PDA

View Full Version : Bendis' quote of the month from Powers

JoeE
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
"You put a bunch of immature men, many of whom were very sick as children or had absent fathers or both, and all of whom escaped into over-muscled power fantasies as a result, in charge of a publishing subgroup with no prestige and little money. Several of them have never worked anywhere else, or if they have, it was at one of the few similar companies in the same industry that behave the same way. They’re still geeks, mentally, with low self-esteem and no success with women, few of whom they actually know in person, but they’re power brokers within their little world, and there are thousands like them who desperately want to be them… and you wonder why it all ends up so twisted?" - Johanna Draper Carlson

I laughed.

BriRedfern
01-04-2007, 07:16 PM
"You put a bunch of immature men, many of whom were very sick as children or had absent fathers or both, and all of whom escaped into over-muscled power fantasies as a result, in charge of a publishing subgroup with no prestige and little money. Several of them have never worked anywhere else, or if they have, it was at one of the few similar companies in the same industry that behave the same way. They’re still geeks, mentally, with low self-esteem and no success with women, few of whom they actually know in person, but they’re power brokers within their little world, and there are thousands like them who desperately want to be them… and you wonder why it all ends up so twisted?" - Johanna Draper Carlson

I laughed.

Was that a quote about Image Comics?

Brian Reed
01-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Was that a quote about the video game industry?

Daryl Densmore
01-04-2007, 07:19 PM
I think it's about DC from the blog that was covered in Lying in the Gutters a couple months ago.

JoeE
01-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Specifically the quote was brought up in reference to DC, but she was talking about corporate superhero comics in general.

Brad N.
01-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Was that a quote about the video game industry?

Ha Ha Ha. Everyone knows that gamers totally get all the pussy...and the bling.

A.Huerta
01-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Who is she?

The Stig
01-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Ha Ha Ha. Everyone knows that gamers totally get all the pussy...and the bling.

Pussy, no. Bling... also no.

TheTravis!
01-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Who is she?

Apparently someone who DOESN'T think Bendis is the shit.

WillieLee
01-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Who is she?

Joanna Draper Carlson.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-04-2007, 07:43 PM
well, we could all stand around shaking our heads that some silly woman pointed out the obvious, or people could actually try to change it

but fuck if i know how

i've had close female friends get destroyed by this fucked up system driven by the emotionally stunted with what they think is power
shit nobody on the B Board knows about, and shit that makes me sick to my stomach

BENDIS!
01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
it was not about me, although i am sure she would gladly include me, it was about one of dc's comic events. she is an ex dc employee.

ramtower
01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Pussy, no. Bling... also no.

I believe this warrants a "quoted for truth" right about now.

BENDIS!
01-04-2007, 07:46 PM
well, we could all stand around shaking our heads that some silly woman pointed out the obvious, or people could actually try to change it

but fuck if i know how

or you could say: wow, what a wildly warped generalization of a medium and sub genre that hundreds of thousands of people love and enjoy.

WillieLee
01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
or you could say: wow, what a wildly warped generalization of a medium and sub genre that hundreds of thousands of people love and enjoy.

Where's the drama in that?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
01-04-2007, 07:49 PM

this shit's hit too close to home too many times to make me think this is just a bitter bitch airing dirty luandry

Brian Defferding
01-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Carlson is nice in person, she came up to me at Wizard World Chicago and we had a nice little chat, but it's pretty clear she's got an area of comics she likes more than the other. *shrug* Nothing wrong with that.

Even though some people here may/may not disagree with her statement on mainstream superhero comics I think she's an intelligent reviewer and has good insight.

BENDIS!
01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
this shit's hit too close to home too many times to make me think this is just a bitter bitch airing dirty luandry

no one is calling anyone names or bringing sex into it. if you said this, and i think you might have... :) i would say the same.

and too close to whose home? not my home.

TheTravis!
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM

But only if you didn't hate superheroes.

cmoney
01-04-2007, 08:10 PM
But only if you didn't hate superheroes.

The man speaks truth.

Brian Reed
01-04-2007, 08:10 PM
no one is calling anyone names or bringing sex into it. if you said this, and i think you might have... :) i would say the same.

and too close to whose home? not my home.

Look, just because you keep all your depravity to business trips and thus "away from home"...

TheTravis!
01-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Look, just because you keep all your depravity to business trips and thus "away from home"...

Bendis has a T-Shirt that says, "What happens in Brian Reed STAYS in Brian Reed".

Brad N.
01-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I guess I took that to mean something a bit different. Sorta the whole big guns, big tits thing again I guess. Although I get the why are there so few women in mainstream superhero comics vibe too but more about general sexism rather than harassment or anything. Or maybe she was talking about the time Dan Slott was lighting farts in the Marvel offices?

Brad N.
01-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Bendis has a T-Shirt that says, "What happens in Brian Reed STAYS in Brian Reed".

I have one that says "I stayed in Brian Reed and all I got was this lousy rash"

BENDIS!
01-04-2007, 08:20 PM
oh travis- i just threw up in my mouth!

come on, brian and i have to play rimbow six in an hour, you're making it very awkward.

TheTravis!
01-04-2007, 08:22 PM

come on, brian and i have to play rimbow six in an hour, you're making it very awkward.

You say "awkward", but we both know you meant "hard".

WillieLee
01-04-2007, 08:22 PM

Are videogames the means of relieving the sexual tension?

BENDIS!
01-04-2007, 08:27 PM
You say "awkward", but we both know you meant "hard".

holy shit!! i typed rimbow??

i'll be in therapy for years on that one.

Raphael J
01-04-2007, 08:33 PM

First Oeming drawing your head on some girl's pelvis, now this?

Is this the beginning of a series of events where you come out to us? Because you don't have to be afraid. We'll love you no matter what.

Brian Reed
01-04-2007, 08:39 PM

Quick! Blame the pain medication for slurring your speech!

TomBelandTSSTG
01-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I guess I took that to mean something a bit different. Sorta the whole big guns, big tits thing again I guess. Although I get the why are there so few women in mainstream superhero comics vibe too but more about general sexism rather than harassment or anything. Or maybe she was talking about the time Dan Slott was lighting farts in the Marvel offices?

Bendis DOES have some pretty big tits... but what's that got to do with comic books?

Special Agent Bachman
01-04-2007, 09:24 PM
I've learned many things from this thread. I need a cigarette and some time to myself now. :(

The Human Target
01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Odd, I feel as though I should have posted this.

Ed Brubaker
01-07-2007, 07:46 PM
You know the funniest thing about this to me? (other than Rimbow Six, at least)

I worked for DC for years, and I can only think of one or two men who were editors there who weren't well-adjusted happily-married men. I mean, they're all people, so they all have problems or issues of one type or another, but that's not exclusive to mainstream comics by any means.

XXXenophile
01-08-2007, 11:03 AM
You know the funniest thing about this to me? (other than Rimbow Six, at least)

I worked for DC for years, and I can only think of one or two men who were editors there who weren't well-adjusted happily-married men. I mean, they're all people, so they all have problems or issues of one type or another, but that's not exclusive to mainstream comics by any means.

That's true, but I don't think other jobs have had things as blatantly pointed out to us such as "Women in Refrigerators" or the other blog of recent memory(and I can't believe I'm blanking on the name).

xyzzy
01-08-2007, 11:08 AM
While that's certainly a blanket generalization, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that certain careers/fields attract certain kinds of people. Trial lawyers are a pretty argumentative, confronational bunch. To deny it would be silly.

I have to assume that there are trends amongst comic book publishers/editors/writers, as well.