PDA

View Full Version : Nice, first acts of dems? - Minimum wage and Wal Mart

Bill!
11-08-2006, 04:57 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15626611/

Brad N.
11-08-2006, 05:00 PM
YES!!! Next, let's take people's guns away and make straight men marry gays. Abortions for ALL!!!

Bill Nolan
11-08-2006, 05:04 PM
YES!!! Next, let's take people's guns away and make straight men marry gays. Abortions for ALL!!!

Pelosi is saving all that for the SECOND 100 hours... :mistrust:

- B

changingshades
11-08-2006, 05:06 PM
stop reading my dream journal ass

:mad:

Brad N.
11-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Pelosi is saving all that for the SECOND 100 hours... :mistrust:

- B

I'm sensing a new Chuck Norris-like internet urban legend fad featuring Pelosi coming down the road.

Ray G.
11-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Minimum wage hike, eh? Can't say I disapprove, but we could have had this a few months ago, if SOMEONE didn't just love the estate tax.....

But seriously, fucking Wal-Mart?

The Roman Candle
11-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Minimum wage hike, eh? Can't say I disapprove, but we could have had this a few months ago, if SOMEONE didn't just love the estate tax.....

Not saying there aren't perhaps more important issues to look at, but Wal-Mart's practices definitely bear investigation.

Brad N.
11-08-2006, 05:11 PM

Most people love the Estate Tax. Unless you're the out of touch Republicans or their ultra wealthy base.

Now, what about Wally World?

ClintP
11-08-2006, 05:11 PM
This seemed like a lame story. Walmart was not worried and it seemed like the writer was trying to make a sotry out of nothing. Walmart's name was thrown in there for no reason.

Masculine Todd
11-08-2006, 05:41 PM
In Michigan, the minimum wage was already increased to $7.05 an hour.

WinterRose
11-08-2006, 07:19 PM

Yes. Walmart. But maybe you like fronting money out of your paycheck for their 'healthcare program'.

Ryan Elliott
11-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Okay, I live in Memphis and work at a Malco Movie theater where they pay 5.15 an hour.

Will my salary be raised at all? And if so, how much.

I've got a headache, don't feel like reading the article.

SCOURGE
11-08-2006, 10:30 PM
We just passed a Minimum Wage increase here in Ohio on Tuesday...Minimum Wage goes from $5.15 to $6.85 starting Jan. 1...

Bill Nolan
11-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Will my salary be raised at all? And if so, how much.

I think they want to eventually raise it to somewhere around $7.25 an hour. But you could be the one the theater owner has to layoff to handle the 20 percent raises for everyone else, so I can't guarantee you'll be seeing that... :grope:

- B

Shwicaz
11-09-2006, 02:49 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I felt the same way, when the Bush administration wanted to tackle the steroid problem in major league baseball.

We may not always agree with what is being done, but at least they are doing something.

Shwicaz
11-09-2006, 02:52 AM
We just passed a Minimum Wage increase here in Ohio on Tuesday...Minimum Wage goes from $5.15 to $6.85 starting Jan. 1...

feel bad for you guys.

In Mass. our minium wage is $6.75 but we just passed a min. wage hike that will bring out minimum wage up to $8 an hour over the next year.

Also, The Massachusetts minimum wage rate automatically increases to 10 cents above the rate set in the Fair Labor Standards Act if the Federal minimum wage equals or becomes higher than the State minimum.

The Craig
11-09-2006, 03:06 AM

Don't forget the human-animal clone from President Bush's State of the Union. The straight men must marry the gay Man/Beast Hybrids!!

OMAC

dEnny!
11-09-2006, 03:40 AM
feel bad for you guys.

In Mass. our minium wage is $6.75 but we just passed a min. wage hike that will bring out minimum wage up to $8 an hour over the next year.

Also, The Massachusetts minimum wage rate automatically increases to 10 cents above the rate set in the Fair Labor Standards Act if the Federal minimum wage equals or becomes higher than the State minimum.

Yeah, but it is also a lot more expensive to live in Massachusetts than Ohio.

Bill Nolan
11-09-2006, 03:52 AM
Yeah, but it is also a lot more expensive to live in Massachusetts than Ohio.

Yes, but that extra $4 a week (minus state and federal income taxes) over and above what minimum wage workers in other states make will take care of that!

Seriously, tho', a fuckin' dime?!? That's smacks of meaningless bone throwing to me. Make it 50 cents or a buck, and then I will know the Mass. government is serious about it.

- B

JoeE
11-09-2006, 04:21 AM
...ugh. Back to emotion-based economics.

Well, I say bring it on. The worse they are, the more the Republicans will realize they have to get their shit straight.

Shwicaz
11-09-2006, 04:22 AM
Seriously, tho', a fuckin' dime?!? That's smacks of meaningless bone throwing to me. Make it 50 cents or a buck, and then I will know the Mass. government is serious about it.

- B

IIRC, they wanted it to be more than a dime, but the legislature was all 'you just raised the minimum wage by a buck fifty....can't you just be happy with a dime?'

it was a compromise.

Race
11-09-2006, 05:12 AM
And, of course, businesses will raise their prices to compensate for the higher payroll expenses (because not giving the CEO a 7-figure income is :crazy:), so those minimum-wage earners will be right back where they started when faced with the higher prices . . .

Shane W
11-09-2006, 05:27 AM
Yeah!!! Fuck Wal-Mart!

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/25/news/fortune500/walmart_wage/

Shane W
11-09-2006, 05:29 AM
Well,

it looks like the minimum wage hike helps Wal-Mart kill off mom and pops more than it hurts them..
(http://www.examiner.com/a-266353%7ETimothy_P__Carney__Welcome_to_Washington_ _Wal_Mart.html)

Bill!
11-09-2006, 06:26 AM
For those not able to understand, the article was about two topics basically, the minimum wage was first, and then the investigation into Wal Mart's unfair (illegal) labor practices. We need some major work in both these areas.

