PDA

View Full Version : Ireland is named 'best country'

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 02:56 PM
From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4020523.stm

Ireland is the best place to live in the world, according to a "quality of life" assessment by Economist magazine.

The country's combination of increasing wealth and traditional values gives it the conditions most likely to make its people happy, the survey found.

Ireland was followed by Switzerland, Norway and Luxembourg. All but one of the top 10 were European countries.

The USA languished in 13th, while Britain was 29th - the lowest of the pre-expansion EU nations.

'TOP TEN COUNTRIES'
1 Ireland
2 Switzerland
3 Norway
4 Luxembourg
5 Sweden
6 Australia
7 Iceland
8 Italy
9 Denmark
10 Spain

The survey was prepared for the Economist's "World in 2005" publication, with the remit: "Where will be the best place to live in 2005?"

Researchers took into account not just income, but other factors considered important to people's satisfaction and well-being.

They included health, freedom, unemployment, family life, climate, political stability and security, gender equality and family and community life.

The Economist said: "Ireland wins because it successfully combines the most desirable elements of the new, such as low unemployment and political liberties, with the preservation of certain cosy elements of the old, such as stable family and community life."

The magazine admits that measuring quality of life is not a straightforward thing to do, and that its findings will have their critics - "except, of course, in Ireland".

Gooooo team!
Oh, and I can think of quite a few family and friends over in Ireland that would criticize the findings.
All I'll say is that the country is in better shape than when my family and I left.

Ryan Elliott
11-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Obviously the person who wrote this was drunk on Guinness.

:cool:

Howlett
11-30-2006, 02:58 PM
HA!!! Yeah, and the next issues of All Star Batman and Planetary are going to be out before 2007 :rofl:

c. page
11-30-2006, 02:59 PM
somewhere, howlett is punching a leprechaun in a rage.

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Obviously the person who wrote this was drunk on Guinness.

:cool:

Hey! The Batman doesn't stereotype!
...right?

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:00 PM
HA!!! Yeah, and the next issues of All Star Batman and Planetary are going to be out before 2007 :rofl:

I knew I could depend on you, pal. :)

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:02 PM
somewhere, howlett is punching a leprechaun in a rage.

I punched some asshole teenager who took a swing for me because he couldn't accept the fact that I wasn't going to buy him cigarettes earlier..... does that count? :)

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:03 PM
I knew I could depend on you, pal. :)

I couldn't let you down dude. Not at all :cool:

Ryan Elliott
11-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Hey! The Batman doesn't stereotype!
...right?

Only when it's appropriately funny.

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:04 PM
I couldn't let you down dude. Not at all :cool:

You are so full of it.
And by it I mean bunnies.

Thudpucker
11-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Now that is interesting! Europe definately does seem to be the place to live if you can.

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:05 PM
You are so full of it.
And by it I mean beer.

Fixed that for you :beer:

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Now that is interesting! Europe definately does seem to be the place to live if you can.

Yup.

Unless you're a native, then it's definitely NOT the place to be :scared:

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
11-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Yup.

Aren't you in Northern Ireland? That's part of the UK, no?

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Aren't you in Northern Ireland? That's part of the UK, no?

I'm not in Northern Ireland, I'm in the very south of Ireland. In Cork.

But yes, it is.

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Yup.

Well living there, maybe. I don't know that I'll ever go back for more than my trips every few years, as the states have been really good for myself and my family.
On the other hand my Dad just opened up a branch of his company in Naas about 7 months ago and got so much help from the Irish government, monetarily, to do it. They've just entered into a partnership with Intel over there and the Irish branch is outperforming both the American and Eastern divisions by leaps and bounds. The tech boom in Ireland over the last decade has been pretty interesting to see.

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:18 PM

But yes, it is.

You are?
My Dad was born there, but I grew up down in Waterford and Tramore.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
11-30-2006, 03:19 PM

But yes, it is.

My relatives are from Cork.

We're practically countrymen.:eek:

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Well living there, maybe. I don't know that I'll ever go back for more than my trips every few years, as the states have been really good for myself and my family.
On the other hand my Dad just opened up a branch of his company in Naas about 7 months ago and got so much help from the Irish government, monetarily, to do it. They've just entered into a partnership with Intel over there and the Irish branch is outperforming both the American and Eastern divisions by leaps and bounds. The tech boom in Ireland over the last decade has been pretty interesting to see.
The tech boom has been fucking INCREDIBLE!!!

