PDA

View Full Version : little comic shop of horrors

Ruwan Jay
12-28-2006, 06:55 PM
since i get a fair amount of comics for free, i try to go and spend what i would typically spend in return at one the local comic shops in manhattan every few weeks. it's a way of supportin' rather than just amazonin' or bn'ing all the trades etc. plus it gives me a chance to throw some $'s at single issues that i normally wouldn't chance on readin' because of low cashflow.

anypay, went to a certain shop because i wanted to buy a sarcastic fun read as a gift...so i thought...i'll go buy Bendis's Fortune and Glory trade and also pick up a few other things for myself.

enter store. been there only once before for about a minute. looked around. figured i will ask one of the sales peeps for help:

me: hi, where can find Fortune and Glory by Bendis?
sales clerk 1, looking at me dumbfounded: what's Fortune and Glory? by who?
sales clerk 1 turns to sales clerk 2: have you heard of Fortune and Glory?
sales clerk 2 to me: what's Fortune and Glory?
me: Fortune and Glory was done by Brian Bendis. Published by Oni Press.
a sign of recognition when i finally say "Oni"...

sales clerk 2: is it a trade?
me: yeah i am looking for the trade...
sales clerk 2: it should be over in that rack by the Marvel and DC's.
me: are they in any particular order...
sales clerk 2: not sure. check it out and see if you can find it. it should be with all the indie and image stuff.
me: okay?

after eyeballing each spine for said Bendis book---twenty-five minutes later arrived. SOL---shit outta luck. stugots. couldn't find the other trades that i was looking for there, either...

went running. headed home frustrated at the shoddy service. turned on my computer. opened safari. typed bn.com...almost five minutes later...books are incoming....*sigh*

Brewtown Andy
12-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Sucks.

Ruwan Jay
12-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Sucks.

i wouldn't have been as sore about it...had there been an attempt at trying to be helpful and/or any subtle recognition of what i was looking for?

BENDIS!
12-28-2006, 07:11 PM
dude, we work together. you can have one for free. hardcover.

Ryudo
12-28-2006, 07:12 PM
You ARE in New York, right? Isn't there a shop up there worth its shit?

Ruwan Jay
12-28-2006, 07:13 PM

there are a bunch of good stores. but my thing is i do like to spread around the wealth and occasionally try new places out. one to educate myself about the different stores in the area, but also just for the sake of supporting the little guy.

Lab-Rat
12-28-2006, 07:15 PM
See...I'm severly spoiled by my store. If I ask for something...they usually know what I'm talking about and then proceed to show me exactly where in the store it is. If they don't know what I'm talking about (which is very rare) they will look it up in their computer and if they see it as being in stock they will then show me where it would be and help me find it.

Hell...when I worked in a comic shop, I would never just point someone in a general direction and leave them on their own. If I knew where the book was, I'd take them to it. If I didn't know of the book, I'd still help them look for it (as the shop I worked in didn't have a computer that kept track of stock).

That's just bizzar.

Ruwan Jay
12-28-2006, 07:15 PM
dude, we work together. you can have one for free. hardcover.

since it was a gift, i felt like i had to pay for it. if it were for myself, i would gladly have taken it gratis :) ...

however i bought Fortune & Glory before i knew the mighty BENDIS!

Ryudo
12-28-2006, 07:16 PM
there are a bunch of good stores. but my thing is i do like to spread around the wealth and occasionally try new places out. one to educate myself about the different stores in the area, but also just for the sake of supporting the little guy.

Well, now you know about one, apparently. :-?

Ruwan Jay
12-28-2006, 07:18 PM
See...I'm severly spoiled by my store. If I ask for something...they usually know what I'm talking about and then proceed to show me exactly where in the store it is. If they don't know what I'm talking about (which is very rare) they will look it up in their computer and if they see it as being in stock they will then show me where it would be and help me find it.

Hell...when I worked in a comic shop, I would never just point someone in a general direction and leave them on their own. If I knew where the book was, I'd take them to it. If I didn't know of the book, I'd still help them look for it (as the shop I worked in didn't have a computer that kept track of stock).

That's just bizzar.

d00d tell me about it. that's what i found out of step from the stores i normally go to...but live and learn...there are several stores in NYC that i still haven't been to. so i will continue to make the treks around manhattan.

bartleby
12-28-2006, 07:26 PM
since it was a gift, i felt like i had to pay for it. if it were for myself, i would gladly have taken it gratis :) ...

