake jobs, and my mass comm degree is effectively dick. This is lame.
Use the employment ads in your local newspaper first.

Who are the biggest companies where you live? Go to their websites and see if they post job listings.

Look at the websites for local, county, state and federal governments, they should have jobs posted.

Network. Tell people you know that you are looking for work and ask your friends if their employers are hiring.

Can you type? And do you know Word, Excel, etc. well enough to pass a test? Because I would sign up with a few temp agencies, if I was looking for work again. That is how I got my first job here in Vegas, when we moved here.

Good luck . . . I wouldn't wish looking for work on my worst enemy.

Edit - one more thing - don't count out fields or industries that you could never imagine working in, because I never thought I'd work in the non-profit field when I graduated from college, but here I am . . .

Gunter
01-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I've got 4 more semesters until I graduate and I'm not looking forward to the job hunt.

Add to the fact that job hunting in Oklahoma sucks anyway.

Ever think about moving out of state?

arthurloewenkamp
01-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I've got 4 more semesters until I graduate and I'm not looking forward to the job hunt.

Add to the fact that job hunting in Oklahoma sucks anyway.

Ever think about moving out of state?

Not at this point, but someday. Too much family around here right now.

arthurloewenkamp
01-07-2007, 12:25 PM
The problem with cults is you're going to have to nail a few fatties just to keep everyone happy.

Nope, we keep a strict no Fatties policy in the COL.

Gunter
01-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Not at this point, but someday. Too much family around here right now.

Yeah that's what brought me back here and will keep me here for a while after I graduate too.

WillieLee
01-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Nope, we keep a strict no Fatties policy in the COL.

Fatties have more money.

arthurloewenkamp
01-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Use the employment ads in your local newspaper first.

Who are the biggest companies where you live? Go to their websites and see if they post job listings.

Look at the websites for local, county, state and federal governments, they should have jobs posted.

Network. Tell people you know that you are looking for work and ask your friends if their employers are hiring.

Can you type? And do you know Word, Excel, etc. well enough to pass a test? Because I would sign up with a few temp agencies, if I was looking for work again. That is how I got my first job here in Vegas, when we moved here.

Good luck . . . I wouldn't wish looking for work on my worst enemy.
Thanks for the tips, I started emailing friends around here today.

Beep Beep!
01-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the tips, I started emailing friends around here today.
My experience is that I will take pity on ANYONE looking for work and if I hear of something I will pass it on to people I know that are looking. I would think anyone who knows you are looking for work, will want to help you.

c. page
01-07-2007, 01:31 PM

yeah, the chop-fest initiation is kind of a bitch. but damn if the chicks don't make up for it.

my advice, on the job hunt anyways, aside from what beep beep has said (which is good advice) is to check craig's list. there's usually some interesting ones there. (keep in mind that i'm still unemployed, myself)