Thats about it though :lol:

I'd say, once I eventually leave, I'll probably visit every few years, but I'm not betting on it too much. I'll say this about hell..... I mean, Ireland. It's a beautiful place to visit, I'm told.

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:22 PM
You are?
My Dad was born there, but I grew up down in Waterford and Tramore.
Yup. Been living here most of my life.

Waterford seems pleasant, but very dead (at least when I've been there).

My relatives are from Cork.

We're practically countrymen.:eek:

Thats pretty cool :)

Do you know what part of Cork?

Generic Poster
11-30-2006, 03:23 PM
It is a lovely country.

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:28 PM
The tech boom has been fucking INCREDIBLE!!!

Thats about it though :lol:

I'd say, once I eventually leave, I'll probably visit every few years, but I'm not betting on it too much. I'll say this about hell..... I mean, Ireland. It's a beautiful place to visit, I'm told.

It's interesting to compare the views of my old friends and people like yourself to mine. I'd say, had we never moved, I may have the same contempt for the country that you do. But since my entire extended family is there, who I miss fucking dearly every day, and the fact that I got out before I was expected to survive on my own and support myself, any chance for me to go back is like a gift from God. My brain has a hard time connecting Ireland with any bad feelings.

Now if I were to be deported or something, though, I'm sure my attitude would be adjusted right quick.

wes
11-30-2006, 03:30 PM
I am not so sure about "best country", but we do have things prety damn good. I am out of college a little over a year now and I am earning what I consider to be a very good wage for someone just recently out of college.

So no complaints from me.

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:30 PM
It's interesting to compare the views of my old friends and people like yourself to mine. I'd say, had we never moved, I may have the same contempt for the country that you do. But since my entire extended family is there, who I miss fucking dearly every day, and the fact that I got out before I was expected to survive on my own and support myself, any chance for me to go back is like a gift from God. My brain has a hard time connecting Ireland with any bad feelings.

Now if I were to be deported or something, though, I'm sure my attitude would be adjusted right quick.

Well, you're lucky in that you have an extended family that you obviously care about. Mine? Mine can't get hit by a fleet of trucks fast enough. I'll miss my dad and my baby brother and thats probably it.

It's good that you can feel that way about the place though :D

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Yup. Been living here most of my life.

Waterford seems pleasant, but very dead (at least when I've been there).

Thats pretty cool :)

Do you know what part of Cork?

The last time I was in Waterford I was amazed by the amount of crime, violence and drugs that exists there now. It broke my heart, but it's still home I suppose.

Amos Moses
11-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Do most people speak English in Ireland or that Gaelic stuff?

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:35 PM
The last time I was in Waterford I was amazed by the amount of crime, violence and drugs that exists there now. It broke my heart, but it's still home I suppose.

honestly? Thats not just Waterford man. Things are getting VERY dangerous here in recent years :?

Limerick still holds the title though :scared:

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:35 PM

English, though Gaelic was taught in the schools I went to. Not that it did me any good, I was always awful with it.

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:36 PM

We speak English. There are a few pockets in the country that speak Irish, but the majority speak English.

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:36 PM
honestly? Thats not just Waterford man. Things are getting VERY dangerous here in recent years :?

Limerick still holds the title though :scared:

Yeah. Been reading the independent online for quite a while and there's always something along those lines being reported on around the country.

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah. Been reading the independent online for quite a while and there's always something along those lines being reported on around the country.

Yup. It's fucking frightening. Hell, I was on the back road where I'm living about 9 months ago, talking to a board member on the phone at about 2am (reception on the back road is better than anywhere else scarily enough) and when I got home, I found out there'd been a shooting at the opposite end of the road, about a 20 minute walk from where I was walking.

That wasn't fun to discover.

wes
11-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Yup. It's fucking frightening. Hell, I was on the back road where I'm living about 9 months ago, talking to a board member on the phone at about 2am (reception on the back road is better than anywhere else scarily enough) and when I got home, I found out there'd been a shooting at the opposite end of the road, about a 20 minute walk from where I was walking.

Seems to be the price of progress I am afraid. I hope with all these new Guards there putting out on the street, things will improve.

