PDA

View Full Version : Y the Last Man - cause of the plague SPOILERS FOR #51

Ben
11-08-2006, 04:56 PM
First, let me start off saying that I LOOOOOOOOOVE Y the Last Man. It's one of my favorite comics, and it's usually teh first one I read on week's when it's released.

But... I really hope there's more to the cause of the plague that Dr. Mann's father believes. Yeah, I'm a scientist and know about evolution and shit, so of course I'm going to find problems. But he basically says that nature wiped out men the instant they became unnecessary. And he uses some made up story about apes learning to use tools from another island's monkeys or something as another example of this. This never happens, though. Nature isn't a force. It's a nice literary idea, which is why I had no problem with the ape tool story when it first appeared a couple issues ago. But to have that really be behind everything... it just sounds like a writer's view of how nature really works. I'd be really disappointed if BKV didn't do any research beyond what the average person knows about biology.

It seems obvious that he's done tons of research into magic tricks and literature for other parts of this comic, so I'm relatively confident there's more to this. Afterall, this is just one guy's opinion of what the cause was. And once Dr. Mann is less out-of-it, I'm sure she'll present more holes in his hypothesis (she already blasted him for claiming that there's some intelligent force at work before her morphine kicked in. Not to mention the fact that (1) all mammals with a Y chromosome were killed in the plague and (2) sheep, cats, etc. didn't die when they were cloned (in the world of the comic - these species were cloned in the late 90s before humans and they weren't killed off by 'nature').

Maybe the main problem is that this was hyped as the issue where "the cause is revealed!" If it hadn't been hyped as that, I would've taken this issue as just the vehicle for a small clue about the real cause and not worried about the bad science, assuming more details would be coming eventually.

That make any sense?

changingshades
11-08-2006, 05:08 PM
I dunno. I really liked this issue and it was up to the high quality of the series I expected, but I kind of liked not having definitive answers for the plague and then there was the whole Dr. Men thing. A pun of PAD-ian proportions

Ben
11-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I dunno. I really liked this issue and it was up to the high quality of the series I expected, but I kind of liked not having definitive answers for the plague and then there was the whole Dr. Men thing. A pun of PAD-ian proportionsEverythign else about this issue was totally awesome and great! The more I think about it, the less sense "Dr. Men's" explanation makes, so I'm sure he's wrong or is lying.

changingshades
11-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Everythign else about this issue was totally awesome and great! The more I think about it, the less sense "Dr. Men's" explanation makes, so I'm sure he's wrong or is lying.

don't forget crazy

oh do you think that 355 is dead?

Ben
11-08-2006, 05:21 PM
don't forget crazy

oh do you think that 355 is dead?I don't know! I hope not, but the series is ending in like 9 issues!

Ryan F
11-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I had the same problems (and more!)

From my Bought/Thought:

Y the Last Man #51 - This book has really gone downhill for me in the last couple of arcs. It seems to have completely abandoned its setting, themes, and most of the primary cast to give us a story of feuding East Asian scientists (who are ludicrous caricatures, to boot). The explanation for the plague (if it is the actual explanation) is too complicated, psuedo-scientific, and meaningless. I used to love this book, and I'm in for the rest of the series, but it needs to get back to form before it ends

DrMachine
11-08-2006, 05:31 PM
ugh, I'm reading it in trade, and if this turns out to be the reason I'm going to be pissed

Simps
11-08-2006, 05:45 PM
I remember reading an interview with BKV where he mentioned reading a message board thread early into the series (I want to say after the first few issues maybe) where people were guessing the cause, and like the 3rd post down nailed it, but then everyone on that thread dismissed the theory.

So that might help if you're trying to consider whether this is the "real" cause, is it plausible that someone on the net would have guessed it so early in the series?

Ben
11-08-2006, 05:53 PM
I remember reading an interview with BKV where he mentioned reading a message board thread early into the series (I want to say after the first few issues maybe) where people were guessing the cause, and like the 3rd post down nailed it, but then everyone on that thread dismissed the theory.

So that might help if you're trying to consider whether this is the "real" cause, is it plausible that someone on the net would have guessed it so early in the series?
It's plausible that someone would've thrown it out there as a crazy possibility because we knew in the first issue that Dr. Mann was giving birth to her clone. But... this can't be the reason. If any comic writers are reading this post, I would like to offer up my biological science consulting service for FREE! Just run your crazy plotpoint by me, and I'll tell you if it's close enough to how the world actually works to not be retarded.

But, like I said, I'm pretty sure this isn't the actual cause of the plague. It doesn't explain the dead cows.

Hate_Prime
11-08-2006, 05:56 PM
That would be so anticlimactic. I'd rather the plague remains a mere plot device that will never be explained in the end.

Blake Sims
11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
That would be so anticlimactic. I'd rather the plague remains a mere plot device that will never be explained in the end.
Yeah...

Jonny Z
11-08-2006, 06:05 PM
well i thought there was more to it than we know now because Yorick, dr mann, and ampersand all lived. i don't know what it is yet though...

Jew Mafia
11-08-2006, 07:39 PM

The way I look at it, the book has never really been about the plague. It's about Yorick, 355, and Dr. Mann. An i figure the ultimate payoff is going to be about Y and Beth more than anything, that's what has been the real drive/quest of the whole series.

Ryan F
11-08-2006, 07:51 PM
The way I look at it, the book has never really been about the plague. It's about Yorick, 355, and Dr. Mann. An i figure the ultimate payoff is going to be about Y and Beth more than anything, that's what has been the real drive/quest of the whole series.

