PDA

View Full Version : 360 quandry? To buy or not?

Beta_Ray_Bryan
11-15-2006, 02:55 PM
First of all, thanks Target for offering the $50 gift card and making this such a hard decision. I've got a PS2 and the XBox already. I'm thinking about going next gen. The 360 has piqued my interest to begin with. I'm a big Halo 2 player (stilll!) and Gears of War looks pretty cool. I'll more than likely throw down when Halo 3 arrives anyway.

And thanks Sony, for making the PS3 uber expensive and for the most part unavailable to me as an average non-reserving consumer who won't likely be able to get one anytime soon anyway. Idiots! :roll:

So I sit here on the fence thinking... should I pull the trigger now and get it over with? Anybody got good experiences playing Halo 2 on the 360? Any problems? I really don't have any older Xbox games so backwards compatibility isn't a problem. Plus I still have the XBox so I can still use it if I need to.

Smokinblues
11-15-2006, 02:57 PM
I would wait and see what kind of deals get offered when stores try to sell the people who miss ps3s 360s. should be some good bundle deals in the next coupla weeks.

Briomega
11-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Definitely. It's a great system and you won't be disappointed. Halo 2 is great on the 360. Graphics look sharper and it plays just as well online now. Plus they announced today they are releasing new maps in the Spring that are for 360 owners only.

Gears is also a great game, though not really groundbreaking. It's a lot of fun though and looks amazing. There's plenty of other great stuff out and coming out soon too.

Adam Geen
11-15-2006, 03:01 PM
I would wait and see what kind of deals get offered when stores try to sell the people who miss ps3s 360s. should be some good bundle deals in the next coupla weeks.

Heh we've started ours already. Well, Friday. Premium bundle with Ghost Recon, Live Arcade as well as Ridge Racer and Gears of War. 449.99 CDN. After Friday, it will be the same but 499.99. This is at Future Shop, a Canadian store.

reeechard
11-15-2006, 03:08 PM
$100 mail in rebate at Microcenter if you have one near you. I just went out today and bought mine. So that made the Premium $299 and I didn't have to get games I wouldn't play.

Brewtown Andy
11-15-2006, 03:37 PM
So, buy a 360 at Target and get a $50 gift card?

Shit, that's a pretty decent deal.

Must...

Resist...

Until...

8 must-play games...

Smokinblues
11-15-2006, 03:38 PM

Must...

Resist...

Until...

8 must-play games...

:no: I think it's just a cover. you're waiting on the wife to give you permission.

Brewtown Andy
11-15-2006, 03:39 PM
:no: I think it's just a cover. you're waiting on the wife to give you permission.She asked if there was anything I wanted for Christmas and the first thing out of my mouth was "A 360."

Briomega
11-15-2006, 03:53 PM

Must...

Resist...

Until...

8 must-play games...

Bah, what's your definition of must-play? There's at least 8 out already.

Bill!
11-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Bah, what's your definition of must-play? There's at least 8 out already.

I dont know about that. Which ones are you thinking of?

Briomega
11-15-2006, 04:04 PM

Gears of War
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Dead Rising
GRAW
CoD 2
Oblivion
Condemned
Saints Row

and that's not even counting recent stuff like this week's Smackdown vs Raw and next week's Rainbow 6 Vegas. There's plenty of other stuff, that is must-play depending on your tastes, like NBA2k7 if you are into sports.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
11-15-2006, 04:05 PM

Graw, tomb raider, the zombie mall game, gears of war, table tennis, tiger woods, madden, ncaa, elder scrolls, cod3, fear, ultimate alliance, fight night

It lacks a good fighting game as far as I know, DoA was kind of meh

But yeah, the 360 is fantastic and you can get a cheap hd-dvd player with it too.

Bill!
11-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Gears of War
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Dead Rising
GRAW
CoD 2
Oblivion
Condemned
Saints Row

and that's not even counting recent stuff like this week's Smackdown vs Raw and next week's Rainbow 6 Vegas. There's plenty of other stuff, that is must-play depending on your tastes, like NBA2k7 if you are into sports.

I don't know that I'd call very many of those must play games. Gears of War probably, but besides that, everything is certainly passable.

11-15-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't know that I'd call very many of those must play games. Gears of War probably, but besides that, everything is certainly passable.

So, are must play games called Mario, Metroid and Zelda?

Briomega
11-15-2006, 04:07 PM

Eh, if you think Dead Rising and MUA are passable, then I'm not sure how much of a gamer you are. That's why I asked him what his definition of must-play is.

Bill!
11-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Eh, if you think Dead Rising and MUA are passable, then I'm not sure how much of a gamer you are. That's why I asked him what his definition of must-play is.

Dead Rising, if made properly would be an aboslute must play, but it has some major flaws. I just don't see the others as must play.