Also I reckon people who aren't benefiting from our "progress" are the ones commiting some of the crime. I think we should help people out more so we can give them better options than crime.

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:45 PM

Well on the positive side maybe we'll start to see Irish versions of gangsta rappers talking about the streets. That could be amusing.

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Seems to be the price of progress I am afraid. I hope with all these new Guards there putting out on the street, things will improve.

Also I reckon people who aren't benefiting from our "progress" are the ones commiting some of the crime. I think we should help people out more so we can give them better options than crime.

I was talking to my Uncle last week. He's 29 and lives down in Waterford and will swear up and down that 90% of the crime in Waterford can be attributed to Nigerians that were let into the country.

But he's also a terrible racist, so I dunno.

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:47 PM

With any luck, something will improve. The cops down here are bloody useless though.

I'd agree with that up to a point. It seems to be that criminals get treated better than law abiding people here recently so a lot of people are thinking "Fuck it, why bother trying to be decent". It's pretty sad.

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Well on the positive side maybe we'll start to see Irish versions of gangsta rappers talking about the streets. That could be amusing.

No. No, it unfortunately isn't amusing at all.

Oh yes, I've seen some :?

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:51 PM
I was talking to my Uncle last week. He's 29 and lives down in Waterford and will swear up and down that 90% of the crime in Waterford can be attributed to Nigerians that were let into the country.

But he's also a terrible racist, so I dunno.

I wouldn't say 90%, but there have been a lot of problems with certain groups of immigrants we've been flooded with recently.

I'm the furthest thing from a racist you'll ever find, most of my friends are foreign nationals, but there are a lot more crimes since we've been "flooded".

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't say 90%, but there have been a lot of problems with certain groups of immigrants we've been flooded with recently.

I'm the furthest thing from a racist you'll ever find, most of my friends are foreign nationals, but there are a lot more crimes since we've been "flooded".

Gotcha. Kev is kind of a bullshit artist but I knew he couldn't have been just spouting unfounded shit. Just exercising my mom's side of the family's flair for exaggeration.

Howlett
11-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Gotcha. Kev is kind of a bullshit artist but I knew he couldn't have been just spouting unfounded shit. Just exercising my mom's side of the family's flair for exaggeration.

I don't know the guy, but I'm pretty sure that he was exaggerating. Course, i don't know much about Waterford, so he could be completely telling the truth.

Pat Shatner
11-30-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't know the guy, but I'm pretty sure that he was exaggerating. Course, i don't know much about Waterford, so he could be completely telling the truth.

Isn't mindless speculation what we do best on this board anyway?

Howlett
11-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Isn't mindless speculation what we do best on this board anyway?

:neutral:.................... god dammit, you're right!!!! :o

NickT
12-01-2006, 02:18 AM
The survey was prepared for the Economist's "World in 2005" publication, with the remit: "Where will be the best place to live in 2005?"
You're last years news! ;)

Dublin seemed nice, went there last weekend. Didn't see anything, my wanderings got me to standard shops :)

Hollingsworth
12-01-2006, 02:43 AM
Thought they said they took climate into account. Isn't it cloudy like all year?

c. page
12-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Thought they said they took climate into account. Isn't it cloudy like all year?

hasn't hurt seattle from being a decent place to live...

(or so i'm told)

Hollingsworth
12-01-2006, 02:50 AM
hasn't hurt seattle from being a decent place to live...

(or so i'm told)

I was in Portland for nine years, but the 250 odd days of the year with 100% cloud cover eventually drove me nuts and I had to leave. I can deal with rain easily enough, but if it's cloudy even on the non rainy days, fuck that shit. I don't even like being in the sun much, but it's gotta be out once in a while for me. Mind you, it's pretty cloudy here right now!

Hollingsworth
12-01-2006, 02:51 AM
Interesting stats on weather in the States. You can see cloudy day counts here. Once they get over 200 days, it's not nice anymore:

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/cldy.html

Fuck, the URL is too long to fit. What the fuck? It won't load the first time for some reason, for me anyway. But if you refresh it loads fine. Weird.

c. page
12-01-2006, 02:56 AM
I was in Portland for nine years, but the 250 odd days of the year with 100% cloud cover eventually drove me nuts and I had to leave. I can deal with rain easily enough, but if it's cloudy even on the non rainy days, fuck that shit. I don't even like being in the sun much, but it's gotta be out once in a while for me. Mind you, it's pretty cloudy here right now!

honestly, i'd still be living in san diego if i could afford it. or maybe LA. someday, when i'm rich...