That and some looks at gender politics through an all female society.

Instead, we've had several issues of ninjas, psuedo-science, and Dr. Mann mania. The book needs to get back to basics.

Liquid
11-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I thought the Sentinels wiped them out.

Flonk
11-08-2006, 10:02 PM
I don't remember the details, but.... That artifact leaving the country at the exact same time of the plauge is too big a coincidence to ignore.

Ben
11-08-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't remember the details, but.... That artifact leaving the country at the exact same time of the plauge is too big a coincidence to ignore.
Some dude probably farted right when the plague happened. That doesn't mean it's connected.

Flonk
11-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Some dude probably farted right when the plague happened. That doesn't mean it's connected.

Or some chick was rubbing one out.

YouStayClassy
11-09-2006, 01:48 AM
I feel there's more to it.... the scientist doesn't exactly seem all there, and the past couple years of what he's seen have probably wreacked havoc on an already fragile psyche.

nihilance
11-09-2006, 04:08 AM
I agree that the series doesn't seem to be of the same caliber it was before they left the US. I've figured Mann's father was alive since Toyota stole Ampersand, and that the plague would be traced back to him (at least as a red herring). But honestly none of that is really too important to me anymore. Neither is finding Beth. I love the characters and I want to see how it ends for each of them (even if it's not a nice ending).

The only mystery I'm really interested in still is the revelation of what Yorick saw in his vision back during "Safeword" that convinced him stop being suicidal.

SeanC
11-09-2006, 04:22 AM
I'm really interested in still is the revelation of what Yorick saw in his vision back during "Safeword" that convinced him stop being suicidal.

I think that is like Mayor Hundred's sexual orientation over in Ex Machina. It was deliberately left to the imagination of the reader because it's not as important as the fact that he does want to live now. If Vaughan revealed what it was there would be a sense of loss for me; I don't want to know.

Simps
03-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Okay, finally getting caught up, I'm thinking Dr. Mann's father's explanation doesn't make sense within the context of the story. Why would there be a vaccine to Mother Earth's realisation that men are no longer necessary?

Ben
03-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Okay, finally getting caught up, I'm thinking Dr. Mann's father's explanation doesn't make sense within the context of the story. Why would there be a vaccine to Mother Earth's realisation that men are no longer necessary?
And why would all mammals with a Y chromosome (though, I have to say... lots of fish, lizards, and insects have Y chromosomes, too...) die because HUMAN males became unnecessary?

evilgenius
03-19-2007, 03:08 AM
First, let me start off saying that I LOOOOOOOOOVE Y the Last Man. It's one of my favorite comics, and it's usually teh first one I read on week's when it's released.

But... I really hope there's more to the cause of the plague that Dr. Mann's father believes. Yeah, I'm a scientist and know about evolution and shit, so of course I'm going to find problems. But he basically says that nature wiped out men the instant they became unnecessary. And he uses some made up story about apes learning to use tools from another island's monkeys or something as another example of this. This never happens, though. Nature isn't a force. It's a nice literary idea, which is why I had no problem with the ape tool story when it first appeared a couple issues ago. But to have that really be behind everything... it just sounds like a writer's view of how nature really works. I'd be really disappointed if BKV didn't do any research beyond what the average person knows about biology.

It seems obvious that he's done tons of research into magic tricks and literature for other parts of this comic, so I'm relatively confident there's more to this. Afterall, this is just one guy's opinion of what the cause was. And once Dr. Mann is less out-of-it, I'm sure she'll present more holes in his hypothesis (she already blasted him for claiming that there's some intelligent force at work before her morphine kicked in. Not to mention the fact that (1) all mammals with a Y chromosome were killed in the plague and (2) sheep, cats, etc. didn't die when they were cloned (in the world of the comic - these species were cloned in the late 90s before humans and they weren't killed off by 'nature').

Maybe the main problem is that this was hyped as the issue where "the cause is revealed!" If it hadn't been hyped as that, I would've taken this issue as just the vehicle for a small clue about the real cause and not worried about the bad science, assuming more details would be coming eventually.

That make any sense?

Well, in that very same issue, they argue that the notion of that cause is ludicrous and pseudo-science, so it' can pretty much have it's legitimacy set at the same level as the other, "magical" reasons. Basically, it's just what the doctor believes, not what he's proven.

evilgenius
03-19-2007, 03:09 AM

Because Mother Nature is a right bitch that does what she sees fit.

Simps
03-19-2007, 03:42 AM
And why would all mammals with a Y chromosome (though, I have to say... lots of fish, lizards, and insects have Y chromosomes, too...) die because HUMAN males became unnecessary?
I thought about that too, and my only explanation is that because humans could clone them as well, maybe? That really doesn't add up either, because (as I think someone said before) they'd have died after Dolly was cloned, or at least all the sheep would have. I think Vaughan's better than this, and I suspect we'll have a better explanation by #60.

Ben
03-19-2007, 05:57 AM
I thought about that too, and my only explanation is that because humans could clone them as well, maybe? That really doesn't add up either, because (as I think someone said before) they'd have died after Dolly was cloned, or at least all the sheep would have. I think Vaughan's better than this, and I suspect we'll have a better explanation by #60.I'm much more confident (than I was when I started this thread) that he'll either give a better explanation or do a decent job rejecting the "mother nature no longer needed males" explanation leaving it up in the air.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-19-2007, 06:29 AM
I've always thought that the cause of the plague was totally unimportant to the story and merely a catalyst for the events that take place within the book.