PDA

View Full Version : I'm an Anime Virgin: Recommend me something

Masculine Todd
12-08-2006, 06:12 PM
So I never really understood Anime. I enjoyed the artstyle, but the eccentric nature of anime never appealed to my Western sensibility. However, I was over at my friends dorm last night, and he was watching Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. That movie was twenty kinds of badass.

So, now I'm interested in dipping my toe into the pool of anime. So, what should I check out? Keep in mind, I'm not big on the relationship anime or the touching, social commentary anime (so no Grave of the Fireflies or anything). I just want balls-to-the-wall action, with a good story to accompany it.

Kensington
12-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Try Hentai; it's the best! :thumb:

Brian Defferding
12-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Cowboy Bebop. You'll watch this and see where Joss Whedon gets his Firefly influence.

Space sci-fi western, hilarious characters and situations, great and fluid animation. One of my all-time favorites.

Masculine Todd
12-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Try Hentai; it's the best! :thumb:

I did once. There was a giant Lizard performing sodomy on a school girl with a sword. That was three years ago. I still see it in my nightmares.

Howlett
12-08-2006, 06:21 PM
I haven't seen much anime in the last 5 or 6 years so my recommendations are a bit more aged :lol:

Guyver: Bio Booster Armour 1-12 (episodes 1 - 6 are the best though. 7 - 12 were crap, animation wise).

Cyber City Oedo 808 (three part series. Each episode focuses on a different character. Awesome stuff).

Battle Angel Alita.

Wicked City.

Appleseed (the original. Haven't seen the newer version).

Ninja Scroll.

D. George
12-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Samurai Champloo & Cowboy Bebop - Both shows made by the same creative teams, and both are perfect mixes of music and action.

monkeyboy
12-08-2006, 06:25 PM
OH baby. You want anime and have no idea really what?!!! And you ask here? Well how old are you? Yes this matters.

james michael
12-08-2006, 06:26 PM
im not an anime fan either, and its usually very hard for me to enjoy myself (for example, i loved akira, but fell asleep through ghost in the shell), but one anime that i loved was Serial Experiments: LAIN...
its really like the matrix before the matrix came out, and its a better story than the matrix...

i think you should check it out, because its really metaphysical and trippy, without getting too confusing or boring...

Caley Tibbittz
12-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Lupin the Third rules all.

YouStayClassy
12-08-2006, 06:30 PM
My stock response to these threads is always RahXephon. It's a teenage boy in a giant mech battling the forces trying to bring about the end of the world anime, but turns EVERY SINGLE convention on its' ear. It blows Neon Genesis Evangelion away.

From my numerous pimping of this series:

RahXephon should be the template for every single anime show. Incredible story that doesn't fall apart during the last three episodes, no plot twist that entirely destroys the show's premise, and an honest to God ending that doesn't make you want to hurl the DVD remote at the TV after you finish watching it.

monkeyboy
12-08-2006, 06:35 PM
My stock response to these threads is always RahXephon. It's a teenage boy in a giant mech battling the forces trying to bring about the end of the world anime, but turns EVERY SINGLE convention on its' ear. It blows Neon Genesis Evangelion away.

From my numerous pimping of this series:

Classy are you serious? The whole show has that grungy look to it, like it was filmed with cheeseclothe over the lens. i'm sorry bra'. i just like my animation crisp and clean. Not grainy and muted in color.

Lab-Rat
12-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Check out Bleach. Good stuff there. It's currently running on Adult Swim if I'm not mistaken...but it's damn good stuff.

Like others have recomended: Cowboy Beebop and Samurai Champloo are good choices.

Skip over Guyver: The Bio Booster Armor, but go watch the new series that should be hitting stateside soon, Guyver: The Bio Boosted Armor. It's some good stuff.

Gunsmith Cats is a fun little OVA.

If you liked Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift even a little bit...go check otu the anime series they stole all their ideas from: Initial D. It's 100 times better, and is just one really adicting series (once you can get past the art style of the animation)

Anime Movie wise, check these out: Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Perfect Blue, Spriggan, Jin-Ro: the Wolf Brigade, Ninja Scroll, Fist of the North Star, and Ghost In The Shell.

That should cover the basics.

YouStayClassy
12-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Classy are you serious? The whole show has that grungy look to it, like it was filmed with cheeseclothe over the lens. i'm sorry bra'. i just like my animation crisp and clean. Not grainy and muted in color.

RahXephon, one of the most brightest and vivid animes I've ever seen? Are we talking about the same show here?

