PDA

View Full Version : Ziff davis selling off EGM/1-up and other video game related holdings.

noble
01-07-2007, 05:39 AM
First the death of the official Playstation magazine and now this. Looks like more proof that the internet is killing print magazines.

http://www.destructoid.com/ziff-davis-is-selling-1up-egm-other-crap-29098.phtml

Ryudo
01-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Hmm... that's interesting, I wonder who will wind up buying them?

GameStop has been buying a lot of stuff lately.

Lyfeforce
01-07-2007, 05:50 AM
First the death of the official Playstation magazine and now this. Looks like more proof that the internet is killing print magazines.

http://www.destructoid.com/ziff-davis-is-selling-1up-egm-other-crap-29098.phtml

wow. first GMR, then OPM, now this.

I just hope that videogame sites don't end up restricting their services any more than they do (e.g. Gamespot and IGN's member services.)

Shawn_Kehoe
01-07-2007, 05:56 AM
I just hope that videogame sites don't end up restricting their services any more than they do (e.g. Gamespot and IGN's member services.)

I doubt it. When Gamespot first added premium content a few years ago, it was much more restrictive to non-paying customers, including archived articles. After a few months, they eased up on that model. There is a "sweet spot" of premium content that the regular users will accept, but if they exceed that the main readership will fall off and ad revenue with it.

Shawn

BGPu
01-07-2007, 07:37 AM
They used to be based in the Chicago suburbs and I always thought it would be cool to land a job at one of the magazines in some position.

Then Ziff Davis moved them out to San Francisco and pretty much killed that idea.

BenH
01-08-2007, 05:36 AM
I like EGM, I hope it sticks around. My understanding was that it was the best-selling videogame magazine. Not sure if that's true though...

Garth
01-08-2007, 05:38 AM
They would be crazy to cancel EGM right now, immediately after transferring all OPM subscribers to EGM subscribers.