PDA

View Full Version : I Didn't Realize How Bad I Wanted To See Serenity,

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Till I Saw The Trailor At Hitchhikers. I Mean, I Wanted To See It, But Not As Hard As I Do Know That I've Actually Seen It. If It Does Well Could It Jumpstart The Show? I Assume That's Been Asked Before.

Wayno.

Shwicaz
05-02-2005, 05:55 AM
I feel like an asshole, but what is Serenity?

(other than an 'adult undergarment') I have heard people referencing the film, but I really have no idea what it is, as I havent' clicked on any of the threads.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Did You Ever See "Firefly" On Fox? It's That Show Turned Into A Movie.

Wayno.

Jason_BANNED
05-02-2005, 06:06 AM
Did You Ever See "Firefly" On Fox? It's That Show Turned Into A Movie.

Wayno.

Never seen it, but now you've got me curious...

http://www.deneroff.com/Images/News%2003/CuriousGeorge_bookcover.jpg

Jason

SimiBoyz
05-02-2005, 06:11 AM
From the little I understand, and someone correct me if i'm mistaken, but I believe all the cast have signed for a further 2 movies if this one does well.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Never seen it, but now you've got me curious...

http://www.deneroff.com/Images/News%2003/CuriousGeorge_bookcover.jpg

Jason

You Can Get It All In One DVD Set. Very Worth It.

Wayno.

Jonny Z
05-02-2005, 06:25 AM
From the little I understand, and someone correct me if i'm mistaken, but I believe all the cast have signed for a further 2 movies if this one does well.

yeah, TV wont happen for years, if ever. something to do with the rights for TV distribution... but a big box office will ensure more movies

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 06:28 AM
yeah, TV wont happen for years, if ever. something to do with the rights for TV distribution... but a big box office will ensure more movies

That Would Be Awesome.

Wayno.

Randomus
05-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Unless the movies suck. In which case more movies would not be so awesome.

Jonny Z
05-02-2005, 06:30 AM

bite your tongue.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 06:31 AM

Ignorance!

Wayno.

Randomus
05-02-2005, 06:33 AM
I liked Firefly and all, it's just that TV properties have a rather hit-and-miss history when it comes to silver-screen transitions.

Bill?
05-02-2005, 06:33 AM
I feel like an asshole, but what is Serenity?

(other than an 'adult undergarment') I have heard people referencing the film, but I really have no idea what it is, as I havent' clicked on any of the threads.

Its the movie being made to follow up Firefly, the Sci-FI show by the creator of Buffy and Angel.
:cool:

the show can be purchased here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AQS0F//ref=nosim/jinxworld-20) and the trailer fo the movie can be seen here (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/) .
you're on your own for the diapers.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 06:34 AM
I liked Firefly and all, it's just that TV properties have a rather hit-and-miss history when it comes to silver-screen transitions.

The Trailor Will Change Your Mind.

Wayno.

Jonny Z
05-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Its the movie being made to follow up Firefly, the Sci-FI show by the creator of Buffy and Angel.
:cool:

the show can be purchased here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AQS0F//ref=nosim/jinxworld-20) and the trailer fo the movie can be seen here (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/) .
you're on your own for the diapers.

ssshhh!!! (dont say buffy to shwicaz- now he'll never check out serenity)

Cth
I'm in the same boat.. loved the series, but thought a direct TV to movie version wouldn't work.

Surprised to see it look so well done..

Although, they pushed the Buffy angle too hard, IMO.

Randomus
I probably will check it out when I get home tonight. I don't have sound at work.

Bill?
05-02-2005, 06:43 AM
ssshhh!!! (dont say buffy to shwicaz- now he'll never check out serenity)

well, its not quite like Buffy.
I mean, for instance, its not as heavy on the pop-culture references(since it takes place in the future, there are none really).
It's quite different.

Xander Boune
05-02-2005, 06:43 AM
I'm in the same boat.. loved the series, but thought a direct TV to movie version wouldn't work.

Surprised to see it look so well done..

Although, they pushed the Buffy angle too hard, IMO.

Agree with that. Loved the show, loved the traier for the most part, but I'm sure most people will shrug when they see "from the creater of Buffy and Angel." I'd also dump those reviews they highlighted from DVD websites. They scream "failed cult hit," when they should be trying to find a completely new audience altogether.

Bill?
05-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Agree with that. Loved the show, loved the traier for the most part, but I'm sure most people will shrug when they see "from the creater of Buffy and Angel." I'd also dump those reviews they highlighted from DVD websites. They scream "failed cult hit," when they should be trying to find a completely new audience altogether.

I felt the same way. although, I didn't feel the trailer really played up the what I thought shows strengths either. it was too focused on the action. which I understand why its like that, but if i had never heard of the show, I might not be rushing out to the theater. it seems like they're torn between wanting to get new audience, and wanting to show off for Whedons existing fans.
It probably wont be the only trailer they release, though.