Smokinblues
11-15-2006, 04:10 PM

yeah bill's a nintendo fanboy.

Brewtown Andy
11-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Bah, what's your definition of must-play? There's at least 8 out already.I'm at Dead Rising and Gears of War as games I want to play that are exclusive to the 360.

Smokinblues
Dead Rising, if made properly would be an aboslute must play, but it has some major flaws. I just don't see the others as must play.
despite it's "flaws," it's a shitload of fun.

Briomega

Um, okay.

Bill!

Metroid and Zelda are absolute must plays, Mario to a lesser extent, because everyone in the industry knows that first party Nintendo games are the best there is. This isn't a system bias though. There are many PS2 games that are must plays. But 360 seems to have way too many of the same type of games.

Smokinblues
11-15-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm at Dead Rising and Gears of War as games I want to play that are exclusive to the 360.
smackdown is effectively an exclusive, at least as far as next gen goes. it won't be on ps3.

Brewtown Andy
11-15-2006, 04:14 PM
smackdown is effectively an exclusive, at least as far as next gen goes. it won't be on ps3.Don't care. I like the control scheme of the Def Jam games, and to my understanding, the WWE games don't control that way.

and 2) I can't tolerate WATCHING the programming, why would I want to play it?

Smokinblues
11-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Don't care. I like the control scheme of the Def Jam games, and to my understanding, the WWE games don't control that way.

and 2) I can't tolerate WATCHING the programming, why would I want to play it?
because it's a fun game and the angles in the game are a world better than the ones on tv

11-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Anyway, Brian. I have a 360 and have been nothing but thrilled with it, so I'd recommend it. I've played some great games and there are more games on the way. Also it gave me a cost-effective avenue to playing next-gen dvd. If you don't own a hdtv or don't plan on it, I would recommend the Wii. Otherwise, I would recommend 360 over ps3 because its cheaper and as far as I can tell as good a performer (in application) as the ps3.

TheGibson
11-15-2006, 04:22 PM
A PS3 will play all your old PS2 games.

Just saying.

Briomega
11-15-2006, 04:24 PM

Just saying.

Not all of them. At least not without a patch.

Smokinblues
11-15-2006, 04:31 PM

Just saying.

not true until they fix it. about 200 or so have bugs right now

and besides, you won't be able to find one until spring.

Rod Nunley
11-15-2006, 04:35 PM
I've decided to slowly put money away for a next gen machine and once I have enough saved up I'll reevaluate the three systems and see which is the one I want. I also kind of want to see which (Blue-Ray or HDDVD) platform (if either) is going to take off. That will have an influence on what I get. Cause I'm such a movie whore.

Bill!
11-15-2006, 04:37 PM
I've decided to slowly put money away for a next gen machine and once I have enough saved up I'll reevaluate the three systems and see which is the one I want. I also kind of want to see which (Blue-Ray or HDDVD) platform (if either) is going to take off. That will have an influence on what I get. Cause I'm such a movie whore.

My money is on Blu Ray. Simply because its in the PS3. Sony seems to run the market in this way.

11-15-2006, 04:40 PM
My money is on Blu Ray. Simply because its in the PS3. Sony seems to run the market in this way.

Sony also has an horrific track record with formats.

Bill!
11-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Sony also has an horrific track record with formats.

Regardless, Playstation has become a huge home name now. It's the new Nintendo. Because of this, I feel that Blu Ray will become the dominant format.

Rod Nunley
11-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Both valid points about Blue-Ray. And it could go either way. Kind of the whole reason I want to wait and see.

Bill!
11-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Both valid points about Blue-Ray. And it could go either way. Kind of the whole reason I want to wait and see.

Yeah, but I wouldn't worry about it from that end. If theres anything the previous generation taught us, its not to use your console as a DVD player. Not sure if that has been changed, but I dont see why it would since games still load the same way. I would just buy a system to play games, nothing more.

11-15-2006, 05:06 PM

This convinced me to buy an HD-DVD player.

http://thedvdwars.com/index.cfm

Blu-Ray got so many studios to go exclusively blu under the pretext that there would be millions of them in homes by the first quarter of '07. Their supply problems of ps3 has them cheesed off, then you have the disparity of cost between a dedicated hd-dvd player and a dedicated blu-ray.

Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD couldn't be more analagous to beta vs vhs if it tried.

ClintP
11-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Buy comics instead.

JMP
11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I'd definitely recommend a buy, especially since I just read that there's talk of a Halo 3 Multiplayer Beta out over Live sometime in the Spring. That, plus all the fantastic games not only out now but coming out soon, like R6, Gears of War (which I just played a bunch of games with the board on last weekend), Alan Wake (whenever this game comes out, it's going to be fantastic), Lost Planet, etc.