Can I have your free copy from Bendis then?

BENDIS!
12-28-2006, 07:26 PM

sniff!!!

and i agreed to work with you on $%^ before i knew that,

Ruwan Jay
12-28-2006, 07:31 PM
sniff!!!

don't worry i will find some way to bollocks this tender moment up as only i know how...heh.

btw, that stuff you asked is super priority #1 and will be coming in next week hopefully. :)

Shannon Chenoweth
12-28-2006, 07:32 PM
I just got this as a Christmas gift for someone. :)

Ruwan Jay
12-28-2006, 07:33 PM
I just got this as a Christmas gift for someone. :)

great minds something something

Ray G.
12-28-2006, 07:35 PM
See, I didn't even know this existed until a few days ago. I seem to be working backwards through Bendis' stuff. It sounds awesome, though, and I'm buying it as soon as I can scrape the money together.

BENDIS!
12-28-2006, 07:35 PM
don't worry i will find some way to bollocks this tender moment up as only i know how...heh.

btw, that stuff you asked is super priority #1 and will be coming in next week hopefully. :)

good. it will really help. really.

Shannon Chenoweth
12-28-2006, 07:37 PM
great minds something something

Can one great mind also help another great mind get a spiffy Marvel job? I swear, I am not too good to be the coffee/soda runner. :p

Shannon Chenoweth
12-28-2006, 07:38 PM
See, I didn't even know this existed until a few days ago. I seem to be working backwards through Bendis' stuff. It sounds awesome, though, and I'm buying it as soon as I can scrape the money together.

Seriously? Wow, that's cool though, this means you've got a good deal of great stuff to read yet.

comicbookink
12-28-2006, 07:40 PM
We've got three of the hardcover...SIGNED and LIMITED.

Give us a call...

We'll even throw in a set of crayons.

Simps
12-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Fortune and Glory was the first book I had to go and re-buy from wear and tear on my original copy. My paperback is well worn, so when I saw the really nice looking hardback, I ponied up and gave the (signed) softcover to a friend.

Ruwan Jay
12-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Can one great mind also help another great mind get a spiffy Marvel job? I swear, I am not too good to be the coffee/soda runner. :p

as if any Marvel employee ever outgrows being a coffee/soda runner...talk to Grunwald...she has more clout than i do...or certainly threatens people more than i do. heh.

Ruwan Jay
12-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Fortune and Glory was the first book I had to go and re-buy from wear and tear on my original copy. My paperback is well worn, so when I saw the really nice looking hardback, I ponied up and gave the (signed) softcover to a friend.

my Bendis and Ellis books are the most frequently borrowed-by-friends books...

bartleby
12-28-2006, 07:52 PM

as if any Marvel employee ever outgrows being a coffee/soda runner...

Even though he lives on the opposite coast from New York and it is the holidays, I can't believe Bendis is having to wait another week for his coffee/soda.

Ruwan Jay
12-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Even though he lives on the opposite coast from New York and it is the holidays, I can't believe Bendis is having to wait another week for his coffee/soda.

not everyone can run across America as fast as FOOOOOORREST!

Lord Jermaine Retail
12-29-2006, 05:39 AM
since i get a fair amount of comics for free, i try to go and spend what i would typically spend in return at one the local comic shops in manhattan every few weeks. it's a way of supportin' rather than just amazonin' or bn'ing all the trades etc. plus it gives me a chance to throw some $'s at single issues that i normally wouldn't chance on readin' because of low cashflow.

anypay, went to a certain shop because i wanted to buy a sarcastic fun read as a gift...so i thought...i'll go buy Bendis's Fortune and Glory trade and also pick up a few other things for myself.

enter store. been there only once before for about a minute. looked around. figured i will ask one of the sales peeps for help:

sales clerk 2: not sure. check it out and see if you can find it. it should be with all the indie and image stuff.

after eyeballing each spine for said Bendis book---twenty-five minutes later arrived. SOL---shit outta luck. stugots. couldn't find the other trades that i was looking for there, either...

went running. headed home frustrated at the shoddy service. turned on my computer. opened safari. typed bn.com...almost five minutes later...books are incoming....*sigh*

That wouldn't have happened at my store. Just saying. Now we might have been sold out of it but at least we would know what it was. Every now and then someone does ask for something that stumps us all, but most Bendis materials are pretty mainstream as far as I'm concerned.

We do need to hear stories of comic shops doing things right too, you know.