JABSEN
05-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Agree with that. Loved the show, loved the traier for the most part, but I'm sure most people will shrug when they see "from the creater of Buffy and Angel." I'd also dump those reviews they highlighted from DVD websites. They scream "failed cult hit," when they should be trying to find a completely new audience altogether.Agreed,I love Buffy and Angel,But I've turned a bunch of peopl unto Firefly who hated both.Whedon fans wil see it.I'mworried Buffy haters won't

SteveZegers
05-02-2005, 07:01 AM
I just watched it on Apple.com. Looks really cool.

Xander Boune
05-02-2005, 07:06 AM
I felt the same way. although, I didn't feel the trailer really played up the what I thought shows strengths either. it was too focused on the action. which I understand why its like that, but if i had never heard of the show, I might not be rushing out to the theater.

True. While I think it's neat to see space battles and River going all Tekken on people, action scenes aren't primarily what Firefly/Serenity is about. I do think they did a good job in showing exactly who Malcom is, and Wash's line at the end provides a nice example of Whedon's brand of humor. They also did a decent job in playing up the underdog going against all odds angle, which is a major theme of the show. I have my problems with the trailer, but for the most part I think it's effective. Hopefully new viewers won't write this off as just another sci-fi action-adventure.

Cth
05-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Yeah, the trailer seems to make it look like Buffy in space, when it's clearly not.

Although, it theoretically deals with River and the Reavers for the most part.. so it may not be far off..

If that's the direction he goes with it, I'd be disappointed.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Yeah, the trailer seems to make it look like Buffy in space, when it's clearly not.

How Would You Explain That, It Looking Like Buffy In Space. I've Never Seen Buffy Or Angel.

Wayno.

alexlannin
05-02-2005, 07:36 AM
Thursday :):):):):):):)

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Thursday :):):):):):):)

Ya Bastard

Wayno.

Jonny Z
How Would You Explain That, It Looking Like Buffy In Space. I've Never Seen Buffy Or Angel.

Wayno.

i see what theyre trying to say (super-powered girl kicking ass) but they also did that with her in the series... i think you guys are stretching a bit here trying to connect it with buffy. it wont be River the Reaver Slayer

Cth

Wayno.

Angry, young female able to kick lots of butt, focal point of the show/film.. charismatic supporting cast.. vampire looking badguys..

Bill?
05-02-2005, 07:41 AM
i see what theyre trying to say (super-powered girl kicking ass) but they also did that with her in the series... i think you guys are stretching a bit here trying to connect it with buffy. it wont be River the Reaver Slayer

yes, but imagine you'd never seen the show, and then you saw the trailer.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Angry, young female able to kick lots of butt, focal point of the show/film.. charismatic supporting cast.. vampire looking badguys..

Ah. I Was Kinda Worried About That. Like That Dark Angel Character, I'm Not A Fan Of That Character Type. I'm Hoping It Spreads The Focus Out On Everyone, Not Just Her.

Wayno.

Xander Boune
05-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Ah. I Was Kinda Worried About That. Like That Dark Angel Character, I'm Not A Fan Of That Character Type. I'm Hoping It Spreads The Focus Out On Everyone, Not Just Her.

Wayno.

I can't imagine the focus really being on anyone but Malcom Reynolds. Ultimately, it's his story.

Scottie
05-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Is the preacher not in this movie? I don't seem him anywhere in the trailer.

Also, I'm worried this movie isn't going to do very well. The trailer... the general consensus seems to be that Firefly fans see it and think "OMG AWESOME!!!!!!!!" but no one else does. I mean... I think it looks great, all the Whedon-worshipping types here love it, and the few friends I have that watched Firefly all thought it looked great. But everyone else I know that saw it just... didn't really have a reaction. Though my one friend liked if when Mal shot the guy at the end.

Cth
05-02-2005, 07:55 AM
I haven't really sought out much spoilers on the film, but what I did find was..

It largely dealing with resolving the mystery behind what River is and showcasing the Reavers.

I'm just hoping non-fans don't see it as a Buffy clone (as Bill says) or the Reavers are some Borg knock off..

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 07:59 AM
I haven't really sought out much spoilers on the film, but what I did find was..

It largely dealing with resolving the mystery behind what River is and showcasing the Reavers.

I'm just hoping non-fans don't see it as a Buffy clone (as Bill says) or the Reavers are some Borg knock off..

Cool.

Wayno.

Bill?
05-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Is the preacher not in this movie? I don't seem him anywhere in the trailer.

He's in there. but I dont think his part is super huge.

dougmac
05-02-2005, 11:04 AM
He's in there. but I dont think his part is super huge.
I hope they give us some answers on Shepard's past.

alexlannin
05-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Again...THURSDAYTHURSDAYTHURSDAY!:)

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Again...THURSDAYTHURSDAYTHURSDAY!:)

Yeah, Keep It Up. We'll See Who Gets Stabbed.

Wayno.

alexlannin
05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
We'll See Who Gets Stabbed.

Wayno.
This belongs in the five word thread :)

WAKKAJAWAKKA
05-02-2005, 11:08 AM
This belongs in the five word thread :)

Heh. Still, Don't Try An Change The Subject.

Wayno.