Hollingsworth
12-01-2006, 03:30 AM
I was happy to leave LA, mostly because of the people. Weather's better there, but the people are not really of my tribe.

;-)

Would love to visit Ireland. Been to London, Bristol, Glasgow, Belfast and Rathlin Island, but still have not hit Ireland. I think the weather would be too much for me for living there, though.

TheGibson
12-01-2006, 04:00 AM
The U.N. says it's Norway... again.

http://www.forbes.com/business/commerce/feeds/ap/2006/11/09/ap3159644.html

:scared:

Jim T.
12-01-2006, 04:51 AM
Ireland was far and away the best country I've ever visited. Great people, great sights, great food, great beer. I'm dying for my kids to get older so we can take them over.

Bill?
12-01-2006, 04:54 AM
anti-american commies! USA! USA! #1!

Brian Defferding
12-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Ireland's been known to have lots of economic liberties, which has brought them out of famine and into the modern world.

But you guys still have to get a liscence for a TV. A LISCENSE FOR A TV! W t F

wes
12-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Ireland's been known to have lots of economic liberties, which has brought them out of famine and into the modern world.

Well TV's can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Who knows what some nutter without a Licence might do to the country.

Brian Defferding
12-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Well TV's can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Who knows what some nutter without a Licence might do to the country.

:lol: Too true! The possibility with someone watching BBC without the government's knowledge...the dangerous potentials is nerve-wracking!

Btw, I once saw Inspector Gadget in Gaelic over there. It was weird. Almost as weird as watching Queen Latifah's "Living Single" dubbed in German while in Paris. :)

Howlett
12-01-2006, 06:36 AM

Dude, you've never seen the carnage of a guy joy watching a TV :cry:

I lost my best friend's dogs water bowl when some asshole with no TV license went for a joy-watch :surrend:

Brian Defferding
12-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Your best friend's dog's water bowl? The humanity!

Howlett
12-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Your best friend's dog's water bowl? The humanity!

*sniff* Yeah... it was a dark, dark day for Rex :cry:

THAT HEARTLESS BASTARD!!!! *explodes into tears*

NickT
12-01-2006, 07:02 AM
I don't know how Ireland's works, but I'm more than happy to pay for it :)

Brian Defferding
12-01-2006, 07:11 AM
*sniff* Yeah... it was a dark, dark day for Rex :cry:

THAT HEARTLESS BASTARD!!!! *explodes into tears*

R.I.P. Best friend's dog's water bowl

I hardly knew ye, but dreadfully miss ye

wes
12-01-2006, 07:13 AM
I don't know how Ireland's works, but I'm more than happy to pay for it :)

Well I am sure rainbows make everything work. It also explains why its always raining.

Howlett
12-01-2006, 07:14 AM
R.I.P. Best friend's dog's water bowl

I hardly knew ye, but dreadfully miss ye

*raises beer*

Doc Randy
12-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Ireland, eh...

I got three words for you:

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

I have never seen more late-term pregnant women boozing it up with abandon than I did during my few months in Ireland. Seriously.

I love the place, but the getting drunk while pregnant thing was kind of scary.

Howlett
12-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Ireland, eh...

I got three words for you:

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

I have never seen more late-term pregnant women boozing it up with abandon than I did during my few months in Ireland. Seriously.

I love the place, but the getting drunk while pregnant thing was kind of scary.

Dude, take it from a native, the way people get drunk here in general is scary.

Every fucking excuse under the sun is an excuse to get drink :?

That one is a bit more scary, I'll admit, but not a whole lot more in my opinion.

Brian Defferding
12-01-2006, 09:08 AM
The first time I ever got drunk was in Ireland. Had to blend in with the locals and all that.

The Doctor
12-01-2006, 09:11 AM
North and South?

Brian Defferding
12-01-2006, 09:13 AM
North and South?

I think they are referring to the Republic.

Howlett
12-01-2006, 09:14 AM
The first time I ever got drunk was in Ireland. Had to blend in with the locals and all that.

:lol:

The Doctor
12-01-2006, 09:16 AM
I think they are referring to the Republic.

Ah well. It is gorgous down there.