DAVE
12-29-2006, 05:48 AM
I have a feeling I know which NYC comic store this was.

adamgreenberger
12-29-2006, 05:52 AM
sniff!!!

If he won't take I will gladlly take it...:)

chess
12-29-2006, 05:53 AM
That wouldn't have happened at my store. Just saying. Now we might have been sold out of it but at least we would know what it was. Every now and then someone does ask for something that stumps us all, but most Bendis materials are pretty mainstream as far as I'm concerned.

On a similar note but a different product line, I went to the Disney store to buy some pajammas for my daughters for Christmas. Obviosly, they were well looked over by the time I entered the store so I asked a clerk for help. She pointed (SHE POINTED) me to the area and told me to look around through their mess.

(In my mind I said, "Fuck this! Babe, YOU WILL BE LOOKING and I will be standing beside you!) I politely said, "I am looking for this size" and stood beside her while she looked through the pile for the sizes I needed. She was dumbfounded that I refuse to be pushed around by her laziness.

I can not believe some stores and clerks. I took the time to seek out your help and spend money, the store and clerk needs to acknowledge this.

Frankly, as I have aged I have become more blunt. Some may say, I am being an ass. I really am not. Customer service is about "service". If I wanted to do it myself, I would have ordered over the internet. I pay a premium to purchase it at your shop (Disney store).

I am not rude. I am firm in what I want.

BriRedfern
12-29-2006, 05:55 AM

good. it will really help. really.

So, this is where Bendis is scoring his oxycotins....

Jen Grunwald
12-29-2006, 07:18 AM

JIM HANLEY'S UNIVERSE!!!

Best comic shop EVER!

:rogue:

Jen Grunwald
12-29-2006, 07:19 AM
sniff!!!

Yeah, I'm sure HE'S the reason you agreed to that project...

hahah ;-)

Jen Grunwald
12-29-2006, 07:20 AM

Dude, I WISH we had a coffee/soda runner...

Jen Grunwald
12-29-2006, 07:21 AM
my Bendis and Ellis books are the most frequently borrowed-by-friends books...

You...let people...TOUCH...your books??!?!!! :scared:

BronxRonin
12-29-2006, 07:26 AM
JIM HANLEY'S UNIVERSE!!!

Best comic shop EVER!

:no: I'd have to vouche for Midtown...the only cool thing about hanley's is Larry.Cosmic comics is a near second in my book.Midtown guys are very cool and helpful.Larry is the only cool guy there mostly all others are very pretentious.:scared:

Jen Grunwald
12-29-2006, 07:28 AM
:no: I'd have to vouche for Midtown...the only cool thing about hanley's is Larry.Cosmic comics is a near second in my book.Midtown guys are very cool and helpful.Larry is the only cool guy there mostly all others are very pretentious.:scared:

That's cuz you didn't go there when I used to work there!

But no, there are good peeps there, you're just crazy! :)

Simps
12-29-2006, 07:31 AM

If he's like me, then it's with a pair of latex gloves and sterilized tongs to turn the pages.

Lord Jermaine Retail
12-29-2006, 07:33 AM
JIM HANLEY'S UNIVERSE!!!

Best comic shop EVER!

Perhaps...

adamgreenberger
12-29-2006, 07:38 AM
JIM HANLEY'S UNIVERSE!!!

Best comic shop EVER!

Jen,

You are going to have to some to Acme Comics in Greensboro, NC to goto the best comic shop EVER!!

SteveFlack
12-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Oh come on, now you have to say what store it was. I'm betting it was St. Marks.

And yes, Hanley's is the best comic store in the city, but sadly, they lack a discount program, and I just can't go around throwing awat money, so I must shop at the fanboy supermarket that is Midtown Comics, which is a shame, because Hanley's has better hours.

-Steve!

BronxRonin
12-29-2006, 07:47 AM
That's cuz you didn't go there when I used to work there!

But no, there are good peeps there, you're just crazy! :)

The question is good for what?

:twisted:
I don't remember you...but i remember when you didn't add me to your friends on my space or comic space.:no:
Yeah, i'm crazy... :)

Mxy
12-29-2006, 07:59 AM

What store was this? Was it St.Marks?

DAVE
12-29-2006, 08:18 AM

THere, or Forbidden Planet are my picks.

Jen Grunwald
12-29-2006, 08:49 AM
The question is good for what?

:twisted:
I don't remember you...but i remember when you didn't add me to your friends on my space or comic space.:no:
Yeah, i'm crazy... :)

Good for kicking your ass on my say so!!