Masculine Todd
12-08-2006, 06:41 PM
OH baby. You want anime and have no idea really what?!!! And you ask here? Well how old are you? Yes this matters.

Lab-Rat
12-08-2006, 06:41 PM
RahXephon, one of the most brightest and vivid animes I've ever seen? Are we talking about the same show here?

Gotta side with Classy on this one. While I didn't care for the anime...it's colors are some of the most bright and vivid when it comes to animes.

you sure you are not confusing it with something else?

Ryan F
12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
I'll second (third?) Cowboy Bebop.

Have you seen Akira?

Miyazaki has some incredibly good fantasy stuff, though I'm not sure they fit your "all action" requirement though.

Natty P
12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Bebop, for sure.

monkeyboy
12-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Okay. He's 19. For starters let's go with
-Akira(movie)
-Trigun(series)
-Cowboy Bebop(series)
-Captain Harlock, or Herlock (movies and series, and one of my favorites)
-Robotech, Macross Saga (series)

But if you want hands down kick ass blow your mind on how much time they spent on the animation, then for ALL Robotech fans and general anime fans, seriously i can't say enough about the beauty of this movie, and yet no one knows about it, is, Macross- Do You Remeber Love? This is the original Japanese Robotech movie. It is basically the whole Macross Saga put into a two hour movie. But the animation! God damn animation is terrific!!! Especially when you find out that this flick was done in the eighties. i wouldn't say i'm a hardcore anime fan, where i know all the names of all the voice actors, yadda yadda yada. But i have been watching anime since 1980. And have been a fan ever since. And i truly think this is one of the best, for animation alone, anime films ever made. And if you love anime as an art form, then you owe it to yourself to grab a copy off of ebay, because it's not available in the US and just WATCH! i'm telling you the cel layering they did in this film is just amazing!!!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/weewinks/doyouremeberlove.jpg

monkeyboy
12-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Gotta side with Classy on this one. While I didn't care for the anime...it's colors are some of the most bright and vivid when it comes to animes.

you sure you are not confusing it with something else?

OH SHIT!!! i'm sorry Classy! Dude i'm so sorry. i got it mixed up with one of those Final Fantasy rip offs. Okay sorry everybody.:Oops:

YouStayClassy
12-08-2006, 07:00 PM
OH SHIT!!! i'm sorry Classy! Dude i'm so sorry. i got it mixed up with one of those Final Fantasy rip offs. Okay sorry everybody.:Oops:

Heh, it's cool.

I did a severe double take when you posted that, I'm all "that thing's practically an art gallery come to life!"

Phenomenal soundtrack too.

Kensington
12-08-2006, 07:02 PM
I did once. There was a giant Lizard performing sodomy on a school girl with a sword. That was three years ago. I still see it in my nightmares.Oh, Christ, did I say hentai? No, no, I meant Speed Racer. :wink:

Masculine Todd
12-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Is Hellsing any good? I enjoy the vampire genre and my friend has been raving about it.

james michael
12-08-2006, 07:06 PM
no one else likes lain?
:(

artimoff
12-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Blood: the Last Vampire

Afny
12-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Fooly Cooly/FLCL/Furi Kuri is probably my favorite anime ever. It's story is absolutely crazy, the animation is great (it's very experimental and dynamic), and has an awesome soundtrack performed by The Pillows. It's only downside is that it's six episodes long. Also, be sure to watch it in Japanese.

Ryan F
12-08-2006, 07:12 PM
no one else likes lain?
:(

I don't think it qualifies in the "non stop action" category. More cerebral. And weird.

It's not my favorite, but I see why people like it.

Also, to add. I'm a big fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion, so I guess I should recommend that as well.

YouStayClassy
12-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Is Hellsing any good? I enjoy the vampire genre and my friend has been raving about it.

Hellsing is awesome as far as pure madness and hysterical action. However, it's yet another one of those shows were they jumped the gun on making the anime while the manga had barely gotten printed, thus the ending is a total rush job and nonsensical.

Lord Jermaine Retail
12-08-2006, 07:13 PM
So I never really understood Anime. I enjoyed the artstyle, but the eccentric nature of anime never appealed to my Western sensibility. However, I was over at my friends dorm last night, and he was watching Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. That movie was twenty kinds of badass.

So, now I'm interested in dipping my toe into the pool of anime. So, what should I check out? Keep in mind, I'm not big on the relationship anime or the touching, social commentary anime (so no Grave of the Fireflies or anything). I just want balls-to-the-wall action, with a good story to accompany it.

Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust
Princess Mononoke followed by Spirited Away

Then some serial material like Big O followed by Neon Genesis Evangelion. Thank me later.

james michael
12-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I don't think it qualifies in the "non stop action" category. More cerebral. And weird.

It's not my favorite, but I see why people like it.

Also, to add. I'm a big fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion, so I guess I should recommend that as well.

oh, he wanted action stuff?

oops...

YouStayClassy
12-08-2006, 07:17 PM

And since my man G.M. Cox isn't here to say it, I'm going to recommend Gantz.

ULTRA violent and full of messed up sexual content, but damn if this isn't kick ass. It's about a bunch of kids trapped in this game where they have to kill certain people, and just goes crazy from there.

monkeyboy
12-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Hellsing is awesome as far as pure madness and hysterical action. However, it's yet another one of those shows were they jumped the gun on making the anime while the manga had barely gotten printed, thus the ending is a total rush job and nonsensical.

Yeah. PLus it was another one of those "U.S. Manga" looking movies. The animation could have been so much better. But don't but ANY of your anime here in the states. ya know Best Buy or Circuit City. If you are willing to read Subtitles, which i believe is how anime should be done, FUCK A DUBBED COPY!!! Then what you wanna do is but boxed sets from japan on ebay. i bought SEVERAL complete series on dvd for the price they charge for two discs in the U.S. For example i actaully bought a Hellsing set for a friend, complete series for under 40 bucks. Just look around on ebay on you will find some great imports. just check your DVD player first. region codes, ya know.

Bedlam66
12-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I have to take the time to plug One Piece It's Funny as hell and full of Action. However If your not willing to Watch fansubs don't bother, the American dubs/rewrites will make your Eyes Bleed. PM if you want to know where to get The fansubs from.

wh park
12-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Last Exile, Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, Gunslinger Girl, various Lupin movies, Appleseed (both versions). Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

monkeyboy
12-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I have to take the time to plug One Piece It's Funny as hell and full of Action. However If your not willing to Watch fansubs don't bother, the American dubs/rewrites will make your Eyes Bleed. PM if you want to know where to get The fansubs from.

Yeah the Americanized anime kinda blows. But i haven't gotten ahold of any fan sub editions. But i do know that Manga is great!!!

JoeE
12-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Fooly Cooly/FLCL/Furi Kuri is probably my favorite anime ever. It's story is absolutely crazy, the animation is great (it's very experimental and dynamic), and has an awesome soundtrack performed by The Pillows. It's only downside is that it's six episodes long. Also, be sure to watch it in Japanese.

The short length is an advantage. It allows for high production value throughout the entire series and the story says everything that it needs to in those six episodes.

Personally, I would just grab FLCL and watch it until the brilliance sinks in. Even the dub is way ahead of the curve when it comes to anime dubbing.

Kirblar
12-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Evangelion, Bebop, and Bleach (try to get subbed Bleach if you can, there are some.... odd casting choices with the voice in the american version)

If you watch Fullmetal Alchemist, be warned, it doesn't really pick up until about 20-25 eps in. I'm bored to tears by the first half of eps, but then its pacing and story take off and it becomes really good.

Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are must sees too.

Magnum V.I.
12-08-2006, 07:53 PM
I kinda liked X....

Lab-Rat
12-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust
Princess Mononoke followed by Spirited Away

Then some serial material like Big O followed by Neon Genesis Evangelion. Thank me later.

The 2 bolded above are 2 Animes I was trying to think of but they weren't coming to me. DEFINATLY check those out. You won't regret it.

Especially check out Big O if you like: Batman, James Bond, and Giant Robots. Also has a theme song that is both awesome and will get stuck in your head forever.

Lab-Rat
12-08-2006, 07:56 PM
I kinda liked X....

X the movie, while good...wasn't everything it could have been. It was almost disapointing. X: the Series on the other hand was pretty kick ass.

james michael
12-08-2006, 07:57 PM
oh, you cannot go wrong with princess mononoke...

beautiful animation, story, and an all star cast...

truly excellent and compelling film...

Magnum V.I.
12-08-2006, 07:58 PM
X the movie, while good...wasn't everything it could have been. It was almost disapointing. X: the Series on the other hand was pretty kick ass.

Really? I know the Movie was kind of lack luster on the characters....which is why I thought the series would rule. haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Lab-Rat
12-08-2006, 07:59 PM
This thread is gonna make me go through my entire Anime DVD collection and go on one long ass Anime Binge (which I haven't done in a long long time and my anime collection is pretty fucking huge).

