PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray / HD-DVD war over?

charlie
01-04-2007, 08:58 AM
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/04/business/dvd.php

From the article:

Warner Brothers, which helped popularize the DVD more than a decade ago, plans to announce next week a single videodisc that can play films and television programs in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the rival DVD technologies.

In another wrinkle, LG Electronics, and possibly other gadget makers attending the Las Vegas conference, plan to announce new DVD players with drives for both formats; however, such players will probably be more expensive than other players at first.

Hmm.. wouldn't there be some sort of copyright violation in releasing a disc that would play both formats?

And if a disc to play both formats is released, isn't LG spinning its wheels releasing a device to play both?

WillieLee
01-04-2007, 09:04 AM
I've given this a great amount of consideration and I've come to the conclusion that I don't care at all about the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD 'war'.

Michael Blacklist
01-04-2007, 09:06 AM
From the article:

Warner Brothers, which helped popularize the DVD more than a decade ago, plans to announce next week a single videodisc that can play films and television programs in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the rival DVD technologies.

Films and television programs? Yeah, welcome to planet Mars.

BGPu
01-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Others have announced dual format players before and backed off. Have to wait & see if one actually comes to fruition.

noble
01-04-2007, 09:07 AM
I've come to the conclusion that in 5-6 years time digital distribution and download of high def movies and games will make hard copies and old distribution methods such as DVD HDDVD and Bluray obsolete.

Look at what's happening to the music stores because of ipod and downloadable tunes. They're closing up shop.

Hell the FYE in my mall just shut its doors.

So I think this next gen format war is going to be moot in about half a decade :)

noble
01-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Films and television programs? Yeah, welcome to planet Mars.

I actually have started to see tv box sets on blu-ray and HDDVD at Best buy

Sopranos was one(Course it was 129 bucks for season six on blu-ray_

Michael Blacklist
01-04-2007, 09:09 AM
I actually have started to see tv box sets on blu-ray and HDDVD at Best buy

Sopranos was one(Course it was 129 bucks for season six on blu-ray_

Just my half assed attempt at sarcasm. Why would there be a need to differentiate between tv and film?

Akira
01-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I've come to the conclusion that in 5-6 years time digital distribution and download of high def movies and games will make hard copies and old distribution methods such as DVD HDDVD and Bluray obsolete.

Look at what's happening to the music stores because of ipod and downloadable tunes. They're closing up shop.

Hell the FYE in my mall just shut its doors.

So I think this next gen format war is going to be moot in about half a decade :)

I don't know. Popular music sales (especially in the West, but really worldwide) have always been driven and kept afloat by the youth of a society, which is why I can understand why iTunes and the like are putting brick and morter stores out of business. The youth are always more willing to use new technology than the older generations. Movies, though, seem to be a much more crossgenerational pasttime. I don't doubt that digital distribution will eventually hit movies, but it's a long ways off. Besides (cue broke record) until faster and higher bandwidths are availible cheaper, most people will not want to d/l a movie that they could buy online at the same price. And until DRM issues are totally squared away and foolproof (at least to the satisfaction of the copyright owners) we wil never move to a totally digital distribution method for any medium.