;) Yeah, I don't just add ANYONE to my myspace, ya know! But I have so far not denied ANYONE on comicspace!! What are you talking about?!

Ruwan Jay
12-29-2006, 10:26 AM

if i just stuck with the stores i normally go to...i could sing their collective praises for a long time...

in the other thread, i threw major kudos to St. Marks for totally helping me get a comic book to be used as a prop on LOST. the store might be cramped, but the people there were uber-helpful and went out of their way. and you're totally right---more stories about what lcs's do right every day for years on end need to be bullhorned.

Ruwan Jay
12-29-2006, 10:27 AM

nope---no naming of names. i like St. Marks---i have only had great experiences there.

Ruwan Jay
12-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Frankly, as I have aged I have become more blunt. Some may say, I am being an ass. I really am not. Customer service is about "service". If I wanted to do it myself, I would have ordered over the internet. I pay a premium to purchase it at your shop (Disney store).

I am not rude. I am firm in what I want.

WORD!

Ruwan Jay
12-29-2006, 10:30 AM
JIM HANLEY'S UNIVERSE!!!

Best comic shop EVER!

that is her "unbiased" opinion. lol

Ruwan Jay
12-29-2006, 10:32 AM

Jen---you don't let any of your friends borrow your books. where's the love? please tell me you don't stick those office stickers ("Return this book or I'll break your hands") on your at-home copies. lol.

UltimateFactor
12-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Supercity Comics was the best comic store ever! ::sniffle:: Rest In Peace. :cry:

Lab-Rat
12-29-2006, 11:12 AM
if i just stuck with the stores i normally go to...i could sing their collective praises for a long time...

in the other thread, i threw major kudos to St. Marks for totally helping me get a comic book to be used as a prop on LOST. the store might be cramped, but the people there were uber-helpful and went out of their way. and you're totally right---more stories about what lcs's do right every day for years on end need to be bullhorned.

I see what you did there. :D Nice plug for LOST. :p

J. Wilson
12-29-2006, 11:19 AM
This is why I like the shop I go to. Gateway Comics Etc. located in Wareham, MA.

The owner is a comic fan to begin with so he knows his product. Matter of fact he's started weeding out his back issue material so he can put in a bigger graphic novel section along with more room for the ever popular anime/manga stuff as well.

He'll order anything you want to get, so there's no worries about him not carrying a certain title or whatever other horror story you hear or read about.

The shop has been around under 3 different names and owners since I was 12 years old and is celebrating the first year in a new location. Sure it has a big card role playing contingent there but that's a small price to pay for having a top notch shop with high quality service.

Hell, on FCBD, I work for the guy. My first ever comic review got posted on the store's website, and I spend a few hours there each week.

It just rocks!

Jen Grunwald
12-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Jen---you don't let any of your friends borrow your books. where's the love? please tell me you don't stick those office stickers ("Return this book or I'll break your hands") on your at-home copies. lol.

Are you kidding! It kills me that I have to do that at work!! I yell at Jeff when he bends them too much!!!

Ruwan Jay
12-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Are you kidding! It kills me that I have to do that at work!! I yell at Jeff when he bends them too much!!!

Jeff looks very peaceful and serene. You need to come in and yell at him. :twisted:

James is wearing that CCCP jacket on your chair. Hope you don't mind! lol.

bartleby
12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Dude, I WISH we had a coffee/soda runner...

That sounds like ideal work for a lady (http://606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=97459).

Jen Grunwald
12-29-2006, 12:50 PM
That sounds like ideal work for a lady (http://606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=97459).

Grrrrr.... :mad:

bartleby
12-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Grrrrr.... :mad:

Any effect you intend the angry emoticons to have is just negated by the adorable Rogue emoticon that follows.

BronxRonin
12-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Good for kicking your ass on my say so!!

;) Yeah, I don't just add ANYONE to my myspace, ya know! But I have so far not denied ANYONE on comicspace!! What are you talking about?!

hahahahaha...ok

Schroedingers Cat
12-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Oh come on, now you have to say what store it was. I'm betting it was St. Marks.
-Steve!

That's what I was thinking too.

Only been there once but it strikes me as that type of store.

Jim

Ruwan Jay
12-29-2006, 08:08 PM
That's what I was thinking too.

Only been there once but it strikes me as that type of store.

Jim

it ain't St. Marks. i can't hate on an east village establishment...that's my 'hood!