Lab-Rat
12-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Really? I know the Movie was kind of lack luster on the characters....which is why I thought the series would rule. haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

My biggest gripe with the movie is that before they started production on it, there was a music video be the band that does the soundtrack for most of the movie. It was done as sort of a trailer. The animation in the music video was some of the best animation I've ever seen. Then when the movie came out...the animation was no where near the same quality...which was why it was as dissapointing.

But I still love the movie cause even with that it's pretty entertaining. The TV series is highly superior, though.

YouStayClassy
12-08-2006, 08:02 PM

Agree. The series is quite great, the movie is just another testament to how most anime movies from the series suck.

Magnum V.I.
12-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Agree. The series is quite great, the movie is just another testament to how most anime movies from the series suck.

I thought the Series came AFTER X the Movie.

YouStayClassy
12-08-2006, 08:05 PM
I thought the Series came AFTER X the Movie.

I thought that was just in America.... I could be quite wrong.

Magnum V.I.
12-08-2006, 08:06 PM
I thought that was just in America.... I could be quite wrong.

Could be, Im kind of an Anime virgin. X was the movie I actually watched from beginning to end.

Icaruss
12-08-2006, 08:10 PM
OK. Here's a riddle. Its probably already been said twenty times, and it ends with "Bebop."

Hint: It has the word "Cowboy" in it.

YouStayClassy
12-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Could be, Im kind of an Anime virgin. X was the movie I actually watched from beginning to end.

I'll have to look it up later....

Me, I'm an Anime Crackwhore.

I don't even want to think about how much money I spent on anime, but I know before my DVD purge I had over 200 DVDs.....:nonono2:

Magnum V.I.
12-08-2006, 08:12 PM

I don't even want to think about how much money I spent on anime, but I know before my DVD purge I had over 200 DVDs.....:nonono2:

Man Classy. You should open your own Video Store and DVD Store with a Back room filled with Comics.

gaspar
12-08-2006, 08:18 PM
There's a lot of great stuff in anime and a lot of crap. These are the ones I regularly suggest to my non-anime fans when they ask what's good:

Cowboy Bebop - I'll agree with damn near everyone on this one. Long enough series to tell a lot of great stories. Short enough that it's satisfying and leaves you wanting more. Excellent animation, one of the best theme songs and opening credits ever, great characters...just get it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Not for everyone. It's a little moody and Shinji is a little (or more) whiny, but it's a damn good show.

FLCL/Fooly Cooly/Furi Kuri - So incredible! I cannot recommend this one enough. As has been said, it's only 6 episodes, but you'll have to watch it multiple times to even start to catch a bit of what's going on. Great great show. I'm shocked and pleased that Cartoon Network has shown it here.

Abenobashi - Crazy show that travels through multiple genres and is just a crazy romp.

Gunslinger Girl - I can't explain much about this without it sounding crazy twisted, but pick it up if you want some insanely violent, shoot-em-up action!

Good luck!

YouStayClassy
12-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Abenobashi - Crazy show that travels through multiple genres and is just a crazy romp.

AWESOME pick!

Talk about a series where you get ultra-attached to the characters....

Patrick J
12-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Macross Plus
Vision of Escaflowne
Key the Metal Idol
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Spirited Away
Shin Seiki Evangelion
FLCL
Mezzo DSA
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Out of all those I'd give the highest recommendation to Macross Plus, Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop.

Evan the Shaggy
12-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Death note is awesome. I'm suprised at how much I'm digging it.

Hate_Prime
12-08-2006, 10:09 PM

First thing would suggest is to watch ones with subtitles rather than dubbed whenever you can. So much is lost in translation when english voice actors try to sync their dialogue; meanings are lost (sometimes changed entirely), subject matters kiddified and censored, emotions are never quite the same. I hear english dubbers are getting better and are actually taking it seriously for the past couple years, but I'm so nuts about this that I refuse to watch anything dubbed anymore. Last time I was willing to put up with anything dubbed was for the last couple seasons of Ranma 1/2. Anyway, my recoomendations.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/CowboyBebopPo.jpg

So much has been said about this already (I'm guessing. Haven't read the entire thread just about any anime fan suggests this). Hipster sci-fi noir in with old westerns sprinkled here and there. Music is as big of a star in this show as the characters (obviously it's mostly jazz). 26 episodes, 1 movie. Movie came after the series but story is set betwen episodes 23 and 24 I believe.

