PDA

View Full Version : Nobody Recognises Me

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
01-06-2007, 05:17 PM
As I said in a thread I started last week, I shaved my head completely bald and shaped my beard into a goatee so that I could attend a friend of mine's New Year's Ever Costume Party as Stone Cold Steve Austin. I intended for it to be a one night thing, and that I'd grow my heir out and shave off the beard after it. However, at the party, the hair and the goatee got over to the extent that people told me I should stick with it. One of the main reasons they liked it was because the look wasn't something they expected of me. When I got home, I examined myself in the mirror and decided that I liked it as well, and decided that the look was hear to stay until at least next Autumn.

However, it was a few days later that the fun began.

I was standing at the bus stop across the street from my local swimming bath after having gone their with a female friend of mine, and one of my other friends, either Steve or Dave (they're identical twins, and I'm still not good at telling them apart) cameand stood at the stop with me. Now, I'm a pretty shy guy, so I decided I'd wait until he noticed me before I spoke to him.

I waited. And I waited. And I waited. Nothing. Finally, he makes eye contact with me. I expected his face to show some signs of recognition. Only there was nothing. He just looked away quickly like he'd made eye contact with a total stranger. To say I was confused would be an understatement.

Then it hit me. He doesn't recognise me.

I was willing to write this off as a one-off, but it's happened twice more since. I saw a girl I know walking around town today, made eye contact with her, and actually smiled like I knew her this time. Absolutely nothing. Then, tonight, one of my friends who works behind the bar at my local bowling alley came up to collect mine and my friend's empty glasses twice before I actually had to tell her it was me.

"Oh! Hello!" she said.

"You didn't recognise me, did you?" I asked her, already knowing the answer.

"No!" she confirmed.

I have to say, now that I've got used to it, I actually like the fact that people can't instantly place me now. It means I've succeeded in doing something outside of what people would ever think I would do, which is nice. It also, in some odd way, really feels like stepping outside of yourself. It's like, I look different, people see me differently, maybe now it's okay to actually feel and act differently.

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-06-2007, 05:18 PM
You're so unpredictable and cool! Wanna have sex?

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
01-06-2007, 05:20 PM
You're so unpredictable and cool! Wanna have sex?

Not really, I've just finished watching "Inside Deep Throat," and managed to squeeze a wank out of that film.

And that's not a witty one-liner, either. It's the truth.