PDA

View Full Version : Help me, Star Wars geeks - you're my only hope.

joespam
12-30-2006, 06:40 AM
So, there was that scene in a New Hope in the Millenium Falcon where Ben is training Luke. He (Luke) is getting zapped by a floating ball and trying to fend off its shots with his light saber with Ben encouraging.

What is that floating ball thing called? Was there a toy made of it? What was the toy called? I'm almost positive I saw one once, packaged with a crap toy light saber, but I'm having no luck tracking it down.

So I call upon you, the Bendis Board. Thanks in advance.

And, trivia: I read once upon a time that the ball was a early death star design prototype that they recycled.

Alabasterdeity
12-30-2006, 06:44 AM
Not sure...practice remote? Laser remote? I think it has remote in its name...

EDIT: Kind of an obscure reference, but the game "Dark Forces" for the PC calls it simply a "remote"

bartleby
12-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Training Droid...?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Light-Saber-Battle/dp/B00061I4CE

wholaughslast
12-30-2006, 06:47 AM
yeah, i think its Training Droid

SethInAz
12-30-2006, 06:50 AM
remote droid

KingMob
12-30-2006, 06:50 AM
http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/trainingremote/index.html

joespam
12-30-2006, 06:57 AM
Dang, you guys are good.

Many thanks to your awesomeness.

KingMob
12-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Dang, you guys are good.

Many thanks to your awesomeness.

You should listen to the scene in the NPR radio drama of episode IV where Ben pulls it out of the Falcon.

I noticed Han had a blaster, he must have a remote around here somewhere....he is poking though all of han's shit trying to find it. :lol:

joespam
12-30-2006, 07:39 AM
You should listen to the scene in the NPR radio drama of episode IV where Ben pulls it out of the Falcon.

I noticed Han had a blaster, he must have a remote around here somewhere....he is poking though all of han's shit trying to find it. :lol:Wow, it's been too many years since I've heard that radio play.

SCOURGE
12-30-2006, 09:54 AM
So, there was that scene in a New Hope in the Millenium Falcon where Ben is training Luke. He (Luke) is getting zapped by a floating ball and trying to fend off its shots with his light saber with Ben encouraging.

What is that floating ball thing called? Was there a toy made of it? What was the toy called? I'm almost positive I saw one once, packaged with a crap toy light saber, but I'm having no luck tracking it down.

So I call upon you, the Bendis Board. Thanks in advance.

And, trivia: I read once upon a time that the ball was a early death star design prototype that they recycled.

It probably was...it kind of always looked like a Death Star and a lot of people has assigned a lot of symbolism to it over the years...

Akira
12-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Was there a toy made of it? What was the toy called? I'm almost positive I saw one once, packaged with a crap toy light saber,

there was a plug-and-play tv toy that included both the remote and a saber
EDIT it was the star wars lightsaber battle game by hasbro

Mr. E!
12-30-2006, 10:19 AM
"Good against remotes is one thing, good against the living..."

Taxman
12-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Solo referred to it as a remote in that scene.

joespam
12-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Solo referred to it as a remote in that scene.
I'm good with remotes....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/joespam/bendisPix/maxim_remote.jpg

The Human Target
12-30-2006, 12:07 PM
They used to sell a version of it on a stand, that shot foam pucks at you and you were supposed to deflect them with a shit toy lightsaber.

My friends and I used to get drunk and play with one. But we'd use our cooler lightsabers.

joespam
12-30-2006, 12:59 PM
They used to sell a version of it on a stand, that shot foam pucks at you and you were supposed to deflect them with a shit toy lightsaber.

My friends and I used to get drunk and play with one. But we'd use our cooler lightsabers.By 'cooler lightsabers,' do you mean your penises? Because that's a mental image I wish I could unsee. Especially if you're making noises like the Star Wars kid.

The Human Target
12-30-2006, 01:11 PM
By 'cooler lightsabers,' do you mean your penises? Because that's a mental image I wish I could unsee. Especially if you're making noises like the Star Wars kid.

God no! Those foam pucks kinda stung if they hit you in the face.

A shot to the wang would be brutal.

stevapalooza
12-30-2006, 01:22 PM
I'd rather be hit in the throat by hundreds of those pucks than spend five seconds playing the Atari Jedi Arena game.

NickT
12-30-2006, 02:12 PM

I noticed Han had a blaster, he must have a remote around here somewhere....he is poking though all of han's shit trying to find it. :lol:
I wish the movies had a scene where Alec Guinness looted through Han's stuff :(

UltimateQuintessa
12-30-2006, 04:38 PM
"There's nothing like a good blaster at your side kid."

joespam
12-30-2006, 06:33 PM
God no! Those foam pucks kinda stung if they hit you in the face.

A shot to the wang would be brutal.
But The Foam Pucks would be a good name for a band, especially if their first single was 'wang shot.' Or if that was their lead singer's name.

You should post a picture of that foam puck shooter thing.

And say 'foam puck' ten times fast.

The Human Target
12-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Foam puck is fun to say actually.

I don't actually know where that thing got to. Last I saw it was in my friends apartment above a pet store.