PDA

View Full Version : The Rise And Fall of TiVO

MIKE D
12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
So I'm a long time TiVO user and supporter. Even with the market being crowded with DVRs from satellite and cable providers, I've stuck with the little tv guy and his company, but I think they've finally broken me. Apparently, the Fall Update from earlier this month includes a glitch that causes the TiVO to continually fail to recognize wireless adapters. So each time a restart is needed, followed by a forced service call to ensure continued activation. (Error 126)

Now, bad service packs are nothing new to me, but I am used to a company recognizing problems and working to correct them. But everything I'm reading on the online communities is showing a remarkable resistance on the company's part to even acknowledge a problem. I've been on hold with their second tier tech support now for over an hour. TiVO's standing in this particular market would indicate that this kind of "fuck you" stance to customers is not a solid business model. Now I'm wondering if it isn't time for a cable company provided DVR.

Anyone else having this issue?

Sean Jackson
12-27-2006, 06:48 PM
No, but then again, I've go not idea what you're talking about. I've got an original TiVo stand alone unit that's 6+ years old that I've dropped from a height of 5 feet once and never had an issue. Plus a DirecTivo unit that's at least 3 years old that's purring along fine.

Fourthman
12-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Geez, I hope not. I'm away and counting on both of my TiVo's with their wireless adapters to do their jobs. I didn't notice anything before last week. In fact, earlier this month I reset my wireless router (unintentionally) in a firmware update, and my XBOX and both TiVo's dropped off my home network. After I remembered what the settings were, I was able to get all three back online. So I know they were all working as of midmonth. Honestly, I thought this was going to be about the expense of the series three and how they got rid of lifetime memberships.

Genius J
12-27-2006, 07:16 PM
I had issues with my wireless adapter on a TiVo since day one, so I crawled under the house, ran some cable up through the floor and installed an RJ-45 jack in the wall near the TV. Problem solved.