Rich Lozano
11-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Not saying there aren't perhaps more important issues to look at, but Wal-Mart's practices definitely bear investigation.

why does everyone think Wal-Mart is bad? these people that work at Wal mart push fucking carts and put items on the shelf!!! why do they need to make $10 or higher?? Come on. Dems need to get to real issues

Generic Poster
11-09-2006, 07:12 AM
In Michigan, the minimum wage was already increased to $7.05 an hour.

I know! Then every business shut down and fled Michigan because they could no longer make a profit, right? I mean, that's what the Repubs said would happen.

WinterRose
11-09-2006, 08:55 AM
why does everyone think Wal-Mart is bad? these people that work at Wal mart push fucking carts and put items on the shelf!!! why do they need to make $10 or higher?? Come on. Dems need to get to real issues

Gee, where to start...

Celebs Ignore 'Green' Wal-Mart's Worker Oppression
By Evan Derkacz, AlterNet. Posted October 20, 2006.
http://alternet.org/rights/43200/

EXCERPT: No single entity boasts more lawsuits against it than Wal-Mart. Class action suits in motion at the moment read like a pamphlet from the nascent worker's rights movements of the early 20th century. They include: gender discrimination, racial discrimination, unpaid wages, exploitation of undocumented workers, pressure to work overtime or off the clock, and denied lunch breaks. And those are just the class action suits.

Lest anyone think these claims frivolous, juries are siding with workers more often than not. The most recent decision, handed down earlier this month, awarded nearly $80 million in damages to Pennsylvania workers.

Yes they push carts and put items on shelves. And for this they should starve or not get adequate healthcare? How is what they're doing worthless? You may ask a grocery store worker in California that, by the way, where they managed to unionize and get 10 to 13 dollars an hour for workers right down to the bag boys.

Other things on Wal Mart... Let's see. Aside from driving mom&pop's on the retail end out of business, they're also driving mom&pops and small businesses on the production end out too. Wal Mart's reliance on cheap foreign product in its quest to keep its prices low leaves domestic producers and farmers out in the cold. Being unable to compete with foreign slave labor and products, or huge scale agribusiness conglomerates, family businesses often cannot come down to the prices that WalMart fixes for any given thing.

They are a decidedly fundamentalist christian entity in their philosophy, which extends to working hand in hand with Pat Robertson and Tipper Gore's 'Parents Music Resource Center', and are just fine with being able to shape the recording industry. Those lyrics might seem pretty progressive to you, Or controversial if that's what you're after. Your producer may want you to change them a bit if you want to get your album into Wal Mart. Given the saturation of their stores, you don't get into Wal Mart? You don't make any money on your album.

Healthcare for Wal Mart employees is priced prohibitively, intended to force the worker (usually part-time) to rely on government healthcare programs and welfare instead. It has been estimated that at least 1 dollar from the taxed portion of everyone's paycheck (at least in 2003) went to subsidizing the healthcare of Wal-Mart employees. Given their expansion rate, that's probably higher now. Check this out:

Wal-Mart's Rapidly Shrinking Benefits
By Cindy Zeldin, TomPaine.com. Posted October 17, 2006.
http://alternet.org/story/43094/

EXCERPT: Wal-Mart's health insurance options for 2007, dubbed the "value plan" and the "freedom plan," feature deductibles reaching as high as $6,000 for family coverage under the "freedom plan" -- meaning that a Wal-Mart employee selecting that plan would have to fork over $6,000 before insurance started covering their family's medical bills. That's a lot of money for a cashier earning Wal-Mart wages, and it begs some serious questions about how a deductible that high can be met without going into debt.

Finally, I've found a nice well-written article on The Case to Break Up Wal-Mart that goes into the more general effects and powers they have on our economy as a whole. The damage they've done, and the damage they're doing. Have a look here at: http://alternet.org/workplace/39251/

There's SEVERAL reasons there to grab people playing the pity violin for Wal-Mart and break it over their heads.

Dreg
11-09-2006, 09:32 AM

Can't pay for abortions without a decent minimum wage, man. One step at a time.

Thudpucker
11-09-2006, 09:44 AM
The company has said its costs would not be affected because it pays above the federal minimum, with an average full-time wage of $10.11 an hour.

That is interesting. I wonder what the average wage is for the part-time workers though? I assume Wal-Mart still classifies most of it's employees as 'part-time' and works them 40 hours a week right?

WinterRose
11-09-2006, 09:57 AM
That is interesting. I wonder what the average wage is for the part-time workers though? I assume Wal-Mart still classifies most of it's employees as 'part-time' and works them 40 hours a week right?

That would be correct, sir. The whole part-timing employees and setting them goals they can't meet to the degree that they have to work off the clock is SOP at Wal-Mart, who have had to defend themselves from 44 seperate class action suits for the practice, which they usually lose.

They pay their full time people 10 an hour. Now see if you can find one. The full-time wal-mart employees hang out with the abundant native american population that wasn't decimated at all over the years and go bowling every night.

Brad N.
11-09-2006, 10:56 AM
That would be correct, sir. The whole part-timing employees and setting them goals they can't meet to the degree that they have to work off the clock is SOP at Wal-Mart, who have had to defend themselves from 44 seperate class action suits for the practice, which they usually lose.

They pay their full time people 10 an hour. Now see if you can find one. The full-time wal-mart employees hang out with the abundant native american population that wasn't decimated at all over the years and go bowling every night.

"I've seen a motherfuckin polar bear riding a tricycle but I aint never seen two Indians just chillin at Red Lobster."

---Chris Rock