Here's the opening sequence just to get a feel for the series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpoitxBEjY8

Movie's opening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFQ8ftCLris

Aaaaaand I just almost made myself teary-eyed for watching those again. I'm such a pussy. I want to watch the entire series again but I'm already up to my armpits wih my other geeky interests.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/Ranma2.jpg

Ranma 1/2. People erroneously call this series romantic comedy. It's slapstick absurdist action/comedy. It only uses "romance" as a plot device; an excuse for beating each other up in hilarious ways. It also has the most lovable cast of characters ever (unless you are watching it dubbed which then you'll probably hate quite a few of them). It's lighthearted, no blood n gore, there are some nudity but it's hardly gratuitous and only, for comedy purposes (the creator is a woman after all). Seven seasons (18-20 something episodes each), 3 movies, a dozen OAVs. The series significantly drops in quality after the third season. That's when it strays from the original storylines from the manga (I read them all; great stuff).

second season opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTjJXtz7G58)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/Lupin_gang.jpg

Lupin III. Straight up action adventure. I admit I havent watched everything Lupin yet. Castle Cagliostro is where I started so I guess I'm going to have to recommend starting there. I just love the characters and I am not at all put off by the retro feel.

There's a fer more I can recommend but they're not as good as these three. You could try Mai Hime/Otome (girls fighting monsters and each other in between fits of crying), Samurai Champloo (sword fighting to hip hop music. More of a novelty. Good story though.) and Dragon Ball (No Z. Not Dragon Ball Z. Stay away from Dragon Ball Z even if you want action. It's ironic really; for an "action anime" you'll have to trudge through 6 and a half episodes of "chargin mah lazor" before fighting begins.)

If you're willing to try someything with less action, there's a lot more to recommend. I haven't been watching much action these days. I'm more into character driven drama and shit.

Special Agent Bachman
12-08-2006, 11:44 PM
I highly recommend the following:

Berzerk (just plain awesome the whole way through)

Ninja Scroll (my favorite stand-alone anime)

Cowboy Bebop (possibly the best anime series ever)

Hellsing Ultimate (the complete, true-to-the-manga remake that just came out)

Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade (gloomy futuristic war flick with wannabe Helghast soldiers)

Jef UK
12-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Akira.

Count of Cagliostro.

My Neighbor Totoro.

UltimateFactor
12-09-2006, 12:15 AM

Pass me that pipe will you? Yeah...the one with Ryoko on it? Yeah, thanks.

:rofl:

Unfortunately, I have not done a purge so I still have about 300+ Anime DVD's and growing. :scared:

Anyway, to the subject. You said Balls to the wall type anime. A few already mentioned

X The series. [The movie was..well..okay. But the series is much, much better. And the Series was done after the movie.]

RahXephon [Evangelion done RIGHT! No punk ass bitchy Shinji to fuck shit up. Hate that pissy bastard :hulk:]

Vandread
Hellsing [old and new]
Berserk
Gungrave
Trigun
Soultaker
FullMetalPanic
Full Metal Alchemist
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Scryed
Naruto
Sadimatsu The Destroyer
Getter Robo
Flame of Recca
Basilisk
Samurai 7
The Guyver [old and new]
Shura No toki
Kiddy Grade
Gantz

I'll list more later after work. The ones in bold are the most balls to the wall, but the ones in bold red really turn up the baddass factor in the vein of Vampire Hunter D more than the others.

Later!

Craig C
12-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Mobile Suit Gundam

Gundam 0082

Robotech Macross Saga and Invid invasion you could watch the Southern Cross but it's not that good. Avoid at all cost Macross 7 you'll want to claw your eyes out.

Cowboy Bebop cool characters great intro and great endsong plus it's a bonus if you like jazz or the blues

Ghost in the Shell it get's a little metaphysical at the end but still a good movie. The series is fun to watch too.

Outlaw Star

Fushigi Yugi

Big O

Jin-Roh the wolf brigade a modern day retelling of little red riding hood

Battle Angel also read the manga Battle Angel Alita you'll get a better understanding of it

Trigun

Dragon Ball is an interesting adaptation of Journey to the West

Vampire Hunter D, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Fist of the Northstar avoid, avoid, avoid the live action movie that they did of this.

Irresponsible Captain Tyler you'll laugh your ass off at the ineptitude of this crew.

MabusRex
12-09-2006, 05:15 AM
Everything I suggest has been said before, but to reiterate:

Ninja Scroll
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Ghost in the Shell
Blood, the last Vampire
Princess Mononoke
Neon Genesis Evangelion (I'm renting RahXephon now!)

Jaredan
12-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

For me the above 